• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Not sure how this will impact the Reds, but JP Smith brother Ruan has left the Sunwolves squad (from what i hear on a perm basis) for family reasons (someone said his Mother might be unwell, but can't confirm that).

Not sure if the family is based in Aus, or they still reside in SA.

Hopefully all ends well for the Smiths.
That's really not ideal for JP or for the Reds.
On the plus side I wouldn't hate seeing Hoopert coming off the bench, he's looking surprisingly good for a 20 year old Prop. He reminds me a lot of Andrew Ready in how he plays. Could be a really good chance for him and for the Reds to get some young legs out there (not that that's an issue at the moment).

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
You'll notice that all the tipsters are backing the Reds to come last out of the Australian chapter.
I like that.
All the other sides are blowing hot air on just how good they're going to be, but you don't see anything from the Reds camp.
That suggests to me that the side is totally focusing on getting the job done.
Also, they don't have the energy sapping expectations shared by the Brumbies, Rebels, and Waratahs.
Don't know if we can win the Aussi chapter, but I'll bet you Ballymore to a Gilbert football that we won't come last.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I've had them pegged last - or at least 4th in conference. But have to say it could prove nonsense. We just need to see them play. "Pegging" them does not mean that it is what I want.

Play strong Reds.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I have them coming 5th in the conference. I don't think it's a case of them not blowing hot air, more not having any belief.

I am hopeful I am wrong.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That's really not ideal for JP or for the Reds.
On the plus side I wouldn't hate seeing Hoopert coming off the bench, he's looking surprisingly good for a 20 year old Prop. He reminds me a lot of Andrew Ready in how he plays. Could be a really good chance for him and for the Reds to get some young legs out there (not that that's an issue at the moment).

It’s early days but I think JP being in Brisbane won’t be as big a factor in this as Ryan being in Japan.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well the Rebels have a lot of expectation with the quality of the squad they have this season....sound familiar (re: Reds at start of last season). So maybe a chance to come 3rd yet with Rebels and Sunwolves to follow....:rolleyes:

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
from an smh article
The Wallabies assistant revealed he had spoken to Thorn about the rationale behind his decision to axe Quade Cooper and Nick Frisby, who followed second rower Rob Simmons out the door (although it was former coach Nick Stiles who let Simmons go).
"I can certainly understand how the decisions came about and what he's trying to achieve up there in Brisbane," Larkham said.
"The attitude of the playing group up there is pretty spot on at the moment. We sat down with the Wallabies players up there last week, they were all raving about the program and Brad and there's a really good vibe up there at the moment. It's a young squad there's no doubt about that but they're all very enthusiastic about the season ahead."

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I am hopeful the Reds surprise the Aussie teams.

I reckon the Brumbies will top and the Reds will be second.

Might change my name to Optimist 2050

Go Lads

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I thought we were managing expectations! Nek minut!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I reckon the Brumbies will top and the Reds will be second.

Nah, I'm going the other approach and putting the curse and weighted expectations that the Waratahs should be Australia's top ranked team.

I saw an infographic on Facebook or IG today that said the Reds have the least amount of Super rugby caps out of all Australian teams. By that count, nothing should be expected of a team blooding the next Wallabies!

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm expecting the Reds to be 4th, but not to be embarrassed in any way. I can see them really getting up for a few clashes, esp in the mid to end of season. Similar to the Force from last season, overall that'd be an improvement on previous seasons. At the top of the list we have 3 very similar teams, 1 with the most quality but little depth (Tahs), 1 thats settled that has fairly decent quality and fairly decent depth (Brums) and 1 that doesn't have as much top tier quality but the most depth (Rebs).

Tahs 8wins
Brums 7wins
Rebels 7wins
Reds 5wins
Sunpuppies 2wins

Excited to see the Reds forward pack turn into a very good unit by seasons end. The backs i still feel it might turn into pass it to Kerevi as the season goes on, with some good performances here and there by Perese, DP and Tuttle.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I am predicting Rebels, Brumbies, Tahs, Sunwolves and then the Reds.

Rebels have a good team and a very good squad to replace any drops in from or injuries and the best coach in Australia. I think they will be very good this season.

glass half full

Sydney Middleton (9)
There should be a Predictions thread to allow us to come back and see how right or wrong we got. I think Reds will finish ahead of the Sunwolves. Rebels look great on paper but may take time to gel, Brumbies will be honest every game and get more bonus points than the others, but if the Tahs click, they have the team to win the most games and top it.

Status
Not open for further replies.