• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
A hollow apology digs the hole deeper in my opinion. They may have been led down this path, but there has been plenty of time to jump off, it shouldn't take them being put through the ringer by their fans to realize how this looks. They've made their bed. I'll struggle to get behind this blokes in future.

I'd hope for a genuine apology along with some genuine contrition.

HH & Lucas are still pretty young, just what the hell are their parents telling them?

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
wow, that agent must have the gift of the gab to sell his guys down the river Nile without denial

"Fuck pay cuts, I'll find all 3 of youz big-paying gigs overseas."
"But I thought the rest of the world was closed down and the entire worldwide sporting landscape had downsized into an era of austerity, frugality and massive corporate bankruptcies?"
"Nah, that's just the 5G conspiracists or some shit eh. Just sit at home on the playstation with some beers and soon the money will be rolling right in for youz 3."
"Oh ok then."

Double Agent

Allen Oxlade (6)
Has Justin Harrison from RUPA made a comment on this yet? these are the times you see if people are real leaders, easy to lob in grenades via close contacts in the press. A little harder when you have to confront real issues.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Has Justin Harrison from RUPA made a comment on this yet? these are the times you see if people are real leaders, easy to lob in grenades via close contacts in the press. A little harder when you have to confront real issues.

Prolly just bang on about how it shows the need for a review.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I guess a few lock names to throw out there on the watch list are :

Michael Wood (Brothers)
Connor Vest (UQ)
Fred Fewtrell (Easts)

Vest , especially , could be a guy that comes on quicker than what some may expect. Played some NRC with the Rays and is a robust big human.

The young kid from Souths who everyone was going gaga about last year (name escapes) seems aligned to the First Order (NewStarSports).

Would have been handy to have a Darcy Swain at home right now

In fact , at this stage, if you have a look at current 20's, 18's and below there really aren't any obvious stand out prospects. That's not meaning to say that none will emerge in the current 16 to 19 year old age bracket, all I'm saying there really isn't anyone at the moment you look at and go "oh yeah of course"

The lock stocks are looking a bit thin downstream

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm guessing those guys on development contracts elsewhere have out clauses if they get a full contract elsewhere. The Brumbies have a few QLD locks down there - I'd be happy to get Ryan Smith back. Even Ben Hyne from the SUnwolves perhaps?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
No point paying him top dollar when you have Wright (form 7) and McWright (the best young 7 in Aus). Tahs have Hooper and the Brumbies back-row is stacked.

Could've gone to the Rebels i guess.

There no longer seems to be a place in Aus for players who are outside the Wallabies squad but are otherwise highly rated.

There is absolutely a place - just no money! Without an RA top up (of which there aren't that many to go around) then the salary on offer is significantly reduced and easily overshadowed by just about anywhere overseas.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
RUPA needs to ask Farrell and Paisami if they were approached by their agent to potentially reject the pay cut deal. It seems to be an attack on the Reds.

This interests me - Farrell had clearly underperformed at Super level so far, so much so they brought in that Shute Shield bloke to leap frog him. Paisami was having a good year but then got injured. You would say their market value is significantly lower than the other 3 blokes, maybe too risky for them to look like jumping ship?

Or as Reg points out maybe these two just had different contractual obligations as they weren't full squad members, to my understanding.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Sad day for the Reds. Gotta ask what these guys were thinking.

I certainly wouldn't go that far. They could easily be back at training within a week after agreeing to the new pay deal.

It seems unlikely that any of them would be trying to get out of their contracts to sign elsewhere so it seems more like a game of chicken that they lost but they haven't quite realised that yet.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Got to ask what else they might have lost along the way.

Haven’t t heard too many positive comments regarding the three.