• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Mick Byrne.

Shane Arnold as attack coach is fast discovering his ain't U20s nor club rugby any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
isnt Mick Byrne the wallabies skills trainer?

I meant who is the reds fulltime skills trainer?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
There appears to be a distinct lack of direction and of a common understanding of what the game plan is when we have the ball.

The Reds had enough ball on the weekend to win two games. 9 & 10 are problem areas, even with QC (Quade Cooper) fit.

The set piece and forward grunt is there, as is the firepower in the backline. It is just not being directed well which comes down to leadership, coaching and the halves.

Ulrich said it.

The forwards aren't going forward. Its not simply attitude and muscle, it's organisation. We hold the pill well but do little.

That missing organisation I would cal an essential part of the game plan.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Look, many of us wondered how the rookie coaching team would go. I know the conversation will irritate those here closer to the Reds than others, but honest. The run of decissions related to coaches has been worthy of discussion. This time round I was not convinced of the heavy involvement of the ARU.

Coaching pathways are important, but simply dropping guys in is not a pathway. So now they learn on the job. Except that we see the possession stat dominate - not new, nor is its ineffectiveness as implemented new.

Quade and Slipper out was always going to be a test. This year for me is about how those coaches develop. No panic at this stage, but we'll be moving slow till they work out a couple of issues. Not at all sure this is simply "accuracy" - definitely think changes or improvements are needed to gameplan/structure.

If we are aping WB systems (suggested earlier this year by the ARU and note Byrne's involvement) then start with the forward pods. Follow up with the rush defence.

On a positive, I thought Vanzati looks the goods for a newcomer.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Look, many of us wondered how the rookie coaching team would go. I know the conversation will irritate those here closer to the Reds than others, but honest. The run of decissions related to coaches has been worthy of discussion. This time round I was not convinced of the heavy involvement of the ARU.

Coaching pathways are important, but simply dropping guys in is not a pathway. So now they learn on the job. Except that we see the possession stat dominate - not new, nor is its ineffectiveness as implemented new.

Quade and Slipper out was always going to be a test. This year for me is about how those coaches develop. No panic at this stage, but we'll be moving slow till they work out a couple of issues. Not at all sure this is simply "accuracy" - definitely think changes or improvements are needed to gameplan/structure.

If we are aping WB systems (suggested earlier this year by the ARU and note Byrne's involvement) then start with the forward pods. Follow up with the rush defence.

On a positive, I thought Vanzati looks the goods for a newcomer.
In the RSA we follow the same "chuck in a new coach and see how it goes". Last year the most experienced Super Rugby coach was Johan Ackerman and he was in his second year. All other franchises had fresh coaches.

It takes time to develop as a coach as much as it does for a player. Hence our discontent towards Stick for the Boks' backline coach last year having only coached U19 and then the Kings so effectively 2 seasons and that being a 7s player formally. He has been demoted to SA U20 and was requested to help coach the 7s but said he wanted to focus more on the 15s game so kudos to him.

The Reds' coaching staff will get it right. They are starting with the basics I believe and following an interview with Stiles after the Lions game he said his team endeavours to play a similar high-tempo game.

As I am saying to my folk over here. Don't expect the Springboks to be much improved this year. Wait for next year at least.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
^^^ Ulrich, yes they have been thrown in, but as far as I can see coaching pathways are a zillion miles ahead in RSA compared to Aus. Guys work through varsity 19s 21s before they hit pro in CC. And then to Super.

We go Premier, Super. Few of our Premier teams would rustle a sweat out of Currie Cup first division. In the Reds case the pathway for the assistants seems to have been Premier, ARU age group role, Super.

I like each of the guys in our coaching team, presentable friendly seeming blokes. Hope they pull it together, for us and them.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
^^^ Ulrich, yes they have been thrown in, but as far as I can see coaching pathways are a zillion miles ahead in RSA compared to Aus. Guys work through varsity 19s 21s before they hit pro in CC. And then to Super.

We go Premier, Super. Few of our Premier teams would rustle a sweat out of Currie Cup first division. In the Reds case the pathway for the assistants seems to have been Premier, ARU age group role, Super.

I like each of the guys in our coaching team, presentable friendly seeming blokes. Hope they pull it together, for us and them.
While that may be true.

The average South African is dumb.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I would like to add that I am taking a day off work tomorrow so I can watch my non-biological child play rugby at an away game.

Schools rugby is huge in SA. He is in Grade 3.

I recall being taught run straight and tackle low. Honourable things I suppose, but the game has changed and I'd like to hear the input of the coaches or become a coach myself from next year if possible (as his dad is) so I can emphasise the necessity of core skills (I.E passing the pill - so much lacking in this country, a Springbok, Faf de Klerk, seems to pass head-high at least 50% of the time).

Don't tell me it's just a South African conundrum either, because after looking at this footage it appears we used to play really good rugby so somewhere along the line something went wrong.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I recall being taught run straight and tackle low...

Don't tell me it's just a South African conundrum either, because after looking at this footage it appears we used to play really good rugby so somewhere along the line something went wrong.
Nothing to see in the footage.
Just big fast men running straight. Passing the ball in front of the support player. Draw and pass with aplomb. Forwards with ball handling skills. A leather ball (I assume) held onto. Swift reaction times. Running onto the pass.
Nothing to see here. Move along.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Nothing to see in the footage.

Just big fast men running straight. Passing the ball in front of the support player. Draw and pass with aplomb. Forwards with ball handling skills. A leather ball (I assume) held onto. Swift reaction times. Running onto the pass.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Apparently no comparisons can be made because the game has apparently changed.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
^^^^
Excellent input yourself TOCC

I think the comment was that current players don't have half the skills of those before. Well that is just a laughable statement on it's own.

What ! They only tackle half as good as the oldies, only pass half as good as the oldies, only kick half as good, only catch half as good.

Players today are bigger, fitter, probably faster and dare I say it, more skilled. The game is far more complicated, particularly in the forwards. The refereeing is totally different , cameras are everywhere and from all angles. They actually have TMO's and replays. The forwards actually are all over the field as opposed to being like a school of mullet.

Best I could do

Shit in the ancient days, if cameras were used there would probably only be the referee left on the park. Players would receive multiple Y/C's and reds everywhere.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
The biggest change has to be the physical changes. Your average winger these days wont weigh less than 95kg. Used to be smaller and nimbler. Now it's all about size and power. Thanks Jonah Lomu (RIP).

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
AS othrs have said, I reckon it's easily the defensive line speed, and ability for (most!) players to actually undertake an effective tackle is the biggest change.

Have a look at that video (4:15) and look how much time the 10 has to run sideways before passing to the hard runner

He'd be smashed after taking two steps these days.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Actually TOCC you actually got me thinking on the broad assertion made that skills were "halved" when comparing current players to those of the past eons.

The only major difference I can think of when comparing respective playing groups (of all Australian franchises) is that the current crop has a huge Pacific Islander influence (whether by migration or heritage). Is there an overall skills problem with this group within a group ?

Nowadays we even have Skills Coaches (I think).

Look forward to your comment

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Actually TOCC you actually got me thinking on the broad assertion made that skills were "halved" when comparing current players to those of the past eons.

The only major difference I can think of when comparing respective playing groups (of all Australian franchises) is that the current crop has a huge Pacific Islander influence (whether by migration or heritage). Is there an overall skills problem with this group within a group ?

Nowadays we even have Skills Coaches (I think).

Look forward to your comment

Skills haven't halved, it's just defenses now imply a rush defense that gives you such little time on the ball, skills are harder to execute. Half the problem with Australia rugby is that we are picking teams and playing like it's 2007 and not 2017

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
All right skills are the same some examples:-
1) With the Old leather ball players could before the change of the rule kick the ball dead from their own 10 metre line, 60+ metres. Now with heaps of time on their hands we rarely see an Australian back clear the halfway line a distance of 28M. That's about half I reckon.
2) Name me two centres in both 12 and 13 who can pass the ball from both hands accurately while moving at more than walking pace AND show me in game proof of it. I can post lots of proof that they can't, even while static passing to a static receiver.
3) Not picking on Quade Cooper but his is the most current example - why after 6 years as a professional player is his defence still an issue with base technique? To assuage the QC (Quade Cooper) defence team I would point to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) who showed last year he has not developed an effective pass (though I can remember him executing once in all his tests (in the last RWC).

Every single game that moron Tim Horan, aided and abetted by the rest of the Foxsports commentators, commentates he begins before the game has started with excuses about how it is "dewy" or humid and there will be sweat on the ball. The NZ teams played in a downpour the other week and dropped less pill.

My rose coloured glasses do make my memories of games past and achievements greater, but when I watch basic techniques like holding the ball to pass, positioning to execute a kick the older guys at the top of the game were just much better than the current guys.

Why is this so, I have postulated that they just do not spend enough time in junior ranks and then through young adulthood building these skills in depth. They don't play enough games at a lower level and so when that pressure comes on the technique just falls apart.

How many modern "professionals" take the approach of Jonny Wilkinson with his place kicking, how many hone their hand eye co-ordination like Bradman with the stump and ball against the water tank?

I've seen it in many other fields that have been "professionalised" with pseudo training and ridiculous KPIs and massive commensurate salaries when these are met, but performance, actual performance declines and individuals have in the organisations I have been involved in have taken the "professional" view of ticking the boxes and doing what is required and when it all turns to shit they just cannot understand why as they have met their KPIs and done what was required every step of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.