• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stillnoidea

Peter Burge (5)
Yep, brain snap there. Remembered Stewart in yellow, must have been U20's. Was thinking of Rodda's early debut. And the NRC? Typing after getting distracted. Apologies.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)

RUPA is the Rugby Union Players Association. But I'm not sure how they are the problem.

For those saying our young kids aren't cutting it -- who do we have that is better?

Rodda, Tupou, and Timu are borderline Wallabies starters. Koczyck, Scott-Young, Wright, have been in or around the Wallabies and could easily find themselves in a Wallabies camp this year. Plus Tui has been injured/suspended pretty much all season. Paenga-Amosa has been a revelation. That's 8 forwards!

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Tupou played an entire season of club rugby at least before playing for Qld. He was MOM in Brothers GF win a few years ago.

I don’t think the youngsters were the problem this weekend. As others have said Lance and Lucas were very poor. Kerevi and CFS barely sited. Slipper and Douglas couldn’t make an impact either.

Stewart tried bloody hard (out of position), the young winger was enterprising, Scott-Young worked tirelessly. Rodda was again very good.

I cant stand to watch the game again but I thought at one stage CFS came out of the line early and used his shoulder in a bad attempt at a tackle and stayed down for a minute. A try was scored a few passes later so it was not looked at and not mentioned.

Anyone else remember this? I was waiting for the card.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I cant stand to watch the game again but I thought at one stage CFS came out of the line early and used his shoulder in a bad attempt at a tackle and stayed down for a minute. A try was scored a few passes later so it was not looked at and not mentioned.

Anyone else remember this? I was waiting for the card.
Think you probably mean the second sunwolves try. Not much in it

Starts around 1:38 here

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Linebreaker

Allen Oxlade (6)
They are not a ridiculously young team. They have the same average age as the Reds of 2010 who finished 5th. Just outside the finals.

They have a pretty ridiculously inexperienced coaching line up which is probably more relevant.

Youth is not an excuse. This guys have access to a professional sporting environment (supposedly) and are being paid as professionals.

True Reg but the 2010 u20's were a bunch of guns finishing 2nd to Kiwi's & we haven't come close to that again.. with this lot finishing 5th or 6th last time out.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
See you folks next year in the 2019 Reds sections. I’m Done

Understand how you feel biggsy - suggest you keep an eye on the QPR stream - it's worth watching.

For me this is kind of expected, expectations for Thorn were utterly OTT. And in the mean time, while we can expect other games like this, let's not forget Jaguares and Lions.

I'm frustrated, and probably not rusted on as much as a few years back. But I'm hanging around and will see this season through.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Understand how you feel biggsy - suggest you keep an eye on the QPR stream - it's worth watching.

For me this is kind of expected, expectations for Thorn were utterly OTT. And in the mean time, while we can expect other games like this, let's not forget Jaguares and Lions.

I'm frustrated, and probably not rusted on as much as a few years back. But I'm hanging around and will see this season through.
I don't thinking an expectation of beating the Sunwolves is over the top.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
As an outsider (but still a passionate Aus rugby fan), i truly believe the Reds are heading in the right direction and will be a good team in the next 12-18months. That forward pack is going to be able to match it with the best in the comp on a weekly basis. Scott-Young looks a very good player, Tupou potential to be the best in the world, Slipper is only just back from major injury and still has a few years in him, Timu is raw but explosive, Wright at 20 has shown he can match it with the pros, Lukham Tui can either turn out to be a damaging lock or a flop, and Rodda could be the best lock in the country by this time next year. Its could potentially be the foundation of the wallabies pack

3 very good young talented wingers, a gutsy 10, Kerevi is maligned but still youngish and can already destroy teams on his day, CFS is still young and finally looks fit. Figure out 9 (where there is still some young players, if or not they are any good who knows?), and get a 15 and you have a team that will consistently make the 8 each year. Even the coach is just going to get better and i really like the way he has completely stripped the team back and laying proper foundations that other Aus teams lack, like the basic premise of run hard and hit hard. Going to be further set backs but at least there looks to be foundations/process in place thats been lacking for years.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Anyone see how Perese went at fullback on the weekend for Easts?

I really want to see him back in that Reds team (and can't imagine why he wouldn't be, if fit). We obviously have some issues at fullback (and a few other positions) but with Petaia performing admirably and Daugunu starring, it would seem someone will have to move to 15? Personally I'd love to see Daugunu there.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
From the little i have seen of him, Petaia looks the most "fullback" like out of the options. Daugunu looks to be the most natural of the 3 on the wing, but i feel he finds comfort in the tram tracks of the wing, Perese looks for contact to much to be a 15 but more a centre going forward. Petaia looks a little bit more rounded than the others

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Anyone see how Perese went at fullback on the weekend for Easts?

I really want to see him back in that Reds team (and can't imagine why he wouldn't be, if fit). We obviously have some issues at fullback (and a few other positions) but with Petaia performing admirably and Daugunu starring, it would seem someone will have to move to 15? Personally I'd love to see Daugunu there.
Daugunu should be good at kicking out of hand given his soccer goalkeeper background, definitely worth a shot if it puts more ball in his hand.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

Sorry dru, confused here with your words.

Surely after years of mediocrity and decline - and when requested by Foxtel and/or the ARU to see 'a team from Australia's second major rugby State' and in that process pay good $s for that privilege - it is more than a reasonable expectation from the average paying fan (not the hyper-loyal rusties that will tolerate and excuse almost any outcome) to see the Reds:

- win at the very least a majority of their home games​
- win every game against generally much lower-ranked teams​
- overall win more games than they lose across a Super season​

Why on earth should paying fans be placed in a position where the deal somehow is: 'you will pay serious $s to watch the Reds but we are only learning and developing with an unproven coaching set-up and a 'young squad' so you really should not expect very much at all except perhaps the occasional 'outlier' win and we sincerely hope our results will be better next year (when you have to pay again to see the team hopefully do a bit better than this year).

If the above is the proposition year after year it is no proposition at all..........bar one of an ultimate death foretold.

I mean: pro rugby is pro rugby. Players and coaches get well paid, the fans who fund them rightly expect good results that motivate them to become fond of their team and keep coming back for more.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Sorry dru, confused here with your words.

Surely after years of mediocrity and decline - and when requested by Foxtel and/or the ARU to see 'a team from Australia's second major rugby State' and in that process pay good $s for that privilege - it is more than a reasonable expectation from the average paying fan (not the hyper-loyal rusties that will tolerate and excuse almost any outcome) to see the Reds:

- win at the very least a majority of their home games​
- win every game against generally much lower-ranked teams​
- overall win more games than they lose across a Super season​

Why on earth should paying fans be placed in a position where the deal somehow is: 'you will pay serious $s to watch the Reds but we are only learning and developing with an unproven coaching set-up and a 'young squad' so you really should not expect very much at all except perhaps the occasional 'outlier' win and we sincerely hope our results will be better next year (when you have to pay again to see the team hopefully do a bit better than this year).

If the above is the proposition year after year it is no proposition at all....bar one of an ultimate death foretold.

I mean: pro rugby is pro rugby. Players and coaches get well paid, the fans who fund them rightly expect good results that motivate them to become fond of their team and keep coming back for more.

RH I'm with you bloke. I was just talking about a bloke leaving the house. I stopped paying $ to the Reds in 2015.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
A fullback has to be able to kick and find touch and be able to read likely threats in defense. Stewart didnt have that and often got caught out of position.
CFS failed C test.

Being able to kick and find touch and read likely threats in defence isn't a criteria for fullback for the Wallabies so maybe Stewart knows something we don't! I'd play Lance at FB maybe - he can tackle and kick and run hard when needed - just not good at creating opportunities for others like a 10 should.

What do you mean CFS failed C test? Is that an injury or a performance standard?

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
CFS failed his concussion test.

Infact he did it in the tackle @liquor box was alluding to the page earlier.

That's not good for him. Surely then Thorn has to bring DP in at 12 - the two big centres smashing through everyone approach hasn't worked too well in attack and defence. Maybe against the Hurricanes we can have some creativity?

Status
Not open for further replies.