• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I understand people's frustration at the Reds season (me as well).

Players and the coach determine the win/loss ratio. Personally there were some older guys (not Saint George or Scotty H.) who didn't put in sufficiently. Some younger guys started to step up.

As said, I think Stiles will be a better coach and maybe man manager in 2018.

The 2018 roster is still very good and I desperately want Kane Douglas to step back up and play aggressively well. The return of Slipper will have a large impact for varied reasons and I like the way the Thor has "matured" towards the end of season. He will be better again. Rodda will improve further as he becomes the firm starter each week.

2018 is a new year and hopefully any off field issues that Pickle and Ready had this year are put behind them. Moore is "nearly" finished as a player so Ready's headspace should be good. Chuck in young Mafi and the Number 2 spot is covered.

We look to have a strong forward pack overall.

The backs are a little concerning but if Pickle, Quade, Hunt and Kerevi (if he can learn to tackle) play well and remain fairly injury free then maybe all goes well for the Reds season.

Still not convinced on Gilmour and the other AC. Thorn will be great in that assistant role.

I am always optimistic at this time of the year for the upcoming season.

We shall see.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
so you want a head coach (with no coaching credentials) but with a good public profile? Just like when the QRU sacked Mark McBain (the last coach before Link to get the Reds to the finals) because they wanted a coach with media profile to match Wayne Bennet and Leigh Matthews so they appointed Ch 9 newscaster Andrew Slack.

Brad Thorn has coaching credentials.

U20 and NRC.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I wonder if we have too many reputations and not enough talent. But ultimately it all comes down to coaching and S&C and right now I have no faith at all in the Reds. Note however that swapping Stiles for Thorne in 2018 would do nothing to change that equation.

I actually worry about "Thor". Has his feet on the ground sure, and has built scrumming experience sure, but have we coached out his free running game? I sure think it has been blunted.

Otherwise, if we had decent coaching, which we haven't for a long time, if we had decent S&C - and as I understand it we did have a couple of times, what happened?. If. Woulda coulda.

Something is wrong at HQ. It permeates.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Seems like I'm going against the grain of public opinion on a message board of wised up rugby fans.

If Stiles is coach so be it. But if the media is reporting on rumours with substance then I'll be driving the Brad Thorn locomotive in 2018.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
If the Reds crash and burn in 2018 I'll be happy to bag Stiles until the sun goes down. And I'm not confident that he will be a good Super Rugby coach but I am willing to give him one more go. I do think Thorn will be a good coach but I want his apprenticeship to last a little longer.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I wonder if we have too many reputations and not enough talent. But ultimately it all comes down to coaching and S&C and right now I have no faith at all in the Reds. Note however that swapping Stiles for Thorne in 2018 would do nothing to change that equation.

I actually worry about "Thor". Has his feet on the ground sure, and has built scrumming experience sure, but have we coached out his free running game? I sure think it has been blunted.

Otherwise, if we had decent coaching, which we haven't for a long time, if we had decent S&C - and as I understand it we did have a couple of times, what happened?. If. Woulda coulda.

Something is wrong at HQ. It permeates.

I agree with the blunting theory on Thor's running game.

It seems to be a trend of HC;s to want their props doing olden day prop shit, staying in the tight channel come hell or high water.

Thor came to notice not for his scrummaging, breakdown, lineout or tackling abilities, simply his damaging running game. Sure that was against kids (when he was a monster) and no doubt the big boys largely have his measure.

Dru, I'm not going anywhere near the HQ comment - I would be here all night

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
anyone thinking Taniella Tupau's running game has been coached out of him should watch Qld Country's game from last weekend.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
anyone thinking Taniella Tupau's running game has been coached out of him should watch Qld Country's game from last weekend.

Yeah Sully, we see it in bursts. Great to see it in a game like this. But I'd like to hear the Reds HC not be dismissive. We do need to build scrummagers. But we should also be building on this sort of natural talent. How much effort is being ploughed into this bloke on passing/handling/offloading?

Can you imagine his natural ability augmented with Dan Coles style handling, for a pig link from the pods to the backs?

Bring it on I say.

[And then my enthusiasm is dampened as I recall the ability of of coaching team.]

<sigh>

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
How much effort is being ploughed into this bloke on passing/handling/offloading?

Can you imagine his natural ability augmented with Dan Coles style handling, for a pig link from the pods to the backs?

Dan Coles - NZ
Thor - Aus

Have you noticed any differences in the level of skills you describe between the two countries? Yes, you should be concerned. But it will have nothing to do with coaches dismissing it and wanting him to focus on scrummaging and a lot to do with poor coaching and skills in general. Why the poor guy chose Aus I will never now.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Police charges against Higgers dropped

Typical MO by Police.

They expected him to enter a plea of guilty and make the matter go away. The result of that would have been a fine by the Reds of $10 or $20,000.
Much better that he spend some of that "fine" money in defending the matter as often Police Prosecutions hate prosecuting a relatively simple and minor matter against a determined client represented by a top flight criminal Barrister in the Magistrates Court. I said this at the time.

Often charges are dropped as the cops save some "face" and a Costs Order. Can also open up for Higgers a new case of malicious prosecution by the Police.

Obviously Police should never have raised the charge and hopefully that grubby Police Officer who maliciously did has a "black" mark placed in his personnel file.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Typical MO by Police.

They expected him to enter a plea of guilty and make the matter go away. The result of that would have been a fine by the Reds of $10 or $20,000.
Much better that he spend some of that "fine" money in defending the matter as often Police Prosecutions hate prosecuting a relatively simple and minor matter against a determined client represented by a top flight criminal Barrister in the Magistrates Court. I said this at the time.

Often charges are dropped as the cops save some "face" and a Costs Order. Can also open up for Higgers a new case of malicious prosecution by the Police.

Obviously Police should never have raised the charge and hopefully that grubby Police Officer who maliciously did has a "black" mark placed in his personnel file.

you seem to blame the prosecutor, the police officer probably did not wrong but prosecutions elected to drop it.

This does not make the police officer grubby.

The guy who was originally charged would be the grubby one, dropping charges doe not mean he did not commit the offences, just they could not be won in court. This could be as simple as CCTV malfunctioning.

He probably should have been given a ticket and banning notice to start with

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
you seem to blame the prosecutor, the police officer probably did not wrong but prosecutions elected to drop it.

This does not make the police officer grubby.

The guy who was originally charged would be the grubby one, dropping charges doe not mean he did not commit the offences, just they could not be won in court. This could be as simple as CCTV malfunctioning.

He probably should have been given a ticket and banning notice to start with

The grubby copper was the one who charged him.

Prosecutor in Mag Court is also a Police Officer who us in Police Prosecutions section and once a Notice is issued has to prosecute the matter.

Prosecutor obviously, after viewing CCTV footage knew he was on a loser, particularly with a motivated client and a well paid for, aggressive defence team in place.

That says to me that the charge should never have been brought and the legal costs of say $10,000 to $20,000 should be reimbursed to Higgers from the public coffers or the grubby copper's personal bank account

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
The grubby copper was the one who charged him.

Prosecutor in Mag Court is also a Police Officer who us in Police Prosecutions section and once a Notice is issued has to prosecute the matter.

Prosecutor obviously, after viewing CCTV footage knew he was on a loser, particularly with a motivated client and a well paid for, aggressive defence team in place.

That says to me that the charge should never have been brought and the legal costs of say $10,000 to $20,000 should be reimbursed to Higgers from the public coffers or the grubby copper's personal bank account
Where you present at said incident? How can anyone be so positive of what occurred. What was in it for the 'grubby' copper?
There are some real criminal cops going around, I'd save your fire for those.

Status
Not open for further replies.