• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Do we know if the rest system is Irish (max minutes played) or Kiwi (x number of games out)? Makes a big difference to how you rest players

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Curious, has anyone heard about a player statute getting put up for a Reds player? They’ve just finished building a new platform at the Milton Rd end of Suncorp, or the opposite side to where Wally is. From memory, there was some kind of discussion that the QRU wanted to do some kind of heritage walk or plaques?

I did think it could be a statute for Cam Smith or Thurston, but it seems out of place at that end. It coincidently finished in time for the Reds first home game.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Curious, has anyone heard about a player statute getting put up for a Reds player? They’ve just finished building a new platform at the Milton Rd end of Suncorp, or the opposite side to where Wally is. From memory, there was some kind of discussion that the QRU wanted to do some kind of heritage walk or plaques?

I did think it could be a statute for Cam Smith or Thurston, but it seems out of place at that end. It coincidently finished in time for the Reds first home game.

Is John Eales unveiled yet?

I believe Allan Langer will be the next one

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It will be a statue of John Eales getting lifted in the line out.

I've been reading a lot of the comments about player movements and the way they were treated. I just wanted to voice what I've heard through different channels. There has been rumours for a number of years dating back to the Richard Graham ear about certain group of players and their attitude towards training and partying, dare I say it was indicative or some real cultural issues at the Reds with poor standards and discipline, more broadly unprofessional behaviour. Stiles went some way to changing this by dropping players, and Thorn has taking it to another level. It was viewed that the senior players and leadership group haven't really supported this or set the standards well in the past. I think its overlooked, or not known how bad the discipline and lack of professionalism at the Reds really was.

It’s actually one area that rugby union is fortunate it doesn’t have the same profile as rugby league, that some of the poor off-season partying and antics of rugby union players isn’t reported. There's one young new recruit at the Reds this year who is on a warning and has been reigned in by other players for his behaviour on the weekends.

Also on Duncan, he is a great attacking player as you can see by that youtube video, however his reason for non-selection during 2018 was because of his defence, his tackling technique and defensive positioning is really quite poor.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
It will be a statue of John Eales getting lifted in the line out.

I've been reading a lot of the comments about player movements and the way they were treated. I just wanted to voice what I've heard through different channels. There has been rumours for a number of years dating back to the Richard Graham ear about certain group of players and their attitude towards training and partying, dare I say it was indicative or some real cultural issues at the Reds with poor standards and discipline, more broadly unprofessional behaviour. Stiles went some way to changing this by dropping players, and Thorn has taking it to another level. It was viewed that the senior players and leadership group haven't really supported this or set the standards well in the past. I think its overlooked, or not known how bad the discipline and lack of professionalism at the Reds really was.

It’s actually one area that rugby union is fortunate it doesn’t have the same profile as rugby league, that some of the poor off-season partying and antics of rugby union players isn’t reported. There's one young new recruit at the Reds this year who is on a warning and has been reigned in by other players for his behaviour on the weekends.

Also on Duncan, he is a great attacking player as you can see by that youtube video, however his reason for non-selection during 2018 was because of his defence, his tackling technique and defensive positioning is really quite poor.

Defensive stats dont prove everything.

I actually think that Duncan is quite good in defence, when he gets to do his job and not other players jobs.

I think most of his misses were chasing down a player who got through a player inside or outside of where Duncan was playing or making a large amount of ground to attempt a last ditched attempt to stop a try.

When he is allowed to tackle the player he is meant to be tackling he is quite good.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

If you are suggesting that this deflects concern over Thorn’s attitude to DP given the supposedly consistently “culture” implementation then I thi k it misses the boat. Consider Kerevi at 12 and compare what you are saying about defensive ability.

I really suspect that Thorn has a style/strategy in mind, we’d hope so obviously, but that this doesn’t value playmaking much. His call as HC. We don’t all have to like it though.

We will know more after the first couple of games.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Eales being lifted in a lineout. Did that actually happen. I recall most of Eales days he was jumping one-on-one against Jones from the ABs. Lifting may have been allowed near the end of his career, but certainly not for the majority of it.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Hi,

No I didn’t mention Duncan’s defensive statistics or his “culture”, I’m talking about purely about his tackling technique which is where his weakness is, similar to Quade he tackles high often going for the ball which gets the occasional strip and prevents an offload, but it is statistically ineffective against bigger players who will get across the gain line or bump him off, that style of tackling suits bigger guys like George North or requires a second player to come in and chop the legs. Duncan also has a habit of leading with the shoulder and driving up, no doubt a byproduct of his league days, but a a risky habit with unions rules towards head high tackles.

I think duncan will serve an important role coming off the bench in 2019, but in a fit team I don’t see him starting unless he has sorted out his tackling since 2018.

Kerevi is another with tackling deficiencies, his come from poor positioning a lot of the time rather then poor technique, and then you have guys like Daugunu who is a combination of both, which reflects his inexperience.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Eales being lifted in a lineout. Did that actually happen. I recall most of Eales days he was jumping one-on-one against Jones from the ABs. Lifting may have been allowed near the end of his career, but certainly not for the majority of it.

Lifting was well in place by the time Eales retired, it was law by the 99 world cup but had been around for a while by then. I think it was developed in South Africa during their isolation and most teams where familiar with it in the early nineties.

Edit: Here's Eales being lifted in 1996 vs Ireland:

november-1996-john-eales-australia-wins-possession-in-the-lineout-picture-id542445516

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Well Rugby already has a statue @ Lang Park - the GOAT, the KING ;)

Actually Eales is a fantastic choice, other worthy recipients Tony Shaw, Mark Loane, Tim Horan or even Bob Templeton.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Lifting was well in place by the time Eales retired, it was law by the 99 world cup but had been around for a while by then. I think it was developed in South Africa during their isolation and most teams where familiar with it in the early nineties.

Edit: Here's Eales being lifted in 1996 vs Ireland:

november-1996-john-eales-australia-wins-possession-in-the-lineout-picture-id542445516

Immortalising those wedgies in bronze?

Dunno … I feel a bit uncomfortable.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There was no legal lifting in lineouts until 2008. Between 1996 and 2008 you were only allowed to "support".

Jumpers were getting help well before those days too

Tomato tomato.

I thought it came back in when South Africa returned as they did it in their own comp?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Anyway I wanted to talk about another of the great positives happening in rugby in Qld at the moment. I’ve Spork. Ive spoken about it on here before I think - and I wrote about it on the blog but this is an update.

I went down to Ballymore to observe another session of this C2K program which was started by Brad Free. Basically it is free position specific training for rep players and A players by some former rep players.

I’ve attached some photos but it was bloody inspiring this morning. About 150 thirteen and fourteen year olds followed by close to 200 fifteen to seventeen year olds. All focused and committed to improving their skills.

Highlights included Chris Latham and Dan Herbert teaching outside backs about counter attack; Patty Howard taking the inside backs for running lines and how to make space (he’s an exceptional skills coach but I suspect we are more likely to see him in the RA Boardroom than training paddock); Free, Sam Cordingley and Jacob Raulini doing passing technique (and box kicking) to the 9s; Tom Court doing scrummaging technique to the props: Robbie Russell doing lineout throws with the hookers; Brett Robinson and Mark Connors doing backrow running and defence while Alec Evans looked after mauling.

It was incredible. Isaac Lucas and Tate McDermott came down too.

The kids were bloody impressive too. What Brad, Sam and Jacob (Peter Slattery is normally there too) has taught the young 9s is fantastic. Howard’s stuff on option taking plus the counter attack too should some super talented kids who were obviously listening and taking it all in.

I’ve had my concerns about Jnr rep teams just picking on size so it’s great to see this avenue to improve their skills and game awareness too.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Anyway I wanted to talk about another of the great positives happening in rugby in Qld at the moment. I’ve Spork. Ive spoken about it on here before I think - and I wrote about it on the blog but this is an update.

I went down to Ballymore to observe another session of this C2K program which was started by Brad Free. Basically it is free position specific training for rep players and A players by some former rep players.

I’ve attached some photos but it was bloody inspiring this morning. About 150 thirteen and fourteen year olds followed by close to 200 fifteen to seventeen year olds. All focused and committed to improving their skills.

Highlights included Chris Latham and Dan Herbert teaching outside backs about counter attack; Patty Howard taking the inside backs for running lines and how to make space (he’s an exceptional skills coach but I suspect we are more likely to see him in the RA Boardroom than training paddock); Free, Sam Cordingley and Jacob Raulini doing passing technique (and box kicking) to the 9s; Tom Court doing scrummaging technique to the props: Robbie Russell doing lineout throws with the hookers; Brett Robinson and Mark Connors doing backrow running and defence while Alec Evans looked after mauling.

It was incredible. Isaac Lucas and Tate McDermott came down too.

The kids were bloody impressive too. What Brad, Sam and Jacob (Peter Slattery is normally there too) has taught the young 9s is fantastic. Howard’s stuff on option taking plus the counter attack too should some super talented kids who were obviously listening and taking it all in.

I’ve had my concerns about Jnr rep teams just picking on size so it’s great to see this avenue to improve their skills and game awareness too.

Attachments

• IMG_1469.jpeg
    IMG_1469.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 192
  • IMG_1478.jpeg
    IMG_1478.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 190
  • IMG_1472.jpeg
    IMG_1472.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 183
  • IMG_1476 (2).jpeg
    IMG_1476 (2).jpeg