• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Big Premier season for Souths? Quades pay more than the clubs turnover I reckon. Hope he stays and keeps getting paid for 2 years shows the stupidity of ARU top up. If you want to control it ARU you have to pay for it.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Putting aside the whole argument on if Quade has been up to performing at Super Rugby or National level. Sacking him puts an immense amount of stress on a rookie fly half and an inside centre who’s just finding his feet.

While Stewart may be miles ahead of McIntrye, we saw how detrimental throwing a player to the wolves and not giving him any support was.

While Quade may not be in Thorns plans going forward, having him in the squad next year to help with the development of the next generation seems to make sense to this armchair critic.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
There would still be some nervous blokes running around Ballymore.

Big Kane hasn't produced consistent (good) form since his signing and I reckon the recent sagas' will motivate him to play his best rugby ever. Karmichael is another who needs to have a good year.

Another bloke in the squad who has been less than impressive in the last couple of years might be quiety OK with George's injury.

Young Wright seems the heir apparent (and deservedly so ) but boy, it's a big step up.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
From my perspective it would be regrettable if this was the way that Cooper finishes his Reds career - but can Thorn really be blamed for being honest with a player.

Let's see, Quade. Mate, I have to be honest with you, and I am a fucking muppet with no respect for the contributors to the club, and no interest in value for money on our commitments. It might seem ridiculous, but you are fucked. And to the media - we had an honest conversation.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
What is the Finacial situation of the Reds? It can't be good. If they are broke they will have to follow the instructions of the purse string holders namely the ARU. Most of the money for Quades deal probably comes out of the ARU coffers so it will be in thier interest to move him on more than the Reds. This smells of ARU involvement more than the Reds. Doesn't make sense to pay a bloke to not play or at the very least be in the squad.

My understanding is that Quade is on between 800K and a million per year. Reds pay half, ARU pay half. Neither can afford it but TBH Quade was never worth that sort of money after getting the chop in France. Some bright spark with shit negotiating skills signed him off, both at Ballymore and the ARU. Idiots

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
This not promising at all.
Quade does not seem to be the type of abrasive bloke that can't work with new leadership.

Even if Thorn didn't want Quade moving forward, he could still have him around the squad providing valuable experience to Stewart that only a bloody 130 cap player could. Also what to do when the not unlikely situation of our Stewart and Duncan getting injured happens??

I can't fathom this decision.

T

TOCC

Putting aside the whole argument on if Quade has been up to performing at Super Rugby or National level. Sacking him puts an immense amount of stress on a rookie fly half and an inside centre who’s just finding his feet.

While Stewart may be miles ahead of McIntrye, we saw how detrimental throwing a player to the wolves and not giving him any support was.

While Quade may not be in Thorns plans going forward, having him in the squad next year to help with the development of the next generation seems to make sense to this armchair critic.

100% agree

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Let's see, Quade. Mate, I have to be honest with you, and I am a fucking muppet with no respect for the contributors to the club, and no interest in value for money on our commitments. It might seem ridiculous, but you are fucked. And to the media - we had an honest conversation.

To be fair Dru, BT would not have made a decision of this magnitude (that is, the flicking of Cooper) without a lot of agreement from above him. Frisby and the Swede might have been a different matter

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Maybe that’s exactly how it happened Dru - but I’m not really going to engage in further speculation on that point as I have no idea what the truth is. I took at face value the comment that Thorn had an honesty converation with Cooper. Maybe it’s right, maybe it’s wrong - but my point was that coaching (IMO) should be based on giving players as much honesty as possible.

Even if Thorn has completely boned him I still think it is the right thing to sit down face to face with Cooper and tell him to his face what the lay of the land is.

This doesn’t mean I think it is a good decision (or a bad decision) as I am not aware of the underlying reasons or the context of the decision.

Personally I have grave concerns, for many of the reasons outlined by others - lack of depth, lack of squad experience, readiness for Stewart & DP to step up etc.

Regardless of how it turns out I feel very sorry for Cooper. He has been a wholehearted contributor to the Reds cause over the last 10 years and has represented the team passionately. He is one of the most exciting players I have had the privilege of watching and I am personally sad to see his time at the Reds at an end, whatever the circumstances.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Maybe that’s exactly how it happened Dru - but I’m not really going to engage in further speculation on that point as I have no idea what the truth is. I took at face value the comment that Thorn had an honesty converation with Cooper. Maybe it’s right, maybe it’s wrong - but my point was that coaching (IMO) should be based on giving players as much honesty as possible.

Even if Thorn has completely boned him I still think it is the right thing to sit down face to face with Cooper and tell him to his face what the lay of the land is.

This doesn’t mean I think it is a good decision (or a bad decision) as I am not aware of the underlying reasons or the context of the decision.

Personally I have grave concerns, for many of the reasons outlined by others - lack of depth, lack of squad experience, readiness for Stewart & DP to step up etc.

Regardless of how it turns out I feel very sorry for Cooper. He has been a wholehearted contributor to the Reds cause over the last 10 years and has represented the team passionately. He is one of the most exciting players I have had the privilege of watching and I am personally sad to see his time at the Reds at an end, whatever the circumstances.
Doesn't itmean reds just play like Wallabies with the 10 acting as a basic distributer and all the playmaking done by the 12/15 in open play

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Struggling to understand why NOW? The front office clearly had Quade in the team based on announcements in press for 2018 squad just this past week. U.K. press tipping Quade to join Sale? Who is leaving who? Who is running the Reds. Sure ain't the admin and Thorn talking "honestly" to Quade a day after team release makes for confusion.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
He’s still listed in the squad on the site. No available devs working on the weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pieman

Ward Prentice (10)
Has this been confirmed yet by the QRU?
If it's true, surely the rugby public deserves a thorough explanation.
Many questions re the timing, financial and marketing implications, etc etc need answering.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hahahahaha

How could a player (or more?) be moved on within a week of the squad announcement?

Are there actual quotes in that article, or is it just paraphrasing?

Has Cooper been told that he has to show form at souths so he has to earn his position, or is he completely gone from the reds?

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Seems odd to be in the team announcement then boned days later - anyone have any official confirmation of this??

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Are these guys that are contracted are going to still fall under the salary cap and roster size limits?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I guess we just hope we get some official word from the QRU and that word clears some things up.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Does no-one remember how Quade was treated at his last departure?

So the timing is of great import. When you are dealt with two unlikely outcomes, the less unlikely is usually the answer. So a) Thorn is unusually stupid; or b) this is intentional. I don't think Thorn is (that) stupid.

BTW, the "club" that is mentioned that Quade is training with is the NRC Brisbane City.

Gel, if this is indeed news out of Thorn without Reds HQ involvement then we have an immediate issue between HQ and HC.

Hard to find any common sense good out of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.