• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Nah Gnostic it was built on the successful play of 2010. Early 2010 crowds weren't huge. The Ballymore game against the Blues for example didn't sell out.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Nah Gnostic it was built on the successful play of 2010. Early 2010 crowds weren't huge. The Ballymore game against the Blues for example didn't sell out.

Where did the successful play of 2010 come from?

I actually enjoyed watching the backline of 2009. The same plays with forward discipline and consistency, along with a vastly improved S&C regimen brought the success of 2010 & 2012. Conversely the decline in those led to ........

The poor crowds of 2009 improved through 2010 because of how they played the game. Contrast with NSW who were winning and making finals with each year's crowds worse than the year before because the game they played was unwatchable.

T

Train Without a Station

The successful play came from bringing a disciplined and structured approach.

Every team has good capable players. That's how they become professionals.

To say the Reds were some sort of revelation under Mooney ignores the complete lack of success he achieved with this allegedly brilliant attacking team.

I'm not saying failure to win the competition was not acceptable. But the team finished 13th 2 years on a row didn't it? It's not like they were a mid pack team that lacked the consistency and discipline to take the top teams. The were complete cellar dwellers.

I'd say if their success was built of their 2009 attacking play, punters would have lined up to get to the spiritual home of the reds, Ballymore for an early season match. Pretty sure they rolled the crusaders either in a trial or the week before too at that point.

Instead around 15,000, possibly below their 2009 season average, turned up for the game.

Clearly the majority didn't share your optimism at the time.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So will the big reveal will be at the Galah Ball?

Still a few holes in the roster to fill, including the marquee players Thompson and Tui.

T

Train Without a Station

Gnositc,

Just to follow up I researched the annual reports. The crowds were as follows:

vs Cheetahs 1/3/09 - 16,285
vs Sharks 14/3/09 - 20,582
vs Chiefs 28/3/09 - 21,041
vs Lions 18/4/09 - 15,597
vs Brumbies 2/5/09 - 19,346
vs Hurricanes 16/5/09 - 19,025

vs Waratahs 13/2/10 - 22,582
vs Crusaders - 19/2/10 - 17,880
vs Blues - 27/02/10 - 15,681
vs Force 14/3/10 - 20,016
vs Bulls 17/4/10 - 26,669
vs Stormers 23/4/10 - 30,259
vs Highlanders 15/5/10 - 26,700

The Waratahs game, traditionally the biggest game of the year only drew 3,000 more than the 2009 Brumbies game and 1,500 more than the biggest crowd of 2009. Clearly 2010 wasn't built off 2009. The lowest crowd of 2010 was less than 100 people more than the lowest crowd of 2009 despite the 2009 game being against our least supported away team and the 2010 against our strongest overseas supported team in the region. That was a week after rolling the Crusaders.

The success of 2011 was built off a successful season up to our SA tour in 2010. On our return the crowds for the last 3 games against overseas opposition who we don't have strong rivalries with and are probably in the weakest 5 supported away teams here at the time, were the highest of the season and in years. They brought in at least 4,000 more than the Waratahs game and 5,000 more than the 2009 peak crowd.

The commercial success came from 2010. Crowds indicated that not many people were as enamored as you by the Reds "dazzling" play of 2009.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ One would expect that would also include the likes of Fumiaki Tanaka at Highlanders and all the other Japanese "development" marquee players. Keita Inagaki, Michael Leitch, Kotaro Matsushimai and Akihito Yamada were aligned with a Super Rugby Franchise this season.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
You'd think so but there was an article a while back suggesting he was keen to stay at the reds, may have something to do with the current state of contracting for the Japanese team. Could also depend in what Michael leitch ends up doing.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

B

Bobby Sands

You'd think so but there was an article a while back suggesting he was keen to stay at the reds, may have something to do with the current state of contracting for the Japanese team. Could also depend in what Michael leitch ends up doing.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Potentially also that he felt he was injured all year, and wanted to repay the organisation so to speak. I would have no problems seeing him play for the Japanese franchise, but it would be good to see him back at Ballymore.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
So will the big reveal will be at the Galah Ball?

Still a few holes in the roster to fill, including the marquee players Thompson and Tui.
Gilly to pick up Pilecki Award from Kerevi. Only other possible is Slipper.
Probably same for Peoples Choice.

Hopefully some news about some new blood..

Most important: Hopefully an announcement about new Head Coach

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Hope shit is worked out for the Japanese side. Kriel was always going to re-sign with the Chiefs, but they need to get most of the others back IMO. The Japanese national side plus 6-8 foriegners would make them competitive, but with no news it is ominous.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Gilly to pick up Pilecki Award from Kerevi. Only other possible is Slipper.
Probably same for Peoples Choice.

Hopefully some news about some new blood..

Most important: Hopefully an announcement about new Head Coach

Good topic.

award tips:

Pileckie Medal: Liam Gill
Peoples Choice: Samu Kerevi
Most Improved: Chris Kuridrani
Rising Star: Lolo Fakaosilea
Spirit of the Reds: Lachlan Turner
Wider Training Squad: Marco Kotze?

Hall of Fame inductees: Alec Evans, Bob Templeton & Chris Latham or David Wilson.

T

Train Without a Station

Plus the money saved wouldn't be much good without replacements. And then also considering that player salaries come out of the ARU salary grant, the money won't go anywhere else.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Geez Reds all this hubbub about changes.......fuck it, I am in again next year for a family ticket.

The year Ewan signed I got a call from the Reds asking why I had not renewed my membership, I said because they didn't even have a coach.....then Ewan signed. 2010 is a year I regret not being a member because they turned it around and started to pay back the us fans. Will 2016 pan out like 2010, I don't know but I will be there to watch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.