• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Silly conversation, Scott-Young and Hanigan are playing two vastly different roles for their team.

Scott-Young is playing the role of a 2nd open-side flanker for the Reds alongside Wright, that’s because the Reds are carrying a heavyweight tight 5 and need the extra mobility in the back row to offset that.

For the Tahs Hanigan should really be providing go-forward and getting across the advantage line because the tight 5 lacks that, but he doesn’t. He has good mobility but his breakdown work is pretty ineffective. I don’t see what he offers the wallabies besides height.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is not playing as a second 7, if anything Wright is playing as another 6.

If we're talking the traditional roles of the 7 in terms of covering a lot of territory, making a lot of tackles and competing at the ruck as opposed to the Blindside who is expected to be taking more runs, getting more tackle busts providing an option to get across the gain line. Then ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is certainly playing the style of a 7, and given the likes of Feao, Tupou, Tui and Timu are in the forward pack, it's easy to understand why. Wright is playing a bit like a 6, but in the context of the Reds, is still filling the primary ball fetcher role.

ASY (Angus Scott-Young) barely touched the ball against the Highlanders in attack, but I bet he probably made more tackles than anyone in the team and alongside Wright, competed at more rucks than any of their teammates.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
Not sure how Hanigan’s selection credentials are relevant to this thread, but I’ll bite. You and I are watching two different Hanigans.

Line out ability - fine. But in what way is his breakdown work improving? He remains both inaccurate & ineffective.

I don’t expect Scott-Young to feature in this years Wallabies squad, but I would have him in front of Hanigan.

I feel sorry for Hanigan. He has become somewhat of a whipping boy. It is not his fault that he keeps getting picked, but I find it somewhat ironic you felt the need to make that post in a week when lots of Waratahs fans are calling for him to be dropped from The Tahs.
Hanigan has effected 3 turnovers in two weeks. One after Holloway turned the ball over deep on attack and the Sunwolves have a run away try in the offing, Newsome gets back to tackle, Hanigan busts a gut to get back and makes the jackal to relieve the pressure. Leading turnovers effected is Marnus Schoeman with 5. Just saying that he works hard to slow the opposition’s ball down something the Reds aren’t quite amazing at just yet. Need to slow kiwi teams’ ruck speed Hurricanes especially need quick ball for their backs.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Hanigan has effected three turnovers in two weeks (one after Holloway turned the ball over deep in attack and the Sunwolves have a run away try in the offing, Newsome and Rona get back to tackle, Hanigan busts a gut to get back and makes the jackal to relieve the pressure. Leading turnovers affected is Marnus Schoeman with 5.
He tries hard, and he gets to enough breakdowns that he is occasionally going to get it right. But he is largely ineffective at the breakdown IMO, missing clean outs, not being able to shift people or stay strong over the ball enough.

Anyway - if you disagree, fair enough. I hope he comes good, I really do. I’ll leave it at that.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Very impressed with the Reds this weekend. Showing great signs, and i'm loving that

Sorovi
Stewart
Naivalu
Kerevi
Petaia (holy shit that kid looks slippery)

Hegarty and CFS least impressive, but still good. Daugunu if he gets his defence sorted would be devastating on the end of that axis. Maybe DP could play fullback? He has before I vaguely remember seeing sometime. That gets him out there as well to chime in as a second playmaker if Stewart is copping heat and the Kerevi/Petaia combo can stay put and become one of the great centre pairings.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
It's a little while off but I'm looking to take my kids (5 and 3 year olds) to their first Reds game and both are keen to wear a "Reds shirt (jersey) like Daddy". Can't justify $130ea for a jersey that will fit them for 6 months but looking at the Reds shop they only have jerseys or training tees. The tees @ $60ea are better but not much but they are mostly navy blue and they will want a Red one I'd be pretty certain.

I haven't been to the Rugby in ages but if we went along in regular clothes, whats the chances they will have merch there that isn't on the Reds shop. Like just red kids tees with a "We Are Red" and a Rusty logo or something similar on it? They used to have tons of stuff on the website. Tees, baby clothes, bibs, bags, hoodies, drink bottles etc. They don't seem to have any of that stuff anymore. Help!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Can't justify $130ea for a jersey that will fit them for 6 months but looking at the Reds shop they only have jerseys or training tees. The tees @ $60ea are better but not much but they are mostly navy blue and they will want a Red one I'd be pretty certain.

I think the issue is that this is the first year of a new jersey provider.

Maybe you'll get some specials at the end of the year or before next season.

It looks like you can get some of last year's Zoo gear from the RA shop at discounted prices. https://shop.rugby.com.au/Super-Rugby/Queensland-Reds/

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
they'll have stuff at the game for sure. But it will be the same items as on line generally, and probably the same price.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Hanigan has effected 3 turnovers in two weeks. One after Holloway turned the ball over deep on attack and the Sunwolves have a run away try in the offing, Newsome gets back to tackle, Hanigan busts a gut to get back and makes the jackal to relieve the pressure. Leading turnovers effected is Marnus Schoeman with 5. Just saying that he works hard to slow the opposition’s ball down something the Reds aren’t quite amazing at just yet. Need to slow kiwi teams’ ruck speed Hurricanes especially need quick ball for their backs.

Hanigan was the one who should’ve been shutting the gate when Holloway got stepped, he was 3-4 steps away from where he should have been jogging......

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
It's a little while off but I'm looking to take my kids (5 and 3 year olds) to their first Reds game and both are keen to wear a "Reds shirt (jersey) like Daddy". Can't justify $130ea for a jersey that will fit them for 6 months but looking at the Reds shop they only have jerseys or training tees. The tees @ $60ea are better but not much but they are mostly navy blue and they will want a Red one I'd be pretty certain.

I haven't been to the Rugby in ages but if we went along in regular clothes, whats the chances they will have merch there that isn't on the Reds shop. Like just red kids tees with a "We Are Red" and a Rusty logo or something similar on it? They used to have tons of stuff on the website. Tees, baby clothes, bibs, bags, hoodies, drink bottles etc. They don't seem to have any of that stuff anymore. Help!

Just go to KMart or similar and find them a cheap t shirt in red - that way they are dressed up in the same colours as Dad and the team so 'are part of it'.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
We're proper fucked...

The only positive I can see in this is that maybe DP will get a start

he didn't show much on Saturday nigh and I thought Kerevi looked weaker out wide.

As much as I don't rate CFS, I am prepared to say he's not a winger. I'd probably prefer CFS to 13, Kerevi at 12 and Daugunu starts,.

Reactions: dru

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I thought CFS was woeful off the ball. Watch the second try. As soon as saders break the line he jogs. That was 9 minutes in. Still has no urgency unless the ball is in his hand