• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I've had to move away from buying the jersey's. Apart from the fact they're now 1/4 of the price (which just demonstrates how over priced they are), I've found the switch to this new material just unbearable for wearing other than 1-2 months of the year.

The Media Polo's are significantly lighter and breathable, but even then they're still not quite comfortable in our tropical conditions.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
^Truth is I just wear the training shirts now to the games. The jerseys are a little on the unforgiving side in our tropical early to mid season conditions.

Sent from my SM-J710GN using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Don’t like the new material either, that’s why i like how BLK made a ‘traditional’ cotton jersey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
XXXX is back im its "classic" can and they have reverted to an older recipe. Tastes like my youth. I can vouch that it will help you gain the kegs needed to fit into a 4xl.

Sent from my SM-J710GN using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Almost 2 weeks since the announcement, by my calculations the ARU/QRU have spent $30-$40k on Quade too train for park footy.

It’s almost that late in the season that a European/Japan contract are out of the question for the 2017-2018 are out of the question. Financially the ARU/QRU will have to be hoping the Sunwolves throw some big money at him.

Still no official word on the issue from the QRU, allowing some fantastic rumours and speculation to circulate.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
@Dru, I think this is a very big and public laying down of a marker. Thorn has clearly said of what he wants in the Reds culture and all the anecdotal evidence points to Cooper fitting into that plain. Cooper has a good reputation for "caring". The problem I think might be that for several years there has been an image of Quade Cooper and the Reds where one player has become dominant over the teams image. Not saying that is anybodies fault but I see Thorn wanting to stamp it out. Fact is amongst all the unknowns is that Cooper is still contracted to the Reds. These are early days and I think we will see Cooper back in the fold as one of the Reds and one firmly warned he has to compete hard for a place in the side. Should Cooper accept the challenge, it could be very much win, win.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
As big a marker as it is, I personally believe that this marker should have been laid in private. The cat would be out of the bag when he starts training more and more at souths, however I believe a qld great (which like it or not, quade is ) and a 70+ cap wallaby, should have been treated better then outed as being shafted in the manner in which it is being done. Sure, don't start him, don't bench him, have him attend limited to nil training, but he deserved better then to be essentially named and shamed.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
QLD great and 70+ Wallaby he is and that is why I don't think he is done yet. I'm not defending it one way or the other but I think that is what's happening. I'm a huge Quade fan and I hope it works and we see Quade in a Reds jersey playing the quality rugby we know he is capable of.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
QLD great and 70+ Wallaby he is and that is why I don't think he is done yet. I'm not defending it one way or the other but I think that is what's happening. I'm a huge Quade fan and I hope it works and we see Quade in a Reds jersey playing the quality rugby we know he is capable of.

Ruggo In all fairness, how long does a bloke have to wait for "the quality rugby we know he is capable of" It's been a number of years (probably 5 or 6) since that has happened on a consistent basis. To me, Quade has had the most talent and potential of any rugby footballer for some 20 years + but honestly has failed to live up to that God given "potential"

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Ruggo In all fairness, how long does a bloke have to wait for "the quality rugby we know he is capable of" It's been a number of years (probably 5 or 6) since that has happened on a consistent basis. To me, Quade has had the most talent and potential of any rugby footballer for some 20 years + but honestly has failed to live up to that God given "potential"
Eminently defendible position scrubber.

The problem is not that it's been done, its how it was done.

Edit - been impressed with the class QC (Quade Cooper) has shown over the last month or so. Smart enough at 29 to keep his mouth shut

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Its also holding Quade responsible during a period of nonsense administration, rubbish coaches, forward pack with poor rep going forward, poor defense, and not much of an attack to boast of.

He’s also top two 10s in Australia, with plenty of thought his form was better than any other in Soup in 2017.

Of course his natural talent was so precocious that this does not live up to expectations. But fans would defend their favourite coach and/or administration with the narrative “he cant be controlled, everything has to be built around him” (like this is some kind of outrageous issue with a 10.) So he pulled things back to the coaching directives only. Some observers have noted “maturity” but those same predecided fans defending the same mediocre administration/coaching change the narrative (no, not change, add, they’re quite happy to run both sides of the dichotomy simultaneously) to “he is not living up to expectations.

Oh and lets not forget the minor issues of timing apparantly intent to destroy a career, maximise commercial damage, presumably run with the ignorance of the administration so there is no control on PR damage.

And then utter silence.

/rant

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Quade was at his best when Link was coaching him and he could be in the pocket and let the forwards and the 9 grind (often around the corner as quickly as they could) until they got fast ball and a mismatch. He would then call for the ball and leverage the mismatch

To play that style takes a significant commitment from the team to play to those strengths

And there are very few sides today that build a game centering around the ball playing of the 10 to create the majority of the opportunities.

Today, due to NZ's influence, the game is more about ensemble play, playing flatter and quality catch and pass skills of the team to leverage those mismatches

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Eminently defendible position scrubber.

The problem is not that it's been done, its how it was done.

Edit - been impressed with the class QC (Quade Cooper) has shown over the last month or so. Smart enough at 29 to keep his mouth shut

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The Reds have a history of shithouse behaviour in letting blokes go. I thought the Rob Simmons one took the cake, but the Quade one ate the cake. You can also chuck in the shithouse timing of Frisby and the Prop. I suppose it came down to timing of the new coach being appointed fairly late (or that will, one day, be the argument given by the Reds)

Status
Not open for further replies.