• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The co-coaches was a shit idea based on desperate times .

You employ 2 blokes who both want the top job. They are not going to assist each other in a meaningful way. To think otherwise means you still believe in the Tooth Fairy.

One bloke has done a reasonable job with his part of the team - Stiles
The other bloke's performance with his area of responsibility (the backs) has been poor, very poor. The only shining light has been Kerevi. The most damming thing to me is MOC's undying and misplaced loyalty to McIntyre. He has single-handedly fucked the potential of the backs week in and week out. O'Connor was not prepared to experiment with Green and to me that is a huge minus for the bloke.

It seems to me that Stiles has support of the group and the other bloke, deservedly, does not.

The best result for the Reds IMO is a new broom

Blackadder is not perfect by any means, he is a kiwi - but the best option available so I'm happy to put aside my petty tribalism for the benefit of the team I love.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
"Jokes aside, I don't see any problem with the panel using his current coaching performance against him, regardless of how he interviews."

Absolutely. If the panel AREN'T using his current coaching performance against him, and only going with how he interviews, then this panel will have failed spectacularly.

Waterboyrugby

Herbert Moran (7)
So they would be in effect saying Stiles is to blame for the lack of improvement across the board since RGs departure? Even Graham would have been hard pressed not to manage 3 wins this season.

Not saying I would be unhappy with MOC but understand the concerns mentioned above. If there isn't clear signs of improvement by mid-season 2017 it will not take long for pitchforks to get sharpened. A new coach would likely get an extra 12 months. That may not be fair to MOC but is likely close to true and I am getting too old to go through this shit every year.

IMO, a new coach can take the same roster (basically) under the previous regime and turn them round in a short period (12 months) IF you get the right guy. (England post RWC 15, Brisbane Broncos post Griffin).

Strategy, player management & selection, culture all plays a part, and it's pretty tough to nail the right guy to the lead the change.

What's changed since Graham left in terms of on-field play & strategy is minimal if anything at all. Neither coach may be getting what they want (power struggle etc), and that is a fair argument. However, I personally don't believe that either will improve the team results next season as a Head Coach, as we are already seeing what they will dish up (no noticable change in philosophy since RG left).

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Know we have a couple of games to go but I am starting to get excited about next year.

New coach (hopefully), pretty good line-up - hopefully QC (Quade Cooper) is signed and plays well.

Reds to top Aussie Conference

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I wouldn't mind Duncan outside of QC (Quade Cooper) as second FH with a longer term view with DP as 10.

Much of the recruitment is impressive so far. HC required.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
"Jokes aside, I don't see any problem with the panel using his current coaching performance against him, regardless of how he interviews."

Absolutely. If the panel AREN'T using his current coaching performance against him, and only going with how he interviews, then this panel will have failed spectacularly.
MOC hasn't been able to have success with a team developed poorly by someone else as part of the continually failing Reds organisation.

Blackadder hasn't been able to win a title with all of the organisational excellence, resources and talent the Crusaders have.

Who gets the higher mark?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
MOC hasn't been able to have success with a team developed poorly by someone else as part of the continually failing Reds organisation.

Blackadder hasn't been able to win a title with all of the organisational excellence, resources and talent the Crusaders have.

Who gets the higher mark?

But the part of the team that he is responsible for coaching looks very poor, pretty much uncoached at all. Doesn't this affect the marking in any way?

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
But the part of the team that he is responsible for coaching looks very poor, pretty much uncoached at all. Doesn't this affect the marking in any way?

Ask the right question, and put the right weighting on the criteria, and you can end up with whatever result you want out of a process like this.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
It's no secret that Quade is leaving Toulon and is in negotiations with the Reds and the Rebels. So his Twitter location being undecided tbc doesn't shed any new light on the subject.

T

TOCC

So assuming guys like Talakai have or will re-sign, the vacancies in the squad for 2017 are:

Outside back(x2), scrum half, fly-half, tight head prop and inside centre.

Reds have been linked to a few different league outside backs and tried to recruit Maddocks from the U20's. Unsure of the contract status of Kuridrani, Laloifi and CFS for 2017, but there should be a few opportunities for outside backs.

Anyone in the QPR worth a shot?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It's no secret that Quade is leaving Toulon and is in negotiations with the Reds and the Rebels. So his Twitter location being undecided tbc doesn't shed any new light on the subject.

No, but it adds to the chatter as much as "we havent signed him yet".

My point here has been that you need the right HC to bring in a QC (Quade Cooper). Or a Gill. That should be a KPI (for want of a better term) that the selection committee are looking at.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Yes, Curtis unfortunately made the decision to leave the Reds back when RG was still in charge, had he been given more opportunity earlier who knows what might have happened.

Honestly, there are a lot of similarities between Browning right now and Houston back when he left. Loads of potential, but only glimpses of that being shown. Who knows, perhaps an overseas year or two away will allow Curtis to further develop his skills especially his running game.

Status
Not open for further replies.