• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

redveincheese

Billy Sheehan (19)
I remarked earlier that he can't possibly fail this coming season.

RG's past results have set a very low benchmark - he was reappointed with 3 wins. He has the "added bonus" of having a very "raw" team this year compared to the previous teams filled with developed talent. Therefore he can afford fewer wins this year.

A zero win season can easily be justified as a "rebuild year" and/or "necessary learning period" and other crap.

We are going to need a rebuild phase for the next few years after our current rebuild is complete.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ from behind the PayWall:

"Think what you like of Queensland boss Richard Graham’s coaching ability but there is little doubt he is one of the unluckiest coaches in Super Rugby, with Liam Gill joining the Reds’ mounting injury toll before the season has even started.

"The Reds will open their 2016 campaign with a match against the old enemy, NSW, in Sydney on Saturday, but before a ball has been kicked in anger the Queenslanders have lost three of their best players.

"Lock Kane Douglas was first to be ruled out, with a knee injury sustained in the World Cup final, then captain and Test loosehead James Slipper required shoulder surgery. And now Gill has been sidelined for at least the first four games with a stress fracture of his lower back.

"The injury is unrelated to the heavy knock he suffered during the trial against the Brumbies on February 13 but a subsequent examination proved the truth of former Australian wicketkeeper Brad Haddin’s claim that no good ever came of having precautionary scans.

"It is deeply disappointing news for Gill, who was the runaway winner of the Pilecki Medal by a record margin last season. He is in his final season before heading off to France, and while Wallabies coach Michael Cheika has already indicated he has plans for the brilliant openside flanker this year, the window won’t stay open for long if he is battling injury.

"But arguably it is worse news for Graham. The Reds have been dogged by injuries for the past two seasons and, while the Queensland rugby fraternity has never cut the coach any slack because of the horrendous casualty list, there is little doubt it has had an impact.

"Graham’s coaching survival will surely be determined before the Super Rugby season is even half over, yet it’s unlikely Gill, Slipper or Douglas, Wallabies all, will have played any rugby by that point.

"Gill’s absence will particularly be felt at Allianz Stadium on Saturday night when the Reds come up against Waratahs skipper Michael Hooper, the man who might well have been acclaimed as the best backrower at the World Cup were it not for David Pocock.

"Still, it opens the door for former Churchie and Australian Schoolboys backrower Michael Gunn to make his Super Rugby debut, unless Graham decides to go for experience by choosing regular blindside flanker Curtis Browning when he names his side this morning.

"Hendrick Tui, Japan’s World Cup backrower, will hopefully get to make more of an impact than last season when a leg injury restricted him to the final two games, while Jake Schatz should round out the loose forward trio at No 8. With captain Rob Simmons, he has been one of the Reds’ surest lineout winners in recent years.

"Tui's Japanese teammate, Ayumu Goromaru, who scored 24 points in the astonishing victory by the Brave Blossoms over two-time world champions South Africa in September, almost certainly will have to bide his time on the reserves bench before getting his first taste of Super Rugby.

"Given that he has spent only the past fortnight at Ballymore, Goromaru will not be rushed by Graham, although the Reds have so few scoring weapons at their disposal it would be astonishing if he is left languishing on the bench for long.

"It is doubtful the Reds have ever started a Super Rugby campaign with such low expectations. Every upset victory stretching back to Thermopylae has been cited this week as proof that a Reds victory on Saturday is not out of the question.

"That may be and they may well conquer the Tahs. But if so, their captain Simmons will surely be sporting a new nickname on Sunday morning: Leonidas."

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm not sure USA. Most of last years memories have been successfully repressed but I thought that he was one of the harsher critics?

In any case we can probably start cutting and pasting in from the 2015 thread now.

"It's déjà vu all over again"

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Didn't Wayne write some odd stuff last year that more or less sounded like passive barracking for Graham?

Pretty sure he did.

This from Jim Tucker in the CM a coupla days ago caught my eye:

"A MID-SEASON review of Richard Graham’s performance as Reds coach is certain now influential backer Rod McCall has stood down as Queensland Rugby Union chairman."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...n/news-story/1b965a7bec1e450633b22979f5912f50

There's what appears to be a similar piece ("Rod McCall's exit could signal end for Reds coach Richard Graham") in the Strayan but I can't get behind that particular paywall to confirm...........

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
RG is no more (or less) "ünlucky" than any other coach ever is.

There are plenty of seasons of injury woe for any number coaches over their careers that have caused havoc for their plans, but their systems and preparations have allowed them to muddle their way through and maintain some results (Ewen had a rough trot with injuries throughout 2012/2013 and we did OK).

There are no excuses for RG's results to be made here.

He has been dealt the same as any coach has ever been dealt, with the exception not being held responsible for his team's performance.

A part of me is empathetic to his plight, but the situation is his to deal with and how he copes with it will show just what sort of coach he truly is.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Not quite right Gel. A coach is considered unlucky if they have a run of injuries and they suck as a result. If a coach has the same run of injuries and continues with their onfield success then the injuries are just part of the game. ;)

T

TOCC

Lolo Fakaosilea has a ruptured hamstring from the Brumbies trial, that's in addition to Adam Korcyzk who did his ACL? In preseason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Douglas, Slipper and Korczyk have been known for months and should well and truly be covered with the team planning. In deed where we are in the front row and locks looks good to me. Luck has nothing to do with it.

Lolo and Gill are unexpected injuries. I'd have a smidge more sympathy for RG if he hadnt given every appearance of deliberately pissing off Gill over the seasons. (Ditto pretty much any Red of experience.)

The toll of unexpected injuries is small. We havent kicked off round one and we already see RG apologists hitting the tape. I realise that professional coaching is a harsh world and that every person is a critic. But honest, he is years past being given the benefit of doubt.

Dickie, quit the bitching and get on with it. We are over it.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
The Reds knew well in advance that both Slipper and Douglas were by in large going to miss this Super Season. Alternatives could/should have been arranged in they were concerned about the pickle the injuries would put them in.

As Slipper wasn't allowed to get surgery on his shoulders prior to the WC and Douglas injury happening in the WC Final/under Wallaby control, I'm sure the ARU would have allowed special consideration for the Reds to sign two additional players and allow the ARU to cover some of the cost.

Gill's injury should be treated as business as usual, you play rugby games, you expect casualties. Douglas while a loss, is covered quite well by Simmons and Neville. Meaning that extra money could have been spent securing a replacement for Slipper. Perhaps an Argie prop would have been willing to forgo a winter in Europe for a super season?

T

TOCC

I didn't mention those injuries to get sympathy RG, i couldn't care less about that subject..

I mentioned them because this is the Reds 2016 thread and thats usually where that sort of thing goes, the extent of Lolo's injury was previously unknown, and in addition to Gill it means the Reds are down 3 backrower's, there aren't any more backrower's in the squad behind those named for the Tahs match or injured.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Reds bench has got nothing (apart from maybe Goro & Talakai)? Hooper v Browning. No contest. Can't afford to have the luxury of leaving Goro on the bench. Stupid (unless he's carrying niggling injuries). Going to get belted.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I didn't mention those injuries to get sympathy RG, i couldn't care less about that subject..

I mentioned them because this is the Reds 2016 thread and thats usually where that sort of thing goes, the extent of Lolo's injury was previously unknown, and in addition to Gill it means the Reds are down 3 backrower's, there aren't any more backrower's in the squad behind those named for the Tahs match or injured.

TOCC I was thinking about the paywall article. Not your info.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
RG made the decision to let Beau and Quirk go. No sympathy.

I think he's chosen reasonably on that front. I think Browning was already ahead of Quirk and Robinson whilst a great clubman is certainly getting old and Gunn is presumably on minimum wage. If he could have kept Robinson on a similar minimum wage then maybe there was more of an argument to be had, but Gunn is surely an investment in the future.

I think there's potentially been some mistakes in the past when you look at players they've missed out on like Sean McMahon, but that happens to every team. It's hard to decide whether the guy you've invested a couple of years in should be ditched in order to sign a kid fresh out of school.

Status
Not open for further replies.