• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
In announcing his retirement, Moore said,
“I’d started planning for life after rugby since announcing my retirement from the international game back in July this year and the opportunity that I was exploring materialised probably six months earlier than I had expected”.

Does anyone know what this opportunity is? I'm always curious to know what life is like after professional rugby.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
This is great news. I didn't support his return to the Reds so am most happy he is gone AGAIN. We have two good young hookers and we will find a third. He added nothing to the Reds in 2017.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I thought Squeak owned a couple of Nando joints? I could have sworn he mentioned something on a G&GR podcast that the Brumbies boys were cleaning out the place every week.

He seemingly used to own Nando's Belconnen but it is now closed. Not sure if he owns others still. Maybe Brumby Jack can shed some light on the subject.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Squeak's return to Reds always was a planned retiring from playing, I didn't think he ever intended retiring from rugby altogether. Always had a whiff of "the next step". The opportunity materialised earlier?

Stiles gone.
Totality handing in his badge.
S&C dubious.

Would have thought there were opportunities somewhere. What is his relationship with Thorn like?

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
That would be two very strong personalities going head to head. Maybe they'd work off each other and form a very good working relationship.
Moore certainly wouldn't be anybody's yes man, but Thorn is probably mature enough to work with and value that.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Re-reading the announcement he is talking opportunities “outside of rugby” which seems clear enough.

Vale Stephen Moore.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Yeah I think Moore will be picked up in a corporate role. Very intelligent man, would have been a doctor if not for rugby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
so reported today the rebels are est 700 000 over salary cap so far and the brumbies have pushed over it in the expectation it will be relaxed. Reds and Tahs strived to stay under it, hence Reds passed up on Genia which will end up potentially being to their detriment . New CEO expected to have to deal with it next year.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
We have 3 halfbacks on the books and multiple court payouts looming or in action. For an already cash-strapped Union I don't think Genia was ever a realistic option.. cap or not. This is as someone who would have been bigly happy with him coming back to QLD.

T

TOCC

Yeah the whole salary cap debacle is utter crap, in saying that I wanted Genia back, but tend to agree that for the cost of recruiting him, it was hard to justify with halves already coming through.

I think Tuttle is a very good halfback with a big future ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I’d prefer the Reds to live within their means and build from the ground up, rather than go bust paying for players who won’t result in what they are after. Rugby isn’t the EPL, where the most money wins titles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Plenty of excellent talent in QLD. Best stick with them. Compare last years debacle with 2009-2011 leading to the title. Young talent, fringe players from other franchises and a few old heads in a culture absolutely geared for development. If paper won titles coaches would be selecting notepads in the starting 15.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Squad set to be announced next Tuesday apparently. No idea how big it will be. I think we have the following confirmed so far.

Hookers: Andrew Ready & Alex Mafi
Props: James Slipper & Taniela Tuppou
Locks: Kane Douglas, Izack Rodda, Lukhan Tui, Angus Blythe & Harry Hockings
Backrow: Adam Korzcyk, Caleb Timu, Michael Gunn, George Smith & Scott Higginbotham
Scrumhalves: James Tuttle, Nick Frisby
Flyhalves: Quade Cooper, Hamish Stewart
Centres: Duncan Paia'aua, Samu Kerevi, Chris Feauai-Sautia
Oudside Backs: Filipo Daugunu, Eto Nabuli, Izia Perese, Lachlan Maranta

I'm assuming Sef Fa'agase, Liam Wright and Karmichael Hunt will be / are signed.

So we need a hooker, a couple of props, a backrower, a centre and a fullback/outside back.

Hooker is anyone's guess but I think Alex Casey is a good chance.
Props I expect to be Markus Vanzati and JP Smith
Backrower I suspect Reece Hewat will be on a full contract this year, perhaps Angus Scott-Young
Centre Dylan Riley a contender but we really need an inside centre. Perhaps Hunt will be the cover here and Paddy James makes the squad.
Outside back is probably Jayden Ngamanu

In short, I think our recruitment will be done on the cheap and internally.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Reg, is the "Balleymore Kid" i.e Junior Laloifi still with the Reds. I see he signed a contract in 2015 which I'm guessing was for two years

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think that was only a 1 year contract and he hasn't been on contract since.

Has been a little injured of late only getting minimal time in the NRC (still scoring tries).

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Interesting that only the Reds and Tahs are sticking to the salary cap.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.