• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I'm a big fan of Jooste, I'm not sure he's quite up to Super Rugby level just yet, but IMO can't be worse than Debrazeni and Maddox; and so far as a flyhalf goes he's probably ahead of both of them so far as my list goes anyway. Plus he's got that flexibility to play 10, 12, 15 and you could throw him on the wing as that JOC (James O'Connor) - Toulon type high skill winger. I'd much rather Jooste in the Maranta in the Reds Squad.
Your Jooste v Maranta argument might carry some weight, but the Debrazeni and Maddocks is ridiculous. You question that Jooste is not up to Super Rugby level, but the other 2 are starting for the benchmark Super Rugby franchise and killing the game. He's the same age as Maddocks, who can play 10, 15 or wing and seriously talked about as a Wallaby contender

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
1. James Slipper - Gold Coast
2. Alex Mafi – Brisbane
3. Taniela Tupou -Tonga
4. Izack Rodda - Lismore
5. Kane Douglas -- Maclean
6. Angus Scott-Young- Brisbane
7. Adam Korczyk - Auckland
8. Caleb Timu- Auckland
9. Ben Lucas- Ipswich
10. Jono Lance- Canberra
11. Chris Feauai-Sautia- Auckland
12. Duncan Paia’aua - Wellington
13. Samu Kerevi - - Fiji
14. Filipo Daugunu - Fiji
15. Aidan Toua - PNG

16. Brandon Paenga-Amosa -- Auckland
17. JP Smith -South Africa
18. Sef Fa’agase –Auckland
19. Harry Hockings –- Proserpine
20. Scott Higginbotham - Perth
21. Tate McDermott – Bundaberg
22. Hamish Stewart – Toowoomba
23. Eto Nabuli - Fiji

qld-7
nsw-2
ACT-1
wa-1

fiji-3
tonga-1
south africa-1
new zealand-6
png-1

I wonder if birthplace affects if you are a Queenslander?

anyway, good to see some types of culture in the squad

Being a Queenslander is a state of mind !

Some of us are born here the rest of the country wish they were born here:)

T

TOCC

Being a Queenslander is a state of mind !

Some of us are born here the rest of the country wish they were born here:)

funny thats exactly what it is, arbitrary lines on a map dividing up the country have no impact on your mindset, it's the emotional aspect of been the little brother of the southern states

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
funny thats exactly what it is, arbitrary lines on a map dividing up the country have no impact on your mindset, it's the emotional aspect of been the little brother of the southern states

We live in Queensland now. We never fail to be amused when we listen to a sports report. Winners who happen to have some connection to Queensland are described as "Queenslanders", even when they are representing Australia. But only winners. If you are a loser from Queensland you are just a loser.

It has been a long time since Bernard Tomic, or Sam Stosur have been given the "Queenslander" sobriquet.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
We live in Queensland now. We never fail to be amused when we listen to a sports report. Winners who happen to have some connection to Queensland are described as "Queenslanders", even when they are representing Australia. But only winners. If you are a loser from Queensland you are just a loser.

It has been a long time since Bernard Tomic, or Sam Stosur have been given the "Queenslander" sobriquet.

Hahaha. I lived in England for 10 years. Strangely enough any time someone from Wales or Scotland (there was dispensation for N Ireland) did anything note worthy they were British. When the same people stuffed up they were Scots or Welsh.

Good to hear that Qld is holding the tradition. :)

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Hahaha. I lived in England for 10 years. Strangely enough any time someone from Wales or Scotland (there was dispensation for N Ireland) did anything note worthy they were British. When the same people stuffed up they were Scots or Welsh.

Yeah, we have noticed that. Andy Murray is a classic example. A Scot when he loses, a Brit when he wins.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)

Even when Tomic wins we'd rather not refer to him as a Queenslander

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Your Jooste v Maranta argument might carry some weight, but the Debrazeni and Maddocks is ridiculous. You question that Jooste is not up to Super Rugby level, but the other 2 are starting for the benchmark Super Rugby franchise and killing the game. He's the same age as Maddocks, who can play 10, 15 or wing and seriously talked about as a Wallaby contender.

Sorry, I was referring to them as a fly half. Maddocks is killing it right now but nether Maddocks nor Debreczeni are really fly halves, at least yet.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)

When Russell Crowe is winning Oscars “Australian”
When Russell Crowe is throwing telephones “Kiwi”

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I actually agree with the general point you are making, but I am happy to claim Sam Stosur and I don’t think it is fair to be coupled with Tomic like that.

She has 1 more grand slam titles than 99.9% of the population.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
hollyyyy crap reds...stop with the miracle grubbers out wide. Couple great forward runs allllways followed by a chip kick. Hold the damn ball!

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Thoughts on the game:
- TT cost us a lot there. Regardless of if the penalties at the scrum were unfair, he got them four or five times, play to the ref, don't just shake your head. Also very lucky not to get carded, will not be surprised if he gets cited.

- Jono Lance is a tough man, good tackling and not afraid to run it up, like into Du Toit the Tank. I thought he played well himself, nice line breaks and tackling, but I thought our backline management was pretty non existent. They just shovelled the ball along.

- Speaking of shovelling the ball along, they never earned the right to spread it wide. Get the forwards to smash it up a few times, then spin it out, you can't expect overlaps everytime, or Kerevi to bust through (though he did do very well).

- Fuck me do Toua and Daugunu have wheels. That last try was something else, how he ran 100m after an 80 minute game defies me. If they can work a bit more on their handling and tackling they're a lethal combo. Also Toua surprises me under the high ball, never realised he had mitts like that.

- Our maul defence was shite, don't know if that's our weakness or the Stormers' strength, regardless that was poor.

- Don't think Tuttle will be too worried about Tate or Lucas.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Thoughts on the game:
- TT cost us a lot there. Regardless of if the penalties at the scrum were unfair, he got them four or five times, play to the ref, don't just shake your head. Also very lucky not to get carded, will not be surprised if he gets cited.

- Jono Lance is a tough man, good tackling and not afraid to run it up, like into Du Toit the Tank. I thought he played well himself, nice line breaks and tackling, but I thought our backline management was pretty non existent. They just shovelled the ball along.

- Speaking of shovelling the ball along, they never earned the right to spread it wide. Get the forwards to smash it up a few times, then spin it out, you can't expect overlaps everytime, or Kerevi to bust through (though he did do very well).

- Fuck me do Toua and Daugunu have wheels. That last try was something else, how he ran 100m after an 80 minute game defies me. If they can work a bit more on their handling and tackling they're a lethal combo. Also Toua surprises me under the high ball, never realised he had mitts like that.

- Our maul defence was shite, don't know if that's our weakness or the Stormers' strength, regardless that was poor.

- Don't think Tuttle will be too worried about Tate or Lucas.

I don't disagree regarding Tupou but I've not seen this interpretation before basically that you can't do the thing where your being held back by your lock / back row (you know like every semi-decent scrum in the last 10 years). You could see Slipper made the adjustment, but I do feel for Tupou as a 21 year old kid it's hard to know / understanding how to make that adjustment and clearly Tupou couldn't. No doubt it'll be worked on during the week off.

Regarding Lance this is largely what I've been saying all season he's playing well as an individual but he's just stalling the backline attack for the rest of the team. I'd really like to see him move to fullback (plus Toua / Daugunu on the wings would be insane).

I do think both Tuttle and Lucas really struggle with that forward runners game management aspect, just think our 9 list could have been Genia, Tuttle, Frisby; instead we have Tuttle, McDermott, Lucas and Srovoi. Makes you want to eat an onion.
Having said all of that, our forwards did look gassed Timu was very good and Korczyk + ASY (Angus Scott-Young) were fucking work horses! But you are right, we need to earn that right to go wide.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I thought the Reds were showing more willingness at the end than the Stormers, which is surprising considering what they had to go through in just getting there.
Possibly the Stormers plan was to smash us out of the game in the first half, but Reds tries wither side of the half upset the Stormers game plan.
If the game had gone on for another 5 minutes, the Reds could have possibly been the winners.
Whatever. The way the Reds played augers very well for them for the remainder of the season.

T

TOCC

On the scrum I posted my thoughts in the match day thread, its not just Tupou's technique, its the technique the whole scrum applies and its the same one that they have been using to their advantage the last 4 games. Another ref another day and the decisions would have gone differently.

Said it at the start of the season, Tupou would win a few, and get towelled up occasionally, you can chalk that one to been towelled up. Maybe not physically, but by letter of the law and technique he was towelled up. Its fortunate the Reds now have a bye week to address their lack of plan b in that area.

Also I don't think that was not one of those matches where you earn the right to go wide, the space was in behind the defensive line because of their line speed, they needed some unders and inside balls been run to take advantage of that. Thats where they need CFS coming off the wing and running inside balls off Lance, or Kerevi coming back against the line and running unders.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
To me, decision making let us down big time in the first 30. Not earning the right to go wide, yet when we did, instead of going wide we went for low percentage kicks. Considering how effective our big runners were, I can't believe we took so long to get them involved for more then 1 or 2 phases. Even the SA commentators couldn't believe we werent utilising our big men in tight more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.