• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
My criticism is that since 2014 we have gone:

2014 - 5 wins
2015 - 4 wins
2016 - 3 wins
2017 - 4 wins
2018 - 6 wins
2019 - likely 5 wins

The results of the team under various coaches appointed by the QRU is sending the game in QLD, and contributing to it nationally, going to the wall.

I went to the game last night - half or more of the food and bev stands were closed. Half the toilets were closed. It was a sad and depressing sight. The administrators of the QLD game are sending the game broke.

Not sure how much specific in my criticism I need to be

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
My criticism is that since 2014 we have gone:

2014 - 5 wins
2015 - 4 wins
2016 - 3 wins
2017 - 4 wins
2018 - 6 wins
2019 - likely 5 wins

The results of the team under various coaches appointed by the QRU is sending the game in QLD, and contributing to it nationally, going to the wall.

I went to the game last night - half or more of the food and bev stands were closed. Half the toilets were closed. It was a sad and depressing sight. The administrators of the QLD game are sending the game broke.

Not sure how much specific in my criticism I need to be
an absolutely deplorable situation. If management don't know what to do to arrest this, then they need to be replaced along with their coach.

and my question, which is a genuine question: how do the Reds end up in this situation when they have such depth in their school boy base and even their schools coach talent base, which is the feeder for this?

B

Bobby Sands

an absolutely deplorable situation. If management don't know what to do to arrest this, then they need to be replaced along with their coach.

and my question, which is a genuine question: how do the Reds end up in this situation when they have such depth in their school boy base and even their schools coach talent base, which is the feeder for this?

Largely because of subsiding clubs with talent that come from states that do not produce enough to sustain themselves (sadly).

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Largely because of subsiding clubs with talent that come from states that do not produce enough to sustain themselves (sadly).
I would have gone with, with one (pretty noticeable exception), they keep appointing head coaches with no record of success at a full time professional level and always expect this time to be different for reasons

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
I would have gone with, with one (pretty noticeable exception), they keep appointing head coaches with no record of success at a full time professional level and always expect this time to be different for reasons

But again, why don't QLD produce their own quality coaches ?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Not many full time professional rugby coaching gigs in Queensland. I would assume if they go through the program (Brad did) and haven't been oversea's first, they probably haven't got the experience to coach at Super Rugby.

I would say Brad's done an alright job, would I think he been better keeping Quade, probably, he could have worked with him and probably be in a better position with a quality 5/8 not the way he wanted to go. But Queensland look better this year, then last they are a real chance of beating anyone.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)

And to be fair we are not really being poached, Queensland are not signing these blokes that go interstate and start killing it.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Not many full time professional rugby coaching gigs in Queensland. I would assume if they go through the program (Brad did) and haven't been oversea's first, they probably haven't got the experience to coach at Super Rugby.

I would say Brad's done an alright job, would I think he been better keeping Quade, probably, he could have worked with him and probably be in a better position with a quality 5/8 not the way he wanted to go. But Queensland look better this year, then last they are a real chance of beating anyone.

How has quade gone for the Rebels and the much more experience backline (and coach of 2018) Wessels.

If Quade was the saviour in 2019 the BT knockers say he is, then the Rebs with Genia, Koro, Hodge, Maddocks, DHP, Meakes English etc they should be lighting it up. Reds haven't done much worse than Rebs (albeit toweled up in their two meetings). But compare the rest of the backlines and its chalk and cheese. Reds backline, bar Kerevi are rookies and journeyman rookies.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
I think it's worse than "poaching"... The Reds SHOULD be employer of choice and desired destination for 99% of kids coming out of QLD schools. But it appears we are not - and there is good reason for that. I could imagine quite a few parents of young players suggesting other teams (indeed other codes!) may offer a more stable and professional environment.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
How has quade gone for the Rebels and the much more experience backline (and coach of 2018) Wessels.

If Quade was the saviour in 2019 the BT knockers say he is, then the Rebs with Genia, Koro, Hodge, Maddocks, DHP, Meakes English etc they should be lighting it up. Reds haven't done much worse than Rebs (albeit toweled up in their two meetings). But compare the rest of the backlines and its chalk and cheese. Reds backline, bar Kerevi are rookies and journeyman rookies.

I never said that Quade was the savior, I said that they probably would have done better then they did without him, or are you calling Jono Lance and Heagty better players then Quade ?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think it's worse than "poaching". The Reds SHOULD be employer of choice and desired destination for 99% of kids coming out of QLD schools. But it appears we are not - and there is good reason for that. I could imagine quite a few parents of young players suggesting other teams (indeed other codes!) may offer a more stable and professional environment.
How many of these kid's a queenslander from birth ? (I don't know) are a lot of them ring in's going to a rugby school on scholarship ? and once finished go home / else where ?

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Wasn't aiming my post at you, however your post did spark it. That should have been clearer.

However, to answer the question I think they are probably equal all things considered. I think Hegarty or Lance would have delivered similar results in that team, and Quade in the Reds.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member

A few good QLD produced coaches at the Brumbies (McKeller), Force (Samson) and Aust U20's (Gilmore).

I'm a big Gllmore fan, he was the main reason for the success of the Qld 20's teams that Thorn gets all the credit for. A lot of those guys were in his ACGS teams too. He's not Super rugby level ready yet, but I'm hopeful of some success at the JRWC in the next few years.