• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Just re the ^^^^^ above article, additionally from it:

- the QRU now admitting needing emergency cash advances on RA grants

- the QRU Chair says ‘we (the QRU) have taken a lead role in the development of rugby coaches’

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
“We are still on track to make a small profit this year so that was a request to smooth cash flow when you don’t have a home game for four weeks,” Miller said.

mmmmm weren't like 2010-2013 the only profitable years? Would love to know what creative accounting has taken place

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
The QRU may be dumb, but even they aren't that dumb.

It's just words. If they don't, in reality, sign him to ten years (or even another two, at this point) no hay problemo.

Looked at another way, it could even be a variant of the old "coach has the full support of the board". :)

But I think not, and suspect Thorn will get another year. Unhappy though that may be for many fans.

The most interesting part of that article was the bit about the QRU getting "six-figures" kicked in the tin to, … ah, … tides them over.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
For a guy who's concerned about his sons well beings, he probably needs to brush up on Suicide being the leading killer for boys/men. His sons + the 'young guys' he coaches have a greater chance of killing themselves than any damage drugs may pose.

Dare we forget Michael Tabrett. :(

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
More coaching assistance from Rugby Australia is one area being investigating through Sam Cordingley, the QRU’s general manager of Professional Rugby.

The guy is a Myth he did nothing at Melbourne took himself to the Reds and has continued the trend of utter disappointment

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
“We are still on track to make a small profit this year so that was a request to smooth cash flow when you don’t have a home game for four weeks,” Miller said.

mmmmm weren't like 2010-2013 the only profitable years? Would love to know what creative accounting has taken place

They wrote off the value of Ballymore to create the "profit" (I don't get how that works though)

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
More coaching assistance from Rugby Australia is one area being investigating through Sam Cordingley, the QRU’s general manager of Professional Rugby.

The guy is a Myth he did nothing at Melbourne took himself to the Reds and has continued the trend of utter disappointment

Ain’t that the truth. This bloke has been involved in and co-responsible for many or most of the recent Reds most appalling, ill-considered and utterly reckless recruiting and managerial decisions. He’s the exemplar of the worst of it all.

Yet in the above article he’s credited - by the QRU board - and referenced as though a wise, trusted and most competent contributor to the QRU’s highest current priorities.

We must have entered the alternative universe where black is white and wrong is right, and gravity no longer exists.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Trying to work out which is more alarming??!! Thorn for 10years or the fact we were running out of money and had to ask mum and dad for an advance.

Why in Gods name would any club anywhere give a 10 year contract to anyone, let alone a coach who is failing in certain core areas?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I can see where the alarm comes from, but it doesn’t actually say they are offering Brad Thorn a 10 year contract. It says they want him to be a 10 year coach. The article uses the phrase ‘lock him in for 10 years’ but that appears to be the journalists words, not Miller’s.

I am happy to read the bit about centralisation. Not that I have any great faith in the ARU, but conflicting self interest is one of the biggest issues which has undermined Australian rugby, IMO.

Can only agree with the observations on here re Sam Cordingly. I don’t really expect Miller to bag him in public but I really can’t see how he warrants any level of praise.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

If you are desperate to have assistance coaching skills to players at Super Rugby level then there are big gaps in the organisation.

If I was in charge I would try to get assistance (ie Mick Byrne) at a schoolboy level. Hold coaching clinics 12 months of the year once a month from Year 7 onward with school coaches also present. Pick the best juniors from all over QLD and hold clinics and follow up on the coaching any issues.

You need to start young, I know the Reds wont profit now but in the future the skill set will come through.

Why not have kicking clinics for kids?

The Reds talk of a ten year reign for Thorn but this means he will be coaching kids who are on 9 or 10 years old at the moment. They need to start their development plans now.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
For the Chairman of the QRU to say they ‘want Thorn as a 10 yr head coach’ and that they have to do certain things for him to want to do that is both a massive, unqualified endorsement and further seems remarkably independent of any results being achieved.

They talk of structures, processes, ‘alignment’, ‘high performance environments’ and ‘too many short term’ coaching changes etc as though these are fresh, newly arriving insights into a better world. Where have they been for the last 10 years?

Yet the truth is one where 90% of the QRU’s problems have been, are today, self-inflicted and self-induced as they choose one poor HC after another whose priority qualifications for the role typically are close connections with mates around and about Ballymore, either now or historically. All despite multiple alleged ‘global searches’ for new HCs which mysteriously never throw up successful candidates whose locale is more than 10km from Ballymore.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Lots of hyperbolic reactions here.

The QRU haven’t stated they want to sign Thorn for 10 years as mentioned above. They want to create an environment where he coaches for 10 years. What does that mean? I guess it means he has the support structures (facility, coaching, financial) in place he needs. That’s not a bad thing is it?

Miller acknowledges the constant turnover of coaches is a bad thing. He’s right and he should know. He was at the QRU back when we burnt through McBain, Slack, himself, Eddie and Mooney in quick succession. The players hate it and it makes it hard to recruit and retain (I’ve heard already some big names we wanted to come are staying out and some young stars may be leaving).

As for the cash advance, we know how tight the organisation is. This isn’t a surprise. They’ve had a shit draw with, what was it 6 weeks between home games earlier in the year? And then the June break with away games on the end. Footy clubs rely on games for cash flow. To pay salaries etc. they’re not asking for a loan just what’s due to them. It’s obviously not an ideal situation but we knew they were skint (all Aussie clubs are) but appreciate the cash flow challenges.

As for coaching the kids as mentioned above. A shout out to Brad Free who does this. He started a half back academy free of charge for any rep player or A player and gives them position specific training. Skills stuff. He’s expanded it and linked with the vintage reds and now has the likes of Fletcher Dyson doing front row training, Toutai Kefu doing back rows, Garrick Morgan locks, Ian King sprint work, Brenton Fielke doing wing work. Etc etc.

All free of charge. It’s amazing.

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
I’m not as down on Thorn as others here. I think that there has been an improvement in the team, but that he really needs better assistants to get to the next level.

The other thing none of us have mentioned is that the Brisbane City A-League bid has made it to the next round.if they get it, then Ballymore will cease to be such a millstone for the QRU. Hopefully that will help them get their house in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.