• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
As a front rower, happy to have a crack at that Reg -
- keep hair tidy
- lead backline training talk fest
- save club on jersey cleaning bill
- call stupid, unnecessarily complex moves when under the pump and waste the ball hard won by the forward pack
- kick out on the full
- occasionally, hopefully, end up on the bottom of a ruck

Did I miss any?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I think what a 10 does is changing. If you think that what a 10 does is what Cooper did in 2011 and how he still plays, I think you're wrong. If the playmaker position is moreflexible you can run stuff off the 9, off the 10, off the 12 and off the 15 and things get a lot more interesting.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I’ve done this many times recently.

1. Direct the game play
2. Play making

Things it doesn’t include:
A) Head in rucks

What Stewart does quite well in the role are a wide pass, a good in play kick.

Things like D are 3rd on the rank and only when you are all over the core duties.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
One of the aspects of Stewarts' attacking game that I think is overrated (and is a little bit Bernie) is those couple of steps he takes forward when he has the ball. It helps commit the opposition before the ball goes wider. I think his kicking game is strong and improving (good distance, still working on accuracy), his wide passing game is very good as his his support play. His tackling is excellent and he doesn't mind taking the line on (remember Larkham was often critisized for getting too involved in the tight stuff - but it's how he played his game).

Lot's to like from the young fellah and definately showing more than the likes of Mack Mason etc.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
As a front rower, happy to have a crack at that Reg -
- keep hair tidy
- lead backline training talk fest
- save club on jersey cleaning bill
- call stupid, unnecessarily complex moves when under the pump and waste the ball hard won by the forward pack
- kick out on the full
- occasionally, hopefully, end up on the bottom of a ruck

Did I miss any?
You forgot:

- Spend a fortune on hair & beauty products
- drop the ball
- panic
- miss tackles

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Big call Bobby Sands.

Carozza actually been well regarded in running a very successful academy the last decade or so. Problem has been Guys like Sam Coorindly and the other muppets in the ivory tower have never had the right strategy to retain our talent & there’s been multiple cases where the Reds have let talent slip thru the cracks and go on to sign elsewhere.

McGahan might be the more accomplished coach. but why do you say his good at development?
He sure didn't leave MRRU with a reputation for developing talent. The young players in particular who had been signed on with untold potential were crushed and many have gone on to other clubs and are now blossoming.
I hate to say it, but the psyche of the young male often does not respond well to his type of verbal pressure. But that's for you guys to enjoy over the next year.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Core skills of all professional rugby union players.
1. Tackle, front on and sideways and both shoulders
2. Catch and pass
3. Pilfer when opportunity presents itself.
4. Think and understand the rules of the game.
5. Elite athlete fitness level.
6. Acceleration speed over 20 metres.
7. Clean out
8. Long placement of ball on ground.
9 leg drive in contact
10 team player mentality.

Core skill for 10
1. Control tempo of game and field positioning of team.
2. Call backline attack moves in set piece based on fast analysis of opposing defensive structure.
3. Long accurate general play kicking. High ball, cross field and distance kicking and capable of kicking both feet.
4. Confidence and timing, great communicator with 9 and backline.
5. Brilliant pass left and right over short and long distance.
6. Good speed over 50 metres.
7. High Rugby IQ
8. Inspire support and belief and team leadership.
9. Able to tackle in front line and cover tackle and know when to drop back in defence.
10. Ever present threat with ball in hand via running, passing and kicking.
11 Prepared to run at space with pace.
12 Back up and always look for a second or third touch in attack.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
He sure didn't leave MRRU with a reputation for developing talent. The young players in particular who had been signed on with untold potential were crushed and many have gone on to other clubs and are now blossoming.
I hate to say it, but the psyche of the young male often does not respond well to his type of verbal pressure. But that's for you guys to enjoy over the next year.

Which young players with untold potential were crushed and gone elsewhere to blossom?

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
^^
Jack Debreceni, Nik Stirzaker, Pat Leafa, Toby Smith, Tyrrell Lomax, Mike Harris, Bryce Hegarty, Sean McMahon, Hugh Pyle, Mitch Inman, Cadeyrn Neville and (Higginbotham - although he wasn't crushed, but he did leave him)
Just off the top of my head , you know.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^
Jack Debreceni, Nik Stirzaker, Pat Leafa, Toby Smith, Tyrrell Lomax, Mike Harris, Bryce Hegarty, Sean McMahon, Hugh Pyle, Mitch Inman, Cadeyrn Neville and (Higginbotham - although he wasn't crushed, but he did leave him)
Just off the top of my head , you know.

That’s your list of young players that were so scarred by McGahans and are now thriving at other clubs? Ok...

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
anyone else a little concerned that in October we only have 21 confirmed signings (excluding Cooper).

the half dozen remaining existing players who might sign are not exactly experience first XV types.

only one 10 signed.

is it a 30 player squad this year? or 32?

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
and i must say that the appointment of McKay and Ryan helps settle the nerves of Thorn Year 2. If that trio can stay together for a few years we might just get somewhere.

I would also like to say that Jeff Miller looks to be making some great decisions since his return. (looks to have learnt his lessons from his first time where when he was CEO, he appointed himself Coach...)

If we can get some stability and normality into our administration and coaching, we can start re-building the playing stocks and eventually results.

Could take a couple of years yet, but some good foundations being put in place.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
32... right.

so even if we sign all of BPA. Hoopert, Korcyzk, Wright, McDermott, Tela and Petaia to full contracts we still have another 4 full contract spots open plus 5 EPS....

are we struggling to get experienced and quality players to come to the Reds?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
anyone else a little concerned that in October we only have 21 confirmed signings (excluding Cooper).

the half dozen remaining existing players who might sign are not exactly experience first XV types.

only one 10 signed.

is it a 30 player squad this year? or 32?

who we know is signed and who is actually signed I suspect is substantially different. They'll be holding some spots open for sure, but I think the vast majority of those players you suggest are already on the books.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
Thanks Reg.

so its the 4 remaining spots and the lack of opportunity to recruit some true skill and experience that has me concerned at this late stage.

Besides Higs and CFS- and i guess the Smith twins & Kerevi - we are really green when it comes to experience...

Its a real concern for the coming year. Plus the lack of experienced OR back up 10.