• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
Professional Reds/QRU enabler and apologist Jim Tucker wrote in today's paper that the Reds have scored 7 more tries at this stage of the season compared to last year.

It read like this was something to hang someone's hat on.

In professional sport, Ws are the only stat that matters. When times are dire people tend to grasp at any straw they can, and this is one such straw.

Firstly, he completely ignored the fact we have conceded 11 more tries than this time last year. Defence was the biggest issue with the RG era and we are worse than we were then.

For those playing at home, we have also conceded 9 more tries than at the same stage as peak Graham in 2015. This is mind-blowing.

If we continue at this pace we will concede 60 tries, blowing past the Pete Wilkins-led mind-numbing 52 tries in 2014.

Tries are irrelevant if you can't defend, the bonus point changed to ensure value is placed on both sides of the ball and the QLD (and Australian for that matter) rugby community have failed to recognise this.

Secondly, for those 7 extra tries we have only score 8 more points. This suggests not only the impact of the outlier game against the Kings, but a change in attack attitude with Quade vs McIntrye.

For all those tries we have the same number of wins and fewer competition points than this time last year.

We also have had an easier draw this year, our strength of schedule is several percentage points lower.

We have also faced weaker defences this year than last year.

So basically compared to the first 10 weeks of last year we have had:

1. Coaching stability
2. Recruitment of Moore, Smith, Cooper, Higginbotham, Douglas, Houston etc etc
3. An easier draw in terms of strength of schedule
4. Playing against weaker defences

We have:
1. Won the same number of games
2. Scored 8 points more
3. Conceded 38 points more
4. Scored 7 tries more
5. Conceded 11 tries more
6. On track for 60 tries conceded
7. SCORED FEWER COMPETITION POINTS

This doesn't even touch on the financial implications of the crowd numbers.

But I guess the board get to enjoy their corporate box and at the end of the day that is all that matters right?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Redshappy - a lot of what you say is accurate, but with regards to us fans who are supposedly 'happy' to accept the status quo - what exactly would you have me do? And what difference would it make?

Walk away completely? Say fuck it, I'm done. Exactly how does that help?

Do you honestly think we don't care, don't notice or don't give a shit.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if more than about 1% of fans are out there in the denial you seem to think we are - but while panning the Reds admin on here
might relieve a bit of stress momentarily it actually achieves fuck all in the scheme of things.

By all means continue your crusade - I agree with lots of things you write. But unless you have some practical solution which doesn't involve me just saying fuck it to the Reds (which won't make anything better) I'd appreciate it if you didn't constantly look down your nose at me and others like me.

TSR - I am not being disingenuous, I honestly have no idea why you ascertain so strongly that comments and assessments I make here are directed at you, consciously or otherwise.

Not that you need to me to say this, but they are not. You as a poster TSR, my immediate sense when I see your name anew on these board is one of interest to see what you will say, nothing else.

I'm not asking you to 'walk away', I'm not asking you to do anything. Your disposition to the obvious mess the Reds are in, is of course wholly up to you. Apply your own standards to it all, though they may not be mine.

My largely generic 'roar of complaint' herein and elsewhere, and this is fundamental to almost everything I might say on GAGR and with my own brand of passion (and for which I make no apology), is purely this:

Vast tracts of the Australia rugby community chronically lack observational honesty and a willingness to face hard facts of a kind critical to rugby's health, its future, or its potential demise.

We have built a silent-destroyer, 'silent majority' culture within Australian rugby that has typically:

- deferred excessively, and almost fawned towards, the elites that govern the code and questioned their competence, integrity and motivations far too little​
- acted with almost wilful blindness to the increasingly negligent and irresponsible manner by which the code was and is managed in this country by its governing elites and their taken-for-granted sinecures​
- kidded ourselves relentlessly that the calibre of management of the code here barely mattered and further that its absence was having no impact upon the code's gradual deterioration in quality, capability and depth​
- turned a blind eye to this whole-of-system deterioration until the evidence for it was undeniable and pervasive and when the damage from the above-noted factors had become severe and potentially irreversible.​
All the above, as a complete syndrome, is the quiet river of utterly passive self-destructiveness that is destroying, maybe already has destroyed, the code of rugby in Australia.
My hard-core anger over these matters is known most particularly to a certain group of posters on Reds' threads as my trenchant battles with them over the years 2013 onwards have been fierce and often abusive. (A guilty admission now for you: It's a failing of mine that I sometimes bear grudges and I have some here against certain posters, and I know, I should probably bury that tomahawk and now turn the other cheek.)

But I probably fought hardest right here in the GAGR Reds zone as in fact I found the above syndrome of institutionalised toxicity and passivity in its whole expression most vividly constructed right here in the ludicrous defences that were put up over and over again for R Graham as Reds HC and his gravely misguided and extraordinarily self-serving cronies within the deepest core of the QRU. It's clear that, in my opinion, that toxicity as it has affected, affects today, the conduct of rugby in this great State is far from cured, far from dead. The beast is not slain.

In total, I saw within all this a deeper pattern of conduct and highly dangerous lemming-like trends of blind support and deference to appalling leadership conduct that, if not comprehensively corrected in good enough time, could literally destroy rugby, or large tracts of it, here in QLD.

Re my type of protest (and its effectiveness as you question it, and I do understand why you do), and why I have a shred of confidence that it is not entirely a scream at the man in the mirror (and this as follows is a key compliment to GAGR and those who manage it), I do know for a fact:

- many rugby media persons read these pages

- many players and ex-players read these pages

- many rugby coaches and ex-coaches read these pages

If my small and poorly qualified voice along with a small band of duly aligned others can give just a scintilla of extra encouragement or motivation more than might otherwise be the case to those with some chance of acting to reform the code, and critically the conduct of the code in this country, then I am the better for trying to vocalise what has so obviously and so grievously gone wrong, and what might just be done to commence the long overdue process of rebellion, reform and repair.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Whatever the vibe on these boards, the bigger truth is that a Stiles-led snails-pace Reds model for 2017 is proving a commercial and fan motivational disaster for the QRU, just as will be the fact that, repetitively, we cannot beat the Tahs, our major Super rival.

"I'm afraid Mr Denuto RedsHappy you'll have to be more specific"

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
He doesn't look like he has much confidence in anything the way he's been playing the majority of the time, knees, shoulders, decision making, etc.

It's sad to see such a creative player visibly hesitate so much. If he'd just make a decision and execute he'd be better off most of the time, regardless of the decision made.

Right now and for the future the Reds need to start scouting another 10 unless QC (Quade Cooper) turns around massively before end of season. Sort of a damnation that I can't even begin to think of the next name I'd want to see on a Reds roster who I know is capable of playing 10 at Super Rugby level.

Whether it's physical, mental, a result of coaching, or a combination of the three.. I truly think that QC (Quade Cooper)'s best years are behind him and that he's barely keeping up pace to be considered a Super Rugby quality flyhalf most weeks.

I want him to prove me wrong on that. It's a win/win for me. If he hits lifetime form and I end up with some egg on my face I will be too busy smiling like an idiot to notice.

Keep in mind that QC (Quade Cooper) was one of the main reasons that I decided to stick with this sport as opposed to continuing with wrestling or just drinking my way through college, so this is not something that comes easy for me to say. He was well and truly my inspiration when it came to this game but it feels like these days he's lost more than just the X-Factor.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Agree with your post USA

I think last week was the first time I've seen Quade in open space through the line in years. The deft kick at the end of his run was also vintage Quade.

Just need to see a lot more of it.

Moonrat

Frank Nicholson (4)
What was more worrying Scrubber was when he did get through how quickly he was reeled in. When a player who uses pace loses it they ultimately lose more than just speed. When was the last time anyone saw Quade roast someone with a step?

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
He doesn't look like he has much confidence in anything the way he's been playing the majority of the time, knees, shoulders, decision making, etc.

It's sad to see such a creative player visibly hesitate so much. If he'd just make a decision and execute he'd be better off most of the time, regardless of the decision made.

Right now and for the future the Reds need to start scouting another 10 unless QC (Quade Cooper) turns around massively before end of season. Sort of a damnation that I can't even begin to think of the next name I'd want to see on a Reds roster who I know is capable of playing 10 at Super Rugby level.

Whether it's physical, mental, a result of coaching, or a combination of the three.. I truly think that QC (Quade Cooper)'s best years are behind him and that he's barely keeping up pace to be considered a Super Rugby quality flyhalf most weeks.

I want him to prove me wrong on that. It's a win/win for me. If he hits lifetime form and I end up with some egg on my face I will be too busy smiling like an idiot to notice.

Keep in mind that QC (Quade Cooper) was one of the main reasons that I decided to stick with this sport as opposed to continuing with wrestling or just drinking my way through college, so this is not something that comes easy for me to say. He was well and truly my inspiration when it came to this game but it feels like these days he's lost more than just the X-Factor.

His best days are behind him. I don't think qld has had a startling 10 since Michael lynagh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Not sure if this from Wayne Smith was previously posted, but Reds are not getting any change. It's ongoing.

…Meanwhile, one matter that SANZAAR was prepared to speak openly about was its referee’s appointment policy and how happy it is with how it is working … which is in grave contrast to the Queensland Reds, who have called for a total overhaul of it. The Reds have felt poorly treated by referees in earlier matches against the Crusaders and the Jaguares but their anger at New Zealander Paul Williams for his handling of last Saturday’s interstate match was bordering on incandescent, not just for the 16-5 penalty count against them but for his unsympathetic handling of the match.

So, imagine the reaction at Ballymore when the word came back from SANZAAR’s referees boss Lyndon Bray that not only was he delighted with Williams’ game but that the only criticism they felt could be made of his performance was that he was not firm enough with Queensland captain Samu Kerevi during the second half.

It is all very well to maintain the illusion that referees don’t make mistakes, at least as far as the unwashed public is concerned.

But countless neutral judges took issue with some of Williams’ rulings — it was, reportedly, only his ninth game at that level — and by absolving him of any and all mistakes, SANZAAR are only dooming Super Rugby to many more refereeing “howlers”.

Reds coach Nick Stiles insisted the QRU had not given up. “It’s all ongoing,” he said

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...s/news-story/9f483cb003377ebe08deeedf3cbf8b74

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)

Lionel Cronje should be available if the Kings fold / get kicked out.

He looks pretty good to me, is getting on in years (28) but should allow us to develop a kid in the mean time.

28 leave the option of quite a few years if he wanted to stay for a while.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Rarely have I seen such an assinine comment. You didnt see 2011?

Well u should read more of my comments then. Oh yes Quade is better than Michael.

Btw I was there and yr point?? Oh yes Quade won the title for the Reds??

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Well u should read more of my comments then. Oh yes Quade is better than Michael.

Btw I was there and yr point?? Oh yes Quade won the title for the Reds??

Sage, perhaps the discussion would easier without histeria. "I dont think Qld has seen a starting ten since Lynagh."

Lets ignore the reality that Qld has had a starting 10 in every game they have played. Before and after the great Lynagh.

But we have had an extrordinary 10 since then. And yes Quade. No ten wins a game on his own, no. But QC (Quade Cooper) in 2011 was amazing.

IMVHO Quade was better at his peak than Lynagh at his. But that's irrelevant. There have certainly been starting 10s at the Reds since Lynagh.

Hence "assinine comment".

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Different era's, different game. I can't compare Noddy and Quad other than to say Noddy's peak lasted like 6 or 7 years and we got 2010 and 2011 from Quade, he has always looked like he s carrying injuries since.

I was gutted on Saturday night, we played our guts out for that result. The guys look like they care this year, they look hurt when they lose. I just don't know how they go from this to holding on and winning.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Sage, perhaps the discussion would easier without histeria. "I dont think Qld has seen a starting ten since Lynagh."

Lets ignore the reality that Qld has had a starting 10 in every game they have played. Before and after the great Lynagh.

But we have had an extrordinary 10 since then. And yes Quade. No ten wins a game on his own, no. But QC (Quade Cooper) in 2011 was amazing.

IMVHO Quade was better at his peak than Lynagh at his. But that's irrelevant. There have certainly been starting 10s at the Reds since Lynagh.

Gee Quade's having another blinder tonight; terrible general play kicking, missed tackles, missing in defence, poor conversion kicks, got it all. What a champion keep talking him up.

what a dud

manwithcaninhand

Peter Burge (5)

You will find that he said "startling", not "starting".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom