• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Gotcha.

Shouldn’t there be a statement from an outspoken sports agent about now?

Hard to know. I'd guess that making staying silent and making it appear on the outside that Cooper wants to remain contracted and is happy to play club footy on his current contract would give them the most leverage.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I guess this whole saga comes down to value for money, is Quade worth $800k a year to the Reds?

Big money requires big returns on that investment. For all the concerns about Stewart, is he actually going to be worse than Quade's efforts this year?

Can someone clarify whether the Reds are paying $400K or $800K per year for Quade. I understood that RA was picking up the other $400K as an international top-up. I assume the High Performance Manager (or whatever he's called today) must have been a party to that decision. Which just reopens another can of worms.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Yes. The QRU pay half. If Cooper wants to leave he has to be cleared by the QRU and RA

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Reds website still lists Quade and Frisby in the Squad. Love the heading Meet the family! No statement from QRU right on top of their game.

T

TOCC

Because then there'd be far less chance they would be able to find someone else to contract him and it would be too late to deploy the funds elsewhere.

Where else are these funds to be deployed too, all the major player movements have been finalised for 2018 even with the culling of the Western Force at late notice, most in demand players have already confirmed there future. The whole situation is an absolute joke, cutting Nick Stiles 3 months after the completion of the Super Rugby season, and then cutting Quade 2months after the appointment of Brad Thorn as new coach has left the Reds in a predicament where all major player signings have occurred, and the opportunity for Quad to pick up an equivalent value contract in Japan or Europe has passed since their rosters are well and truly finalised. What were they thinking... the Reds played their last game of 2017 4 and a half months ago, the QRU have butchered any hope of a successful season.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Where else are these funds to be deployed too, all the major player movements have been finalised for 2018 even with the culling of the Western Force at late notice, most in demand players have already confirmed there future. The whole situation is an absolute joke, cutting Nick Stiles 3 months after the completion of the Super Rugby season, and then cutting Quade 2months after the appointment of Brad Thorn as new coach has left the Reds in a predicament where all major player signings have occurred, and the opportunity for Quad to pick up an equivalent value contract in Japan or Europe has passed since their rosters are well and truly finalised. What were they thinking. the Reds played their last game of 2017 4 and a half months ago, the QRU have butchered any hope of a successful season.

When you describe it like that, it sounds bad ;)

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
So if he gets picked up elsewhere for 400k who pays him the other 400k? The ARU, the Reds or do they go halves..???

And what happens if he gets a contract for $100K and either the Reds or RA don't want to fork out $350K each? Tripartite contracts mean all three have to agree. Could be a legal nightmare because forcing someone to sit on the sidelines has legal issues too around damage to his future contract value.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
And what happens if he gets a contract for $100K and either the Reds or RA don't want to fork out $350K each? Tripartite contracts mean all three have to agree. Could be a legal nightmare because forcing someone to sit on the sidelines has legal issues too around damage to his future contract value.

They're sort of relying of Quade doing right by rugby too at this point. What happens if he decides to take a contract at the Broncos for, say $50k? Or the Blues take him on game payments only? Thorn's timing leaves Quade with few options, not just that, but the timing could not have been more effective if it's sole purposes was to damage Quade's reputation and market value. That might amuse the haters, but whatever the Reds management are thinking, a half-way competent ARU would have plenty of thoughts on a commercial asset being treated like this. (hang on)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They're sort of relying of Quade doing right by rugby too at this point. What happens if he decides to take a contract at the Broncos for, say $50k? Or the Blues take him on game payments only? Thorn's timing leaves Quade with few options, not just that, but the timing could not have been more effective if it's sole purposes was to damage Quade's reputation and market value. That might amuse the haters, but whatever the Reds management are thinking, a half-way competent ARU would have plenty of thoughts on a commercial asset being treated like this. (hang on)

If he tried to take a contract for well under his market value presumably they wouldn't release him.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
My take on the QC (Quade Cooper) saga now that I've digested it a little.

No question that the bloke is not worth the $800K - $1 million - based on form for years.

No question he is done at Wallaby level with Chek in charge.

No question the dumping could have been handled much better but the zReds have recent history in how not to let a player go with respect.

No question BT is stamping his authority with the group.

No question Quade was an elephant in the room in that he, by virtue of his name, influences most of the players particularly backs and probably more specifically backs of PI descent. Those influences are fine if the guy is playing fantastic football, less so if he is not.

The more I think about it I reckon BT weighed up the playing ability (which has been poor) against the potential adverse "cultural" issues. The former gave way to the latter.

eldiablo

Ted Fahey (11)
Is it possible that this scenario has been blown out of proportion abit? I could be wrong but reading/listening to Brad's language about it all in Jim Tuckers articlee it seems like he's just dropping QC (Quade Cooper) and Fris to Clubland for a bit of a rocket up their arse like any sports coach has done/should do if need be.

“I’ve had honest conversations with Quade Cooper and Nick Frisby about where they CURRENTLY sit in our plans for 2018,” Thorn said. “They’re not training with the Reds AT THE MOMENT and will be training with their clubs instead". It doesn't really sound like he's completely done with them. I mean, I don't know the bloke personally but don't think he's one to bullshit/beat around the bush about it all.

This situation makes an example of them, showing that even senior players aren't exempt from the 'No Dickhead Policy' that he is obviously implementing (thank god) AND also shows the young players that he backs them in to get the job done.

Or maybe I'm too much of a romantic, I'm completely wrong and they're done. I hope not.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It would be a pretty rare situation that a full squad member isn't training with the team.

It is especially rare at the point in the year when the only people with scheduled training are the pros.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
If he tried to take a contract for well under his market value presumably they wouldn't release him.

Market value after being forced to be available well after intelligent negotiations are over. Should an NRL club give him a shot on $nix given the circumstances, how would a court value that? Would not be a hard valuation when no Australian franchise offers are currently available. Ditto another Super club where Quade's alternative is to play grade rugby in Qld, or to fight for game payments at a professional club. Easy valuation. Current market value is not what QRU/ARU owe Quade for the next two years. That was his market value when negotiating the existing deal - when there were five franchises and negotiations proceeded well ahead of squad completion so that the interested franchises could financially plan around the commitment. Now there are four franchises, 98% of the four squads are finalised, and no substantive salary cap remains anywhere. Probably in Australia and New Zealand. His market value is completely arguable right now. Let Thorn continue his "honesty" and put his hand up for that. Let the record show that a massive cost to Australian rugby is his first major contribution in the Head Coach role.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Market value after being forced to be available well after intelligent negotiations are over. Should an NRL club give him a shot on $nix given the circumstances, how would a court value that? Would not be a hard valuation when no Australian franchise offers are currently available. Ditto another Super club where Quade's alternative is to play grade rugby in Qld, or to fight for game payments at a professional club. Easy valuation. Current market value is not what QRU/ARU owe Quade for the next two years. That was his market value when negotiating the existing deal - when there were five franchises and negotiations proceeded well ahead of squad completion so that the interested franchises could financially plan around the commitment. Now there are four franchises, 98% of the four squads are finalised, and no substantive salary cap remains anywhere. Probably in Australia and New Zealand. His market value is completely arguable right now. Let Thorn continue his "honesty" and put his hand up for that. Let the record show that a massive cost to Australian rugby is his first major contribution in the Head Coach role.

The ARU and Reds still have to release him. My assumption is that if the party he is trying to sign for is only offering $50k and they would be required to pay close to $750k to exit the contract then they would instead keep him contracted. It will mostly likely require all parties to agree on the contract being terminated and the terms by which it is terminated.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Is it possible that this scenario has been blown out of proportion abit? I could be wrong but reading/listening to Brad's language about it all in Jim Tuckers articlee it seems like he's just dropping QC (Quade Cooper) and Fris to Clubland for a bit of a rocket up their arse like any sports coach has done/should do if need be.
Sure, that's a possibility. However, the fact the QRU or Thorn didn't even try to correct the narrative being played out in the media probably suggests that isn't the case.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
There must be something going on behind the scenes, there is no way anyone would make a move this fucking stupid without a reason.

Axing a player as experience and talented as he is, this late in the year, with only one other 10 on the books (and he's fucking EMERALD) and no apparent plan to deal with contractual issues makes less sense than winning the toss and bowling in Adelaide.

Or invading Russia. Actually......no, even that made more sense than this. I'm too confused to even start getting this shits at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.