• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Any news you guys will sign McMahon so he can come to next years world cup, or is he not coming back ?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
The last I heard he wasn't, but I imagine any big name signings for us are dependent on sorting out Cooper and Hunt's situation, need to know how much room we have to move.

Additionally the McKay and Ryan appointments might help on the recruiting front, they're both well liked and respected in their respective domains, and the Reds look like an infinitely better place to play and develop your game then they did 2 weeks ago.

Reactions: dru

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
who we know is signed and who is actually signed I suspect is substantially different. They'll be holding some spots open for sure, but I think the vast majority of those players you suggest are already on the books.

Unfortunately, when it comes to disclosure of contract length, the Reds are by far the least transparent team in the country.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
He sure didn't leave MRRU with a reputation for developing talent. The young players in particular who had been signed on with untold potential were crushed and many have gone on to other clubs and are now blossoming.
I hate to say it, but the psyche of the young male often does not respond well to his type of verbal pressure. But that's for you guys to enjoy over the next year.

We get that you had a messy departure from some sort of role at the Rebels, but this repetition about McGahan is becoming somewhat tiring...

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Thanks Reg.

so its the 4 remaining spots and the lack of opportunity to recruit some true skill and experience that has me concerned at this late stage.

Besides Higs and CFS- and i guess the Smith twins & Kerevi - we are really green when it comes to experience.

Its a real concern for the coming year. Plus the lack of experienced OR back up 10.

Will be interesting to see who steps up this year or if we end up rudderless. I mean, doesn't Duncan effectively run the backline when he's be in already?

Thinking (and watching) back on this season we are desperately in need of our own Genia/Peranara/Smith-esque (could be a 9 or 10 but those names jumped to mind) player who can actually take the team by the scruff mid-game and make things happen/lead the team around the park confidently. The forward pack is there and these coaching appointments actually make me thing we may have a cohesive, multi-phase attack strategy next year and that the individual tackling that plagued us this year will improve.

Still missing any type of on-field general, though.

As an aside, I'm really excited to see what Petaia can become - what an absolute unit of a kid and with the vision/skills to make his athleticism/size translate all the way up to Super Rugby.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Core skills of all professional rugby union players.
1. Tackle, front on and sideways and both shoulders
2. Catch and pass
3. Pilfer when opportunity presents itself.
4. Think and understand the rules of the game.
5. Elite athlete fitness level.
6. Acceleration speed over 20 metres.
7. Clean out
8. Long placement of ball on ground.
9 leg drive in contact
10 team player mentality.

Core skill for 10
1. Control tempo of game and field positioning of team.
2. Call backline attack moves in set piece based on fast analysis of opposing defensive structure.
3. Long accurate general play kicking. High ball, cross field and distance kicking and capable of kicking both feet.
4. Confidence and timing, great communicator with 9 and backline.
5. Brilliant pass left and right over short and long distance.
6. Good speed over 50 metres.
7. High Rugby IQ
8. Inspire support and belief and team leadership.
9. Able to tackle in front line and cover tackle and know when to drop back in defence.
10. Ever present threat with ball in hand via running, passing and kicking.
11 Prepared to run at space with pace.
12 Back up and always look for a second or third touch in attack.

missing the main one- the ability and willingness to improve on any of the areas you are deficient in.
Core skill of a coach, assist with players to have willingness to improve on any of the areas you are deficient in.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Tui confirmed yesterday that he's missing the Spring Tour and will be playing for the Reds next season. Hope the time away from the game helps the bloke overcome the horrible loss.

DpS7GaEU4AE-Gzg.jpg

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It'll be interesting how the Reds configure their backline next year.

Petaia is obviously a wing option, but he really looks at home in 13 to me.

Am I right that Paia'aua has played some 15? Does anyone know how he goes there?

I wonder if Thorn will be tempted to play CFS 11, Kerevi at 12, Petia at 13, Daugunu 14 & Paia'aua at 15.

Of course - that is if everyone is available and that is always a big if.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I do remember seeing Paia'aua play some 15. Trying to remember when? Perhaps once in the NRC and a few times in club? He was fine. I think through the likes of CFS, Samu, Daugunu and Perese we'll rarely have someone not injured. I thought we may see Petai at fullback given his time for QLD Country there but they seem to have settled with him at 13 (and he does look damn good there).

I am not yet sold on CFS at Super level and, if fit, would like to see Perese and Daugunu on the wings together. Happy with your suggestiosn elsewhere.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Forgot about Perese. You're right - he would be above CFS in the pecking order.

I thought this was the first year that CFS showed consistency at Super level but probably suffered a bit from the lack of cohesiveness in the Reds backline. Then the poor bugger got injured again. I'd be happy with him as bench cover.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The other interesting thing for me will be what impact the appointment of Ryan will have on the tackling of Paia'aua, Kerevi & Daugunu who have all had there problems at times.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Don't think I saw Stewart throw a cut out all day today - which is odd because usually that would be a red flag for me. And actually I think that's the best game I can recall from Stewart.(And Paia'ua was not on the field.)

If that was the only game I had seen him play I'd be feeling optimistic. So let me treat it as that.

I'm feeling optimistic.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I understand the appeal from a Reds point of view, but the last thing the ARU needs is a non-eligible player filling a flyhalf role.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I understand the appeal from a Reds point of view, but the last thing the ARU needs is a non-eligible player filling a flyhalf role.

The RA should have been thinking about opportunities for Aus player depth with :
a) The Force
b) Twiggy
c) Western Sydney

They have their own issues to resolve. Any consideration the QRU should start, and end with, how to sack the entire RA board.

Qld decisions should be based on Qld until RA show some substance behind rugby.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Whatever the failings of the ARU, surely they are entitled to expect Qld to share culpability for our lack of depth.

It's would be a bit rich to turn around and say 'not our problem'.

In any case, it is not in the Reds long term interests bring in a starting 10. A first class fullback maybe, and a back up, sure - but Stewart needs to start next year.

B

Bobby Sands

The RA should have been thinking about opportunities for Aus player depth with :
a) The Force
b) Twiggy
c) Western Sydney

They have their own issues to resolve. Any consideration the QRU should start, and end with, how to sack the entire RA board.

Qld decisions should be based on Qld until RA show some substance behind rugby.

Exactly.

Only question, would he be the best 10 in QLD?

If so, sign him.

Reactions: dru