• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Allegedly Quade is leaning towards signing with the Rebels right now but Nasser/QC (Quade Cooper) are receiving pushback from the current Rebs sponsors because of how Cips/JOC (James O'Connor)/Beale panned out for the club.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Say it ain't so USA. I have a lot of hope pinned on Quade coming back. A lot.
I just don't know who we might play at 10 if we don't get him. Our world wide search for a number 10 last year went about as well as our world wide search for a head coach when RG was reappointed.
I can't do another season of J-Mac playing 10. We have all the makings of a seriously good side next year. Chuck in a world class HC and 10 and we are contenders. Without those two but, I don't see us improving much if at all on this season.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I was just thinking of who would be a good 10 for us that we might have a chance of attracting if we don't get Quade back.

Highlanders are my second team and I was super pleased when they picked up Marty Banks after watching come through the ITM cup.
He's off contract at the end of this season, is stuck behind Sopoanga and they also have Hayden Parker there as extra competition for the 10 jersey.
I think he'd be a good fit for us and whilst not being 'world class' I think his style would work well with our backs.
Our marquee spot is vacant isn't it?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Say it ain't so USA. I have a lot of hope pinned on Quade coming back. A lot.
I just don't know who we might play at 10 if we don't get him. Our world wide search for a number 10 last year went about as well as our world wide search for a head coach when RG was reappointed.
I can't do another season of J-Mac playing 10. We have all the makings of a seriously good side next year. Chuck in a world class HC and 10 and we are contenders. Without those two but, I don't see us improving much if at all on this season.

We should buy out Debreczeni's contract if QC (Quade Cooper) goes to Melbourne and have him as our 10.

As much as I love QC (Quade Cooper) I think Jack would be a great 10 at the Reds and would be easier for the team to adjust to.

RECZENI

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Allegedly Quade is leaning towards signing with the Rebels right now but Nasser/QC (Quade Cooper) are receiving pushback from the current Rebs sponsors because of how Cips/JOC (James O'Connor)/Beale panned out for the club.

That's quite a curious thing as i would figure from a marketing standpoint its a win / win for a sponsor; extra press (media attention) and possibly better results.

Purely speculating, but i cant help wonder if its more about commitment - noting his record of late committing to anything especially playing contracts. It's a business investment for them so they will want it to be pretty binding and some of it could be posturing after Cips/JOC (James O'Connor)/Beale.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
We should buy out Debreczeni's contract if QC (Quade Cooper) goes to Melbourne and have him as our 10.

As much as I love QC (Quade Cooper) I think Jack would be a great 10 at the Reds and would be easier for the team to adjust to.

RECZENI

You may find some of the Rebels supporters will be happy to "gift" him to the Reds, especially if QC (Quade Cooper) signs!;)

T

TOCC

Hmm the Rebels don't have a major sponsor, they haven't all season

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member

RECZENI
I've watch Jack play and I can't see why you'd want him here.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)

Quade most probably asked who the coach at the Reds would be next season and the QRU refused to tell him.....

Or maybe one of those 7 on the shortlist has the initials R.G. :eek:

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
ISM is an owner rather than a sponsor but is in it to make money so would have a similar concern for image to what a sponsor does.

However I am surprised that Quade is considered a risk now. He's grown up a lot and he was never the worst of the musketeers anyway.

Personally if Quade goes to the Rebels, I agree that somebody in Marty Banks's position is the way to go. There are any number of Kiwis who aren't going to get a serious shot at the All Blacks the next couple of years, or even as first choice 10 for a Super team.

Unfortunately our ability to attract a genuine marquee 10 is limited by a) the Reds' poor performance and b) the salary cap, as evidenced by last year's failed attempt. It doesn't leave a lot of other options:

1. Pilfer another Australian 10 (which we botched last year by passing on Jono Lance)
2. Go with a homegrown 10 (J Mac not working, Greene gone, Mason still too new to be our starting 10)
3. Get an up-and-coming 10 from NZ, ITM or bench/fringe Super player

Given pilfer opportunities are very limited, and none of the juniors are suitable, #3 is the one I'd be pursuing.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Consider Africa as well.

Does anyone remember Boschoff? Hit soup hard when the Lions entered but fell out of favour. Spent some time in CC but now has moved to Europe. Would have been heaps better than MacIntyre and clearly was available. There will be others.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Good point re: SA. In fact SA 10s are probably better suited to the current, stolid Reds style. In addition they tend to be quality goalkickers which is another area the Reds have been struggling in.

Status
Not open for further replies.