1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Discussion in 'Rugby Discussion' started by RugbyReg, May 9, 2019.

1. redstragic Nicholas Shehadie (39)

^^

It's a shit sandwich all round right now and I feel for everyone. All I want is for the Reds to survive and be able to regularly crush the Tahs again and bring some happiness into my life.
    Hound, Dismal Pillock and TSR like this.
  2. Dark Shark Alex Ross (28)

Seriously, the number of people in all walks of life who do not understand the financial landscape has changed so dramatically for at least the short to medium term astonishes me.

Does their agent not understand that his players have not and will not be generating the content and revenues that his players were enjoying a share of. If the revenue pie shrinks so does the same % of the piece of the pie. And the old chestnut that they can go elsewhere such as UK, Europe or Japan still has a substantial question mark over it for next season.

I think the players should also be consulting a little wider than their agent right at this time.
  3. Getwithme Cyril Towers (30)

I'm telling you this isn't about the players this is all about their manager
    Hound, Derpus, TSR and 5 others like this.
  4. The Nomad Cyril Towers (30)

^Yep guessing the manager isn't finding the smaller slice of pie palatable.

What other options are these lads going to have available?
    Getwithme and Dark Shark like this.
  5. Shaker Ron Walden (29)

This is made exponentially worse by the fact that Rodda is considered a leader in the dressing room. Their agent has alot to answer for and i can only imagine the rage Thorn is in at Ballymore right now.
    The Nomad, Getwithme and PhilClinton like this.
  6. Ignoto Chilla Wilson (44)

Geeez, their manager has really backed them into a no-win corner here. The leagues overseas aren't operating and for Lucas and Harry, why would any club pay a premium for them? They've now lost all bargaining power by not having a club so they J-League and European clubs will only offer you peanuts.
  7. Garry Owens Alan Cameron (40)

@Getwithme

Ultimately the buck does stop with the players. It's like a Principal in any commercial negotiation hiding behind and blaming their A Hole lawyer while they claim blameless status. Bullshit. They know what they are doing ( or maybe they don't ) but in any case they are rolling the dice at a time where it is pretty questionable to take that path (to say the least)
    Braveheart81 likes this.
  8. Brumby Jack Steve Williams (59)

The same agent who the QRU are 'fed up' with after previous dealings
    Hound and Getwithme like this.
  9. cyclopath Phil Waugh (73)

Certainly an odd time to try to play (or have someone behind the scenes playing) silly buggers with contracting.
  10. PhilClinton Syd Malcolm (24)

Tinfoil hat time - lots of us surprised that Rodda didn't get the captains call up. Could the influence of his manager played a role? Sounds like he (Picone) is jumping at the opportunity to get these guys out of long term deals and onto some greener pastures with fatter pockets, but that doesn't really exist at the moment.
  11. cyclopath Phil Waugh (73)

You need to aim higher. The Tahs crush themselves. :D
    Hawko, Troy, redstragic and 2 others like this.
  12. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

Agreed. I have no doubt the manager has pushed them to take this stand but they are adults and it is their decision.

It's a poor decision both from their own financial position right now because they're now not getting paid at all and stupid from an overall contract perspective because there are no other options available right now.

You would also think that for three young players either embedded in the Wallabies or on the verge of it, it's not a great idea career wise to be trying to find a way to leave Australia.
    Garry Owens and Dark Shark like this.
  13. Dctarget Peter Sullivan (51)

Very disappointing to hear but not unsurprising, it was bound to happen. Their careers are very limited and are only an injury away from being out of work forever. They need to maximise their earnings now and taking a haircut ain't gonna help (if they can find better elsewhere).

But this agent does sound like an utter fuck bucket.
    Silverado and Getwithme like this.
  14. Getwithme Cyril Towers (30)

It's super surprising as like a lot of people on here, many know at least one of these fellas personally and they are extremely passionate about the QLD cause. They love the group and have never been selfish individuals. All roads lead to one location..
  15. Up the Guts Paul McLean (56)

All this just really goes to show the genius of the Waratah recruiters. Can’t have pay disputes when you only sign rookies who aren’t in a position to negotiate a contract.
    Bobby Sands, Hound and PhilClinton like this.
  16. Finsbury Girl Bill McLean (32)

Extremely poor decision from all 3. Was the time to show a bit of leadership and solidarity. As I have said before during the WRC fiasco loyalty was most certainly rewarded and never forgotten.

Does not look good either publicly or within the team environment.

Really bad career moves.

Best thing for them TODAY would be to man up, say I didn't think this through, made a mistake, as my teammate are doing we willing to sacrifice for the good of rugby, QLD rugby and my teammates. Sorry we let everyone down.
  17. drewprint Vay Wilson (31)

The move is definitely landing flat with fans if social media is anything to go by. Horrible optics for the three of them.
    Getwithme likes this.
  18. Finsbury Girl Bill McLean (32)

Absolutely bang on Reg. The penny is finally dropping.

Consolidation and survival. When food is scarce the pack will shrink, when it is more abundant it can expand.
  19. PhilClinton Syd Malcolm (24)

A hollow apology digs the hole deeper in my opinion. They may have been led down this path, but there has been plenty of time to jump off, it shouldn't take them being put through the ringer by their fans to realize how this looks. They've made their bed. I'll struggle to get behind this blokes in future.
  20. Derpus Simon Poidevin (60)

Is Lucas' position that strong? last few games he wasn't even making the Reds bench.
    Up the Guts, Ignoto and RugbyReg like this.