• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’m no expert on this, but $600 fine and no chance conviction seems to suggest to me it wasn’t coming considered a very serious offence.

Not to say that it is acceptable but my concern is whether there are sufficient grounds to sack him re breaching code of conduct.

Might be a lot of money being spent on Premier Rugby club players this year.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I’m no expert on this, but $600 fine and no chance conviction seems to suggest to me it wasn’t coming considered a very serious offence.

Not to say that it is acceptable but my concern is whether there are sufficient grounds to sack him re breaching code of conduct.

no that is a pretty standard fine, possibly a bit over the odds for the type of offences. Possessing prescriptions is not considered that serious because it is generally seen as an addiction based offence and contravening a requirement is about as low on the scale of offences as you can get.

It would be very unusual for a conviction to be recorded for either of these offences, especially for a relatively clean skin.

The penalty is what any other person in a similar situation would get

Reactions: TSR

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
D
Don't recall the Higgers' case in detail, but think all charges were dropped. No fine?

IIRC the Higgers situation was basically him going into a no-go area @ the police station and threatening assault (QLD law says that threatening & being capable of carrying it out is assault)

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)

I'd guess (and this is a very slightly informed guess) it would have been a strip of Xanax at most, likely a few tables. So while not a good look really very minor in the scheme of drug possession. I'm quite sure most people have taken a drug they don't have a prescription for so really not awful.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
IIRC the Higgers situation was basically him going into a no-go area @ the police station and threatening assault (QLD law says that threatening & being capable of carrying it out is assault)

"Assault" is making a threat (that you appear to have the capacity to carry out) -- good example saying "I'm going to kill you" while holding a fake gun.

"Battery" is actually hitting someone or similar -- good example hitting someone, throwing acid (even throwing water IIRC can be battery, although you'd probably be laughed at if you try to bring that one).

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Think "battery" as an offence is gone
replaced with a range of BH or GBH

EG Assault occasioning GBH

Kind of awkward, I just checked the criminal code and actually assault includes 'threats' but also includes the physical/kinetic assault too. (I knew there was a good reason I don't like criminal law!)

But I come bringing two tidbits of news!

1) Karmichael isn't going to be allowed back at training, and SBS suggesting that he's likely to make a move overseas. (Article here); and
2) Perese is out for up to 6 weeks (likely back for the Brumbies in Round 8). (Article here)

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
"Lachlan Maranta could also be a possible replacement"

Talking about Maranta already... dear God. The season hasn't even started yet.

So it looks like Daugunu and CFS will be the wings, Paia'aua and Kerevi the centres. Stewart, Lance and Toua to fight it out for 10, 15 and 22.

That probably leaves Maranta and Ngamanu for 23.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
D
Don't recall the Higgers' case in detail, but think all charges were dropped. No fine?

I believe George was in a similar situation after spending 18 days or thereabouts in the slammer, he was also released with no charges, and no fines.

The QRU may have, and probably did, impose fines on each, but that is different to a fine being imposed in a court situation. In what way were their cases worse than Hunts'? Hunt was charged and pleaded guilty on two of the charges, and was fined by the court. It remains to be seen what further action the QRU might take even if it doesn't involve tearing up his contract.

Maybe not worse in a legal sense but I rank assault and intimidation as worse offences than the coke....

All are terrible for the team culture we're trying to improve though

T

TOCC

shittttt.... Perese to miss 6 weeks is the worst possible way to start the season

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
So who's out for round 1?
Perese
Lucas
Smith
Rodda(?)
QC (Quade Cooper)
Khunt

Anyone else?

Rodda is a possible for next week, but second row or back row aren't really where we have issues at the moment.

"Lachlan Maranta could also be a possible replacement"

Talking about Maranta already. dear God. The season hasn't even started yet.

So it looks like Daugunu and CFS will be the wings, Paia'aua and Kerevi the centres. Stewart, Lance and Toua to fight it out for 10, 15 and 22.

That probably leaves Maranta and Ngamanu for 23.

Great Scott!
You know you are really scraping the bottom of the barrel when you are likely to have Maranta and/or Ngamanu in your 23.

After the Maranta/Ngamanu heart attack I looked at our squad and we do still have Eto Nabuli.

In my opinion we play Tuttle, Stewart, Toua, Paia'aua, Kerevi, Daugunu, Lance. With the a 5/3 split Sorovi, CFS and Nabuli on the bench.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
How well do we think that Brad is doing building relationships with Cheika?
Well it's not like any of the Reds were genuinely considered for the Wallabies except in dire need. We saw Higginbotham dumped out of the whole squad for *drum roll please* the intimidating Ned Flanders (Hanigan)! The only reason Rodda and Tui were in the side was because there are no other locks.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Well it's not like any of the Reds were genuinely considered for the Wallabies except in dire need. We saw Higginbotham dumped out of the whole squad for *drum roll please* the intimidating Ned Flanders (Hanigan)! The only reason Rodda and Tui were in the side was because there are no other locks.
Miss my point. I suspect we're in for rocky times. Cheika influences ARU. Brad is currently doing a stirling job of influencing both ARU and Cheika.

I suspect it's not a good thing, as much as I rail against both.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Brad is currently doing a stirling job of influencing both ARU and Cheika.

I disagree with this both the Casteal (the ARU) and Cheika have come out calling for Quade to be playing Super Rugby (although they can't make Thorn accept that). Plus my understanding is the ARU have no problem with Hunt playing Super and are mostly waiting for the Reds to make a call, and they'll be very upset if Hunt goes overseas (as he's very shy of the 60 caps required).

I think if anything Thorn is making enemies of the ARU.

Status
Not open for further replies.