• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
What the fucking hell does understanding the DNA of QLD rugby have to do with being a good coach? At a time we need to move away from the perception of jobs for mates this is the first thing the GM has to say.
And also - Statistically one of the more dominant set pieces? That fills me with confidence.

This. Fuck me! Of all the things they could say in this announcement, those two statements were about as stupid as they come.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

Prior to the Chiefs job Dave Rennie had only been a senior head coach at NPC level. His one time as a Super Rugby assistant, the Hurricanes finished 9th of 12. His last appointment as an NPC Head Coach was with Manawatu from 2005 to 2011.

In 2005 Manawatu were in the 2nd division. From 2006 to 2010 (they were relegated to the 2nd division for 2011) they won a total of 10 games, never winning more than 4 games in a single season.

Compared to Rennie's senior rugby experience, Stiles appears to be reasonably well qualified.

TWAS, perhaps accidentally you have left off one crucial element of Rennie's pre-Chiefs period.

Namely, for 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 he coached the NZ U20s team to championship status every year. That's no mean feat, U20s is a tougher gig than it looks as the young players are in transition both physically and mentally, the teams and the overall competition can be quite volatile.

Since 2012, NZ has only won the world U20s once.

Reactions: gel

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Don't get me wrong, I'm still optimistic about next season and I remain hopeful that the process did select the best candidate but I guess more than anything, what I wanted to erase the pain of the last few years was a clear message from HQ that they were stepping away from the QLD Old Boys mentality and moving into a new era of professional administration. I could rationalise that Nick's appointment still fit with this direction but those words from Herbert perfectly summed up what has stunk about the Reds administration for the last few years in particular.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I don't have a problem with the DNA comment - AS LONG AS HE WAS THE BEST CANDIDATE, AND CHOSEN FOR THE RIGHT REASONS.

If Stiles was the best candidate AND A QUEENSLANDER AS WELL then great.

The comments of some posters on here seem to be that a bloke should be precluded if he was a Queenslander. THAT IS A JOKE !!!!

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I don't have a problem with the DNA comment - AS LONG AS HE WAS THE BEST CANDIDATE, AND CHOSEN FOR THE RIGHT REASONS.

The comments of some posters on here seem to be that a bloke should be precluded if he was a Queenslander. THAT IS A JOKE !!!!

Agreed. The DNA comment was just that, a comment. I doubt it was the reason he was selected as head coach.

T

Train Without a Station

RH. I specifically left that off because it was not senior coaching experience.

In age group competitions there is so little time spent actually developing the squad. The bulk of the work is done outside and you get the team for tournaments and the lead up only. You also benefit from the players who physically have developed earlier than others. How many U20 players are physically ready for senior level professional rugby? The teams that do well generally have more of these players.

Rennie would have relied on a great deal of work done by others as part of that, with very few players returning annually.

With the ITM Cup he is required to build and develop a team. Everybody is reliant of the levels below of course, but you have a season where you pick and mould the squad from start to finish, and then build off that the next year.

In the U20s by the time he stamped his mark on a group of players, they've progressed due to age. Perhaps Robertson has just been a poor coach since? They did win the U20s championships both years before Rennie coached so perhaps they have a good production line over there?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
This. Fuck me! Of all the things they could say in this announcement, those two statements were about as stupid as they come.

100% Scoey. And the fact of the matter is that, over the past decade, other than the Link years of 2010-11, the 'DNA of QLD rugby', at least at elite levels, has hardly been outstanding.

That DNA statement is ominous, in the negative. There was a similar verbal vibe re the new QRU CEO's appointment, tones of a 'good QLD rugby man' and so on. A new CEO with zero experience of running an elite sport and all that takes.

My grave fear - expressed here before - is that the QRU is de facto controlled by a culture of introversion, in-brededness, implicit self-preservation, aversion to 'new blood boat rockers', and a kind of 'we all want to be good mates together' type of guiding principle as to who's inducted to Ballymore and who will not be. Can we really imagine a Rennie or Lancaster in that closed bubble, they would demand major changes to the entire Reds program and structure, I have no doubt.

I had no confidence in Herbert and Cordingley to break this closed world open and I strongly suspected 'a known QLD rugby man' would be their preference. A complex form of a repeat of the RG disaster could well come just around the corner.

It is simply laughable to consider that no less than 2 'comprehensive world-wide searches' can yield no Reds HC candidates with established credentials better than N Stiles, a coach whose actual credentials for the job that needs doing at the Reds 2017+ are highly debatable even in the most generous appraisal.

I have always said: the evidence is clear, a really crack Super HC makes major improvements is his team's performance and demonstrated game skills within 5-6 games of taking over. Link, J White, Rennie, Chieka have all shown this trend and outcome.

We will know what Stiles is made of an as an HC soon enough. Right now, based upon what we know of the micro-culture within Ballymore and the little that Stiles achieved for the Reds post the RG departure (despite the available excuses of the 'co-coach' regime), I for one have the greatest reservations regarding this appointment. Should it fail, the consequences for QLD rugby and just as much the Australian version, will be severe and possibly irreversible should the QRU be unable to build 25,000+ average crowds and avert another financial collapse.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)

I can't agree and once again you have added your own spin to what others have said by suggesting people don't think he should be considered because he is a QLDer. I said a couple of pages ago that I was happy that Stiles got the job and thought he wasn't the worst option. So please stop trying to speak for others and actually read what people have said.

After the mess of RG the board needed to erase every perception that the process wasn't completely transparent, above board and the best candidate got the job. That comment fails in that regard. I don't doubt he got the job on merit and they believe him to be the best. Which is why i find the comment about understanding the DNA of Qld rugby completely unnecessary and a poor look after RG was reappointed last year. Understanding DNA of an areas rugby is completely irrelevant to having success.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)

You have missed the point of the protests.

T

TOCC

I'm fairly content with this decision for Stiles, I certainly didn't want MOC, and was impartial to some of the other names thrown about.

Now the next step is to facilitate him with a quality attack coach, rumour is Bad Thorn will step up in a forwards capacity but sill a backs coach.

So does this help or deter Quade Cooper coming to the Reds next year?

Quade said in an interview that he enjoyed playing under Stiles in the NRC.. So i'd say it's a positive..

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
Stiles definitely deserves the nod over MOC, and MOC hopefully now gets the Force gig which will be a chance to show what he can really do when he has full control. Nobody will expect too much from the Force immediately so any progress will be positive.

This is the second time you've made this comment. We don't want your slops. Fuck off. The Force can't afford another few years of mediocrity. We need an experienced HC who has had success at the top level. (Rant over - as you were.)

Status
Not open for further replies.