• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
If this is the basis upon which Australia are trying to emulate the NZ coaching pathways system, we are well and truly fucked.

What an absolutely perverted viewpoint - as if the nationality of the coaches has anything to do with it and as if the system itself doesn't have everything to do with it.

It was so disappointing to wake up this morning to realize that I did not, in fact, dream that I read this.

I am still clinging to hope that todd4 is embellishing or has suffered some sort of catastrophic memory failure.

The level of retardation it takes to come up with such an inbred mentality divorced from any type of performance-related metrics is actually making my head spin.

I can't believe that there are people in power within the ARU that actually believe that having all-Aussie coaching teams is some kind of solution when so many of them are measurably, visibly, and demonstrably NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

The criteria for being a head coach should be closer to:

1) Are they good enough?
2) Do they have a reasonable amount of top-flight experience leading into this gig?
3) Does their coaching style win games and put bums on seats by it's own merit?
54) Are they Australian?

It's the kind of mentality I'd expect to hear espoused by one of Trump's talking heads..

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
I
It was so disappointing to wake up this morning to realize that I did not, in fact, dream that I read this.

I am still clinging to hope that todd4 is embellishing or has suffered some sort of catastrophic memory failure.

The level of retardation it takes to come up with such an inbred mentality divorced from any type of performance-related metrics is actually making my head spin.

I can't believe that there are people in power within the ARU that actually believe that having all-Aussie coaching teams is some kind of solution when so many of them are measurably, visibly, and demonstrably NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

The criteria for being a head coach should be closer to:

1) Are they good enough?
2) Do they have a reasonable amount of top-flight experience leading into this gig?
3) Does their coaching style win games and put bums on seats by it's own merit?
54) Are they Australian?

It's the kind of mentality I'd expect to hear espoused by one of Trump's talking heads..

It's interesting that so many experts are saying our coaching pathways arnt good enough, our coaches arnt good enough and we need to overhaul our coach development systems etc....yet the ARU still insist that these coaches MUST have the top jobs immediately....completely ridiculous. That being said there are some quality aussie coaches , however some are quite old or overseas! I think the force did a great job with their assistant coaches. I think the Reds having 2 rookie professional coaches, with a rookie head coach is absurd. At least have EITHER Gilmore or Arnold, not both.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
One of the most baffling parts for me has always been that U-20's seem to be the last step before you get nominated for a Super Rugby gig in Australia.

Uh, well, have any of them ever noticed our U-20's aren't exactly all that great most of the time?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Personally I think our pathways are fine - it's more the quality of the "coach" making application for the job.

No-one expects a rookie assistant coach to be a champion within a year or 2 but he/she need to have the pre-requisites (potential) to be a good Head Coach.

We are missing that type of personell

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Personally I think our pathways are fine - it's more the quality of the "coach" making application for the job.

No-one expects a rookie assistant coach to be a champion within a year or 2 but he/she need to have the pre-requisites (potential) to be a good Head Coach.

We are missing that type of personell

I think the pathway itself is fine, it's the speed at which people progress and their success in the roles that is a problem. I'd suggest that having Super Rugby Assistant Coaches as the Head Coach of NRC team might give them 'Head Coach Experience', but it also limits coaching opportunities for Prem Grade and u20 coaches to which NRC is the next progression. However to be an NRC coach, you have to have earned it through success as a Prem or u20 coach, not just have been one. Likewise, if you are the coach of a very poor NRC team, how can you say you have learnt the appropriate skills and gained the experiences to somehow become a successful Super Rugby coach?

In NZ I'd suggest that only the outstanding ITM Cup coaches get offered gigs at Super Rugby level or Overseas in a pyramid model. Our coaching structure once you get to State u20/NRC and Super Rugby seems to be more of a square. Doesn't matter if you're actually good, because you followed the pathway then you get the job.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
It's a bit dual-fold because of how much higher in quality their equivalent competitions are from the moment they step out of school and start playing/coaching Senior Rugby (can't speak to quality of schoolboy competitions and in a discussion about coaching it will never be relevant anyway... same deal as with College gridiron coaches and NFL coaches - they may as well be completely different sports).

Scott Robertson doing 5 years as an understudy/assistant for Canterbury alone knocks the socks off most of our current Super Rugby coaches XV's in terms of the quality of the competition, quality of the play from his side, and their success level in such a competition.

Agree 100% with your remarks at the end there Upthereds.. sometimes it feels like going through the motions is good enough for selection..

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I don't know what to think of us being in the hunt for the finals. Take it I guess but we just don't deserve it.

This whole race to top the conference for that finals berth is like racing to be the cherry on the turd.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
I don't know what to think of us being in the hunt for the finals. Take it I guess but we just don't deserve it.

This whole race to top the conference for that finals berth is like racing to be the cherry on the turd.

This is the scariest part.

We are having an all-time bad season. The only reason we likely won't likely set any points against is the Bulls game in 2007.

This should tell you everything you need you need to know. It took a 89 point loss for our defensive stats to be worse than this year. If the Bulls only beat us by 60, this year would be our worst year.

We averaged 4.0 tries against in 2007 (including the 13 the Bulls scored in the last game). We average 4.0 tries against in 2017.

The Rebels are the worst non-Southern Kings side in Super Rugby history and it took us 78 minutes to beat them.

This is the kind of season that no one should survive, yet we are still a chance of making the finals. Unbelievable.

Turtle

Bob McCowan (2)
Quade Cooper - lucky he's got boxing. Has been useless for the Reds. Was terrible for Toulon as well. There's some 5/8s in club rugby who are heaps better, can tackle as well. Not sure why they put an U20 dude on the bench when they're afraid to put him on the field. Guess that's been the Reds mentality for a long time, gutless...

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Quade Cooper - lucky he's got boxing. Has been useless for the Reds. Was terrible for Toulon as well. There's some 5/8s in club rugby who are heaps better, can tackle as well. Not sure why they put an U20 dude on the bench when they're afraid to put him on the field. Guess that's been the Reds mentality for a long time, gutless.

Best.post.ever.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
And I thought my post about QC (Quade Cooper) a few weeks ago was pretty rough :confused:

To be fair I can't say the Rebels game changed my opinion too much because, all due respect, it's the fucking Rebels. QC (Quade Cooper) exploited the space well but what's he going to do when those giant spaces aren't there because the defense is actually organized and functioning properly? The positioning from the Rebels wings was generally atrocious and afforded him far more opportunity than he's going to see against the decent/good sides in Super.

He could have easily been carded in his very first tackle of the game for blatantly attacking the head of the player.

His goal kicking is as fucked as his plant leg/foot seem to be - it's actually a wonder to me how any coaching staff can think a kicker who needs that much strapping on their plant leg is going to have a good time kicking for sticks. Is there nobody else in the prospective XV that's kicked goals at a reasonable level in their combined decades of playing time?

Guy needs to go to the top of a mountain for a week with a world-class physio and find himself again.

nightnday

Allen Oxlade (6)
QLD Premier Rugby 2017
I have just read this post over on the QLD Premiers thread. Well done to Stiles' on this matter. Also shows that his recent decisions to send Frisby and Ready back to their respective Clubs should not have been a shock to them after seeing what happened to Paraka. Frisby is back in the frame but I wonder how Ready is feeling? I'm sure his agent must be looking overseas for him now...

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
QC (Quade Cooper) lost his mojo a few years ago. Sure he brings one out every now and again but consistency has goooooone.

He is now just a standard 10, not particularly good and one that cannot kick to an acceptable Super level

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Nah, if QC (Quade Cooper) still had a running game like Foley I don't think we'd be having this discussion.

QLD Premier Rugby 2017
I have just read this post over on the QLD Premiers thread. Well done to Stiles' on this matter. Also shows that his recent decisions to send Frisby and Ready back to their respective Clubs should not have been a shock to them after seeing what happened to Paraka. Frisby is back in the frame but I wonder how Ready is feeling? I'm sure his agent must be looking overseas for him now.

Depressing - you'd hope that a young guy like Ready would back himself to improve his set piece and rediscover the form that got him selected to begin with not all that long ago.

Lee Enfield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Yeah, but it evens out again, as Foley doesn't have Coopers passing game, but at least Quade can kick it further.

Both players are equally flawed, but with different limitations.

Status
Not open for further replies.