• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Because I support Australia first and foremost

If you support Australia (which we all do) then the best thing for player development would have to been play super rugby this weekend.

The u20s competition does have its merit, it’s nice to have for the players resume, it’s nice to have a water cooler discussion point with the kiwis at work that NZ finally lost to Australia.

However... the game experience Isaac Lucas would of gotten from playing super rugby this weekend would of been far more beneficial then a extra day at camp for u20s.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It sucks, but this happens every year...........

And in this case the guidelines were set by all of the Australian Super Rugby coaches, including Thorn.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
If you support Australia (which we all do) then the best thing for player development would have to been play super rugby this weekend.

The u20s competition does have its merit, it’s nice to have for the players resume, it’s nice to have a water cooler discussion point with the kiwis at work that NZ finally lost to Australia.

However. the game experience Isaac Lucas would of gotten from playing super rugby this weekend would of been far more beneficial then a extra day at camp for u20s.

X - out of interest how do the u20 players rate the u20 Gold jersey v a Red cap? Initially I was thinking that sure the cap is more important and more valued, but perhaps not?

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)

However. the game experience Isaac Lucas would of gotten from playing super rugby this weekend would of been far more beneficial then a extra day at camp for u20s.

Out of the Qld players selected for Jnr Wallabies, Lucas was only one who got game time last weekend. I understand that the rest did not play one minute of club rugby. So the last time they played (except Van Nek who was not in Oceania tournament) was the game against NZ on 27 April. So it will be five and a half weeks between games for these players of the future. Therein lies an issue.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
IMO playing actual rugby is better then a training camp for young blokes..
But let’s move on, because RA aren’t going to budge on the arbitrary rule set out

S

Show-n-go

But that’s just an opinion though, it’s not set in stone fact

As i said previously what if those two days are the difference between a successful JWC and an unsuccessful one?

I’d argue winning a JWC would would be better than a super cap

B

Bobby Sands

Yea I go for the tahs and glad if they win but I’m almost equally as happy if we are beaten by one of the other Aussie teams. I just see all the super teams as feeder clubs to the wallabies so want them all to go well

Tbh I’d completely forgotten that it was NSW v QLD this weekend

I support qld & Australia equally and do not support nsw at all. I mainly hope we win this weekend, and that nsw lose every other weekend so that we can rid the Wallabies of tahs. But we shall see what happens.

Good luck with it all.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't put the Wallabies first. I support the Reds first and then the Wallabies - always have and always will. I get that I'm probably in the minority but I'm ok with that. I haven't heard it but a mate said on the Rugby Pod recently Horwill pretty much said the same thing, that it meant more to him to play for the Reds than the Wallabies and he won't be alone there. We all play/support for different reasons.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don't put the Wallabies first. I support the Reds first and then the Wallabies - always have and always will. I get that I'm probably in the minority but I'm ok with that. I haven't heard it but a mate said on the Rugby Pod recently Horwill pretty much said the same thing, that it meant more to him to play for the Reds than the Wallabies and he won't be alone there. We all play/support for different reasons.

I was always like this too. Since the end of the Link era and the Red turmoil trend it has been hard to maintain.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Indeed it is

And just because you’re done with the discussion doesn’t mean others have to be as well

Mate....I was trying to be diplomatic and wrap up a argument which was just repeating the same points back and forth..

Pretty sure there’s forums rules on that very issue.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

I support the Reds first.

The Wallabies do not seem to have the Aura of being an elite team.

Look how many players are or have been Wallabies.

I think there would almost be more players in a Super Rugby starting team who are Wallabies than not Wallabies.

It will always be an honor to represent your country but it is harder to captain your state than play for your country, no wonder Horwill feels that way.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)

Yea I go for the tahs and glad if they win but I’m almost equally as happy if we are beaten by one of the other Aussie teams. I just see all the super teams as feeder clubs to the wallabies so want them all to go well

Tbh I’d completely forgotten that it was NSW v QLD this weekend

EEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKHHHHHH:eek:

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Im actually not that biter about the Tahs Lost.
Thorn Clearly disappointed and close to breaking down by the looks in Post match Interview.
That young Reds team played well against the Tahs with mature Big game players.
Good game by the Reds, and good signs ahead....Kervei silly to piss off at the end of the season.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Im actually not that biter about the Tahs Lost.
Thorn Clearly disappointed and close to breaking down by the looks in Post match Interview.
That young Reds team played well against the Tahs with mature Big game players.
Good game by the Reds, and good signs ahead..Kervei silly to piss off at the end of the season.

He is young, play overseas for a couple of years, invest earnings and be set for life. Then come back, I am sure he would be welcome.
Pro sportsmen are only an injury away from ending their career, good luck to him.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Any updates on how Kerevi's arm pulled up ?

Heard initial concern of it being an injury to the bicep he had repaired, might become and well timed "rest".