• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Quades twitter has his location as "undecided TBC"

Not sure if that's a new development as I'm not a twitterazzi but suspect it's a hinted confirmation of what's happening

It says Brisbane at the moment?? (He did change it to undecided before coming back last year)

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
↑ oops, Twitter - I checked his Instagram....

Balls - I was hoping this was all maybe just some media hoo ha

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I guess this whole saga comes down to value for money, is Quade worth $800k a year to the Reds?

Big money requires big returns on that investment. For all the concerns about Stewart, is he actually going to be worse than Quade's efforts this year?

T

TOCC

I guess this whole saga comes down to value for money, is Quade worth $800k a year to the Reds?

That’s a discussion to be had before signing a player. But now that he is signed, it’s not whether he is worth $800k, it’s at what cost are Thorn is willing to pay not to have him at the Reds.

There’s every chance the QRU will have to continue to subsidise his pay as he plays for another team.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
We'll find out how the young lad goes.

For me, what this saga comes down to is how an organisation names its squad and within two days the coach has dumped players.

Surely they would have done the "value for money" thinking prior to naming their squad, and you'd think they would have consulted the coach on the makeup of that squad.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
You're saying that like the QRU didn't just run the risk QC (Quade Cooper) tells them he's playing for Souths and collects his $800k with absolutely no realized upside whatsoever. At best he gets signed for another foreign club at a lower rate (doubt many will bite too hard after his Toulon stint and how that played out) and the QRU has to cover the difference anyway.

Unless something has happened behind the scenes that nobody here has spoken about yet.. it's hard to see this as anything other than a retarded decision.

Throwing away your playing asset with the largest upside while opening yourself up to the full financial liability they bring at the same time.. Makes. No. Fucking. Sense.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You're saying that like the QRU didn't just run the risk QC (Quade Cooper) tells them he's playing for Souths and collects his $800k with absolutely no realized upside whatsoever. At best he gets signed for another foreign club at a lower rate (doubt many will bite too hard after his Toulon stint and how that played out) and the QRU has to cover the difference anyway.

Unless something has happened behind the scenes that nobody here has spoken about yet.. it's hard to see this as anything other than a retarded decision.

Throwing away your playing asset with the largest upside while opening yourself up to the full financial liability they bring at the same time.. Makes. No. Fucking. Sense.

It happens a lot in the NRL (& most other pro sports), the team takes a hit, just not the whole $800K. In the NRL they get sent to the Queensland Cup if they don't find another deal Thorn saw it happen with Bennett coaching the Broncos to a number of units

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
It happens a lot in the NRL (& most other pro sports), the team takes a hit, just not the whole $800K. In the NRL they get sent to the Queensland Cup if they don't find another deal Thorn saw it happen with Bennett coaching the Broncos to a number of units

Yes, but we have no appreciable depth at 10 right now and won't likely have the funds to make a big name signing + pay Quade.. and the # of guys who aren't locked in right now is very small this close to the season.

It is just so fundamentally and unbelievably daft to not at least get through camp with him and let him play himself out of the starting position (if Thorn really has such big wraps on Stewart why not back his man to win by merit?!) and then he can come to terms with another club and give the Reds an actual exit (believe someone already mentioned this in a post before mine). Just a shockingly stupid move no matter how you look at it unless there's serious mitigating factors.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Any news out of Reds HQ???

The silence from them is deafening..
Yeah, I think a few hastily convened meetings are probably taking place at Ballymore this morning.

The place seems like a fairly disorganized rabble so I wouldn't be surprised if front office didn't know this was coming.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It is just so fundamentally and unbelievably daft to not at least get through camp with him and let him play himself out of the starting position (if Thorn really has such big wraps on Stewart why not back his man to win by merit?!) and then he can come to terms with another club and give the Reds an actual exit (believe someone already mentioned this in a post before mine). Just a shockingly stupid move no matter how you look at it unless there's serious mitigating factors.

Is the purpose of doing it now that they can hopefully part ways with QC (Quade Cooper) finding a contract elsewhere and free up some or all of his contract value rather than being left in the position where Thorn doesn't really want him but he's still in the squad. If they can't find a mutually satisfactory exit for Cooper, he's still part of the squad for 2018. It's undoubtedly a bad situation for all concerned and entirely of the Reds making. If they were determined to move on without Cooper they really had to sort it out sooner though so this all came to a head prior to the squad being announced.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Is the purpose of doing it now that they can hopefully part ways with QC (Quade Cooper) finding a contract elsewhere and free up some or all of his contract value rather than being left in the position where Thorn doesn't really want him but he's still in the squad. If they can't find a mutually satisfactory exit for Cooper, he's still part of the squad for 2018. It's undoubtedly a bad situation for all concerned and entirely of the Reds making. If they were determined to move on without Cooper they really had to sort it out sooner though so this all came to a head prior to the squad being announced.

Thorn himself was saying in recent interviews that it was all about setting up a competitive environment and earning the spot - not being picked for being likable. if he’s on a contract anyway, why not let him perform - or not - at training and then see how things pan out. Unless it’s a matter of QC (Quade Cooper) just can’t be around any of the players at all (back to the ‘toxicity’ from 2011?). Hell this whole Game of Thorns thing everyone was talking about might just find him out

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Sounds like a bit of bullshit going on here. This doesn't make much sense and people may have jumped the gun on what is happening, whatever that may be. It is all pretty cryptic. It's early days and Quade is still contracted to the Reds.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
I assume it's because they are trying to work out an exit so he no longer is on contract.

Right - that then leads back to question whether it’s a matter of org/coach wants him out at all costs ; or if it’s mutual - which it doesn’t sound like so far. I just don’t see why hey don’t let him live or die in the trial by fire of pre-season

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Right - that then leads back to question whether it’s a matter of org/coach wants him out at all costs ; or if it’s mutual - which it doesn’t sound like so far. I just don’t see why hey don’t let him live or die in the trial by fire of pre-season

Because then there'd be far less chance they would be able to find someone else to contract him and it would be too late to deploy the funds elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.