• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
I can't see a positive in this Reds backline that isn't named Tate, Sefa, Samu, or Jordan. The first is 20 and could just be a flash in the pan. The second and third are gone (edit: Speight is not as good as Sefa, but still a good pickup, so can kind-of be considerd a like for like?). The fourth had an injury which can ruin the physical potential of anyone. Damn right you should be looking to recruit backs.

Look at the success of the Brumbies backline this year with three on-par scrumhalves, three first choice wingers, one of whom can play fullback, and an open contest for 12. If Kuridrani or Banks went down, it would really suck, but we'd have options I have faith in.

Bookmarked for future posterity.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Reds should look at boosting their front row depth with David Fe'ao back from france playing at sunnybank

I think front row is an area we have solid depth at the moment. Smith twins, Thor, Gav Luka, Hoopert but Fe’ao is a good player. If he would sign for a decent price then yes obviously have him but the market value of props can differ greatly, especially if they have had success overseas, I would rather use big dollars elsewhere.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think the two main targets for the Reds should be Debreczeni and Meaks. We need a 10 who can play straight away, but who can allow for the young guys to get game time too. We also need a 12 who can have an impact, I rate Meaks highly and I feel the Rebels should have just kept him at 12 all year and would have had much better results.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
We've got Stewart Hegarty and Lucas. Don't need to waste more $ on 5/8s.

Lucas understudy with Hegs 2020, starting 10 by end of season/2021.

Some smarter peeps than myself see Stewart @ 12, I like him so I've got an open mind.

if that;s the case then maybe we'll see:

McDermott, Hegarty, Hardy, Stewart, Petaia, CFS, Lucas ; hard to pick a bench though maybe Campbell replace CFS and CFS on the bench, that would be harsh on CFS though I think he's coming into very solid form

McDermott, Hegarty, Hardy, Petaia, CFS, Campbell, Stewart ; Lucas on bench covering 10, 15 ?

Not sure who else we have in the pipeline re: young talented backs?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
McGahan shouldn't be the starting 10, to be honest I'm not sure what the point of that experiment was.

Anyone of Lucas, Stewart or Hegarty performed better at 10 than McGahan. I agree we shouldn't target another 10 either but Debreczeni I think would fit well in multiple positions in the Reds backline, I wouldn't have him at 10 though, either 12 or 15.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Not a massive fan of Malolau & McGahan. I thought our back line play was significantly poorer when they started. Moses is sharper than Malolau, fair enough Brad wanted to have a look at them but for me it proved what we already had was better.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
We've got Stewart Hegarty and Lucas. Don't need to waste more $ on 5/8s.

Lucas understudy with Hegs 2020, starting 10 by end of season/2021.

Some smarter peeps than myself see Stewart @ 12, I like him so I've got an open mind.

if that;s the case then maybe we'll see:

McDermott, Hegarty, Hardy, Stewart, Petaia, CFS, Lucas ; hard to pick a bench though maybe Campbell replace CFS and CFS on the bench, that would be harsh on CFS though I think he's coming into very solid form

McDermott, Hegarty, Hardy, Petaia, CFS, Campbell, Stewart ; Lucas on bench covering 10, 15 ?

Not sure who else we have in the pipeline re: young talented backs?

Agree with most of this, certainly the "young" 10s cant spend years shadowing someone, sooner or later they have to step up. I am not yet convinced that coaching team has worked out how to build 10s but perhaps I will be surprised.

Stewart is missing something at 10, I love his work rate and had been wondering if he would make a 12. Is he big enough? He definitely has enough "mongrel".

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think he is big enough. Strong defender and runs hard + has a kicking and passing game. Plus he likes to get stuck into the breakdown, which is more acceptable for a centre then a 10. So he seems to have the skill set. But until we see him play there regularly it is a bit of an unknown. 2 years ago I thought he was going to come through as a really good 10.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think he is big enough. Strong defender and runs hard + has a kicking and passing game. Plus he likes to get stuck into the breakdown, which is more acceptable for a centre then a 10. So he seems to have the skill set. But until we see him play there regularly it is a bit of an unknown. 2 years ago I thought he was going to come through as a really good 10.

I know this was the narrative at the time but I never bought it. 12 seems interesting.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Question for those in the know, who are some likely targets floating around that might be acquisition targets? I don’t mean guys at other Super clubs, but guys playing OS or maybe coming through the club ranks who are capable of filling spots we need next year. In particular starting spots (so I assume mostly guys OS because there really should be many/any guys playing club who could be starters next year, surely. But interested to hear any suggestions and a bit of detail on them.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Could just say something about my capacity to spot talent too.

I thought Toutai Kefu was a dud first time I saw him play, so I have form.

Not at all - pretty much everyone had hopes for Stewart at 10. I didn’t and it took me time to get past this to realise just how good a rugby talent he is. It would be fabulous if we can find the right slot for him. 15 has been better than 10 but not perfect. 12 may work in a “second fly” mode but so far Thorn has preferred a “big bopper” centre pairing and I’m not convinced Stewart will fill that role based on size. Happy to be wrong. He definitely has the go and the engine. Reminds me of Hunt so it’s definitely worth testing.

Give him a half dozen games there to let him settle.

Reactions: TSR

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Yes its 20's but Wilson is a v. good ball runner after watching this morning.
6.ASY (Angus Scott-Young)/LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
7. Wright
8. Wilson

Probably not to start the season, that will be LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)/Wright/ASY (Angus Scott-Young), but it will be by seasons end. He runs great suicide lines and always hits the ball at pace - something Aus fwds are terrible at.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
7. Wright
8. Wilson

Probably not to start the season, that will be LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)/Wright/ASY (Angus Scott-Young), but it will be by seasons end. He runs great suicide lines and always hits the ball at pace - something Aus fwds are terrible at.

Also, always manages to hold onto the ball. Every time he does those balls at pace, you think oh he must've dropped it, it looked to flat to be true and almost a mistake. But nup, mitts still on the ball, very impressive.

spud

Peter Burge (5)
7. Wright
8. Wilson

Based on the U20's I think Wilson will be on the bench. I feel like Fraser McReight will get the nod first. The starting forward pack for next year should be:

1. Hoopert/ JP Smith
2. Mafi
3. Tupou
4. Rodda
5. Salakai-Loto
6. Wright
7. McReight
8. ASY (Angus Scott-Young)

With the following players on the bench:
16. BPA
17. Hoopert/JP Smith
18. Ruan Smith/Feao if he has another big pre-season
19. Hockings
20. Wilson

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Wright/ASY (Angus Scott-Young)/McRreight as a combo play a little too light for my liking.

I think Salakai-Loto will persist at 6 with a mix of ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Wright, McReight and ASY (Angus Scott-Young) filling out the other two back row positions to give weight to the back row.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Outside the box thought.

What about Ben Te’o on a 1 year deal with a 1 year option?

He’s left Worcester, has been linked to a team in every comp including Super Rugby, most recently the Sunwolves on a dual deal with a top league side. If them, then why not us on the same arrangement? Not sure what the current RA rules around marquee players are but;

Pros
- he’s spent many years in Brisbane, is passionate about QLD
- The foundations in QLD are pretty strong sure and there is a great crop of youngsters coming through BUT they are 2-3 years away from being dominant Super players and the Reds simply must get more wins next year for the financial viability of the game. Kerevi’s departure is an absolute hammer blow to that ambition. Te’o is the only available player who could replace some of Samu’s skill set, leadership and crowd drawing abilities.
- he has history with the coaching staff

Cons;
- he is old (but so is Nonu)
- he isn’t wallaby eligible and would block the pathway of a younger Australian player (but to be honest I don’t see a 12 of that type ready to come in from club land or another Super side and it would only be for a year).

It would seem a bit of a departure from the Reds current philosophy but remember they signed Jono Lance for a year and played him in front of Stewart (also G Smith with Wright etc.). Personally I think the benefits of short 1+1 flexible deal on the right money far outweighs the cons.

Anyone got Dave Hanham’s email addresses?

S

Show-n-go

^^not a bad option

I’d also want an experienced IC to take the pressure of Jordan at OC so he can just focus on his own play