• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I sometimes wonder if there was a game that broke the reds mentally

What 'broke them mentally' was a board of QRU directors that had only Link as a positive, lucky, once-off aberration that they had no skill or judgement to even begin to know how to repeat.

So post-Link, they were just like they were in most incarnations before Link, namely: hopelessly out of their depth and, directly or indirectly, wrecking havoc upon their chosen Reds teams through incompetence, arrogance, and brutal insularity.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
What style of game are the reds even trying to play? We seem to be a team who is basing its style of play on what an aging injured 10 is capable of doing. Poor Quade is simply broken and his body can't do what his mind wants it too.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I sometimes wonder if there was a game that broke the reds mentally

I don't thinks it was a game rather a culture. philosophy and more so a history they cannot remove themselves from that is like an undertow.

The Reds have never cut completely away from, or detached fully from the past glories under Link. From RG to Stiles its all been the same undertones and legacies.

Have a quick scan of the comments in this forum and the past is ever present and the marker used to judge.

Why did the Reds get QC (Quade Cooper) back? What has he brought and what is the point of difference @10 from last year? (and no this is not QC (Quade Cooper) bashing - its a performance based question).

What has Stiles brought that's making a difference?

IMHO most of your cattle is ok. The team mix is off. Apparently with the Tahs the lack of tactical nous and leadership at the back-end cost the Reds the game. This from a team with more ex-captains than nearly any other going around. How can that happen?

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I don't thinks it was a game rather a culture. philosophy and more so a history they cannot remove themselves from that is like an undertow.

The Reds have never cut completely away from, or detached fully from the past glories under Link. From RG to Stiles its all been the same undertones and legacies.

Have a quick scan of the comments in this forum and the past is ever present and the marker used to judge.

Why did the Reds get QC (Quade Cooper) back? What has he brought and what is the point of difference @10 from last year? (and no this is not QC (Quade Cooper) bashing - its a performance based question).

What has Stiles brought that's making a difference?

IMHO most of your cattle is ok. The team mix is off. Apparently with the Tahs the lack of tactical nous and leadership at the back-end cost the Reds the game. This from a team with more ex-captains than nearly any other going around. How can that happen?

He has been playing poorly, but I see a lot more chances being created and either not coming off or missing the timing by .5 second.

He is a hell of a lot closer to setting up a try that anything we saw last year.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
He has been playing poorly, but I see a lot more chances being created and either not coming off or missing the timing by .5 second.

He is a hell of a lot closer to setting up a try that anything we saw last year.

Based on what you are saying it begs the question how long do you persist with "so closer" and with QC (Quade Cooper) playing poorly? Is is this similar to the Folau undroppable mantra?

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Funny how the conference system works though - as terrible as we've been and the run home the ponies & tahs have we (or the force) might actually make the finals....

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Which just goes to show how poor the local standards are right now, for whatever reason.

The least worst team will make it through.

If we had an ounce of self-respect, we would forfeit our place in this year's finals.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Based on what you are saying it begs the question how long do you persist with "so closer" and with QC (Quade Cooper) playing poorly? Is is this similar to the Folau undroppable mantra?

Looking back, the last three games Quade's started after his suspension we've scored 14 tries and conceded 13. The games Quade was suspended and Jake was starting we scored 4 and conceded 14.

Taking away that is some horrible defence, can you really say with a straight face that Quade is the hindrance on the Reds? With Quade starting, we're averaging 4.6 tries a game and for most teams you would be winning games with that type scoring rate. But, due to the shocking defensive structure and stupid penalties we're undoing all of that.

I'd argue that Quade on one leg and his dodgy attempts at tackling that he is is around 5 to 10 rungs down on reasons why the Reds are failing.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)

about the same amount of time that I persist with almost every other player who consistently drop passes that should put them into a gap, or get in the way of a pass. Last week we had an overlap and a great pass was thrown and a bloody tight head prop decided to take the ball instead of letting it go wide for a line break.

Cooper is not the only problem, I think he has probably been equally poor as most of out team.
Happy to drop him now if there is a better option.

nightnday

Allen Oxlade (6)
How does Cordingley keep his job as recruitment manager for the Reds?

I am starting to feel for Stilesy. When any of us are under the hammer and searching for reasons/answers to a problem we look to our support staff for their input, suggestions and ideas based on their perspective from their own expertise and experience. This is who Stilesy is relying for that expert input:

Shane Arnold = Oz U20s Assistant Coach / Brisbane City Assistant Coach (2015-2016); GPS Brisbane Head Coach (2012-2014); GPS Brisbane Colts Head Coach (2010-2011);

Jason Gilmore = QLD U20s Head Coach (2015-2016); Churchie Head Coach (2013-2014); Toowoomba Grammar Head Coach (2011-2012); QLD A Skills Coach (2010)

Enough said.....

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Looking back, the last three games Quade's started after his suspension we've scored 14 tries and conceded 13. The games Quade was suspended and Jake was starting we scored 4 and conceded 14.

Taking away that is some horrible defence, can you really say with a straight face that Quade is the hindrance on the Reds? With Quade starting, we're averaging 4.6 tries a game and for most teams you would be winning games with that type scoring rate. But, due to the shocking defensive structure and stupid penalties we're undoing all of that.

I'd argue that Quade on one leg and his dodgy attempts at tackling that he is is around 5 to 10 rungs down on reasons why the Reds are failing.
Bingo! Thank you. An apples to apples comparison. Finally someone looked at the stats and you are right. The last few games he is on song, bizarrely with a dodgey leg. What he brought is direction and with Tuttle it's a settled the platform.

My original point was I believe part of the issue is the historical comparisons that always seem present. As you said one try difference, and right now one game off being in the finals mix.

So really it's defence and discipline that's the key areas of weakness.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Worst in the comp for penalties conceded. Fewest dominant tackles made, 5th most missed tackles. Kerevi 2nd in the comp for missed tackles.

The stats have been telling the story all year

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
agree, the test side needs to do what the Reds need to do, pick player who are on form.

I would love nothing more that a Wallabies team full of Reds but they have to be justified.
Bit more complicated than that

Kerevi is leading the comp in metres made carrying the ball, total carries, and top 7 for linebreaks, tackle breaks and offloads

I wouldn't pick him for the tests but not in form?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Jesus guys you way off track! It's all that one guys fault. Get rid of him and everything is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.