• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I see Kafer is earning his salary. This has to have his fingerprints on it.

I started thinking that that had to be craziest suggestion for a while. And then... could things actually be that weird? :confused:

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I see Kafer is earning his salary. This has to have his fingerprints on it.

Why would he deliberately sabotage one of the super rugby franchises? That won't make him look like he's succeeding in his new role.

D

daz

Why would he deliberately sabotage one of the super rugby franchises? That won't make him look like he's succeeding in his new role.

I certainly did not mean to imply that at all.

It just seemed to be a really crazy idea to fast-track Thorn with a less than successful Super Rugby coach like Tony, at the expense of Stiles who appears to have been given the full support of the Reds board, i.e. the kiss of death.

I just wondered if that was the advice and value Kafe was adding in his new role.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Been looking around for the media reports on this and can't find any. Anyone got a link?

Sent from my SM-J710GN using Tapatalk

Reactions: gel

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What is Thorn's coaching career aside from being an assistant to Stiles?

At least Bernie had a couple of years under White.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Please fast track Thorn. He just may be the point of difference. I certainly don't want anybody developing him to the mundane status quo on offer.

TT is a joke but there isn't much that can be done about that. Thorne is the only one there that isn't bathed in mediocrity. Have the balls to have a punt on him.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What is Thorn's coaching career aside from being an assistant to Stiles?

At least Bernie had a couple of years under White.

Assistant Coach to QLD Under 20s in 2016
Assistant Coach to QLD Country NRC in 2016
Head Coach to QLD Under 20s in 2017
Head Coach to QLD Country NRC in 2017

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Thorne is the only one there that isn't bathed in mediocrity. Have the balls to have a punt on him.

Great players don't necessarily translate into great coaches. Just because Thorn won everything in both League and Union doesn't mean he knows how to pass that knowledge onto guys who are old enough to be his kids.

So far we haven't seen anything from him that suggests he knows how to coach just yet. Did the Under 20's in 2016 or 2017 even perform?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Please fast track Thorn. He just may be the point of difference. I certainly don't want anybody developing him to the mundane status quo on offer.

TT is a joke but there isn't much that can be done about that. Thorne is the only one there that isn't bathed in mediocrity. Have the balls to have a punt on him.

So IF he fails spectacularly are you going to say, aw well he was inexperienced the first year or 2 and will get better. Fuck that . Let him get some real experience under his belt assisting to coach the big boys (for a few years) and then see if he can get a gig as HC somewhere.

It'll be hard in Australia now that the job market has decreased by 20%

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKK!!!!! Why is their scuttlebutt of Thorne being the coach in 2018?

Being a reds supporter is like white water rafting on a river of tears while listening to banjos being played by unicorns and trying to convince myself that this is somehow normal?

Sent from my SM-J710GN using Tapatalk

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Pretty sure they did have success with those under 20's.

As said. have a punt because what we already have is mediocre. How ambitious are we to improve is the question? The status quo are not getting us improvement. We are actually regressing.

I'm not saying he will be the man but crikey we are not in a position to be risk adverse ATM.

Some former players transfer well into good coaches also let's not forget. Tana Umuga, Scott Robertson, Tony Brown, Johan Ackerman.

T

TOCC

I don't think Brad Thorn is a bad coach or deserves criticism, I think he is showing potential and promise but want to see more of it, firstly through this years NRC, and then again next time as a full time assistant coach. I also think stiles should remain coach next year, I think he has been dealt a shit hand with the assistant coaches appointed to him last year, again not bad guys, but a bad mix of inexperienced head coach and inexperienced assistant coaches.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don't think Brad Thorn is a bad coach or deserves criticism, I think he is showing potential and promise but want to see more of it, firstly through this years NRC, and then again next time as a full time assistant coach. I also think stiles should remain coach next year, I think he has been dealt a shit hand with the assistant coaches appointed to him last year, again not bad guys, but a bad mix of inexperienced head coach and inexperienced assistant coaches.

I thought the experience of the assistant coaches was a filip to Stiles so he didn't feel threatened from below.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Styles doesn't seem to have the confidence of the dressing shed. The culture just appears to be shithouse.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Styles doesn't seem to have the confidence of the dressing shed. The culture just appears to be shithouse.

I thought earlier we had guys saying that not only had Thorn lost the S&C group, but they were flooding through the exit gates.

Did I read that wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.