1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Discussion in 'Rugby Discussion' started by RugbyReg, May 9, 2019.

1. PhilClinton Charlie Fox (21)

Have heard ASY has been preparing for an increased role in the lineout. Is it possible they will look to him as a lock? I can kind of see it happening as a way to get McReight on the field sooner, sub off Blyth, move ASY into the row and bring McReight on.
    Getwithme likes this.
  2. upthereds#! Dick Tooth (41)

I've rewritten this response a couple times because the more I think about it, the more I think it is you are on the right track. We probably would shift ASY to lock BEFORE bringing on Smith/Tualima or Wood. They will get their time, but I can see ASY moving to lock and Mcreight to flank early in the 2nd half, whilst the bigger (and less experienced) forward replacement comes on later in the 2nd half.

Moral of the story - is the 1st sub to come on (to replace someone in 4/5/6/7/8) going to be Mcreight, or Smith/Tualima/Wood?My money is on Mcreight, even if it is for a 4/5 - therefore - ASY likely to do time at lock.
    RebelYell likes this.
  3. RugbyReg George Smith (75)

yeah I am pretty sure I saw some footage of ASY packing in at lock in training videos. Might hope that's as bench back up and we start with McReight. Blythe, LSL, Wilson and Wright makes a suitable lineout I reckon.

I don't think Jordie P will be ready yet so suspect Stewart stays at 12 (deservedly) and Hunter is at 13.
  4. Brumby Runner John Eales (66)

ASY at lock would be something like Thorn playing there, I suppose. Could turn out good.
    Jimmy_Crouch likes this.
  5. Wilson Chilla Wilson (44)

Wayne smith has Paisami back but no Petaia:

He also seems to suggest the back row will be McReight, Wright and Wilson but I'm not sure what that's based on

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...t/news-story/0fb65e34a331dfd5440fba06fbfa1b2a
  6. Sully John Eales (66)

7. Double Agent Peter Burge (5)

Thinking this game is a great opportunity for the Reds to really recapture some fan support considering the Broncos imploding. Speaking with mates who follow both teams up there many have written the Broncos off for this year and are itching for Reds to play. I know a win over the Tahs is important every year but feel like a great game and win this week could have a really big impact. And I see Broncos only attracted a little over 6,000 last Sat when capacity was 10,000. Would be fantastic for the Reds to top that this week - would make some of the league journos heads explode.
    Purce, Jimmy_Crouch, Ignoto and 5 others like this.
  8. upthereds#! Dick Tooth (41)

Just on the no. of spectators. I know people working in league admin and its been tough for them to get actually get people to go! It's not asy easy as saying there are 10k seats. Chances are Broncos gave tickets to those members who pledged their memberships + corporate and sponsors.

For the Reds they may get lucky depending on how many ticketed members there are and be able to get everyone there. If not, it is a complex beast to decide who gets a chance and who doesn't!
    Double Agent likes this.
  9. Ignoto Chilla Wilson (44)

Agreed. That 2011 - 2013 period where the Broncos tanked and the Reds were doing well just demonstrated how much we love watching a winning team.

Hopefully 2020 can be our 2010!
    Double Agent and Jimmy_Crouch like this.
  10. Zac Preston Frank Row (1)

11. Tangawizi Peter Fenwicke (45)

Since Covid hit before there'd been any Broncos home games, they rolled everyone's memberships into 2021. So now you have to pay per game to go.

So they're going to struggle for crowds for a while unless they start winning.

So Reds may well get a bigger crowd this weekend as no need for members to pay again to go. Just had to click a few buttons.

Brace yourselves for longer waits in bar lines if you're going on Friday night. Social distancing doesn't let too many people into the bar area at once.
    Double Agent likes this.
  12. drewprint Cyril Towers (30)

My friends are a pretty good bellweather. Once huge rugby fans who have slowly dropped off for a number of reasons. But boy are they disillusioned with the Broncos currently. And even before this, they were starting to take note of the exciting play of the young Reds team and wanting to start attending matches again.

That’s the thing with rugby in Australia I feel. It’s been in the doldrums for years but plenty of people who have fallen off the wagon are just looking and waiting for a reason to get back on board again. It just needs that spark.
    RebelYell, Ignoto and Hound like this.
  13. Jimmy_Crouch Trevor Allan (34)

In 2011, I was at a Reds game and a bloke behind me in the beer queue said something to his mate along the lines of "I haven't been to a Reds game in years but the kids were whinging at me to come." At first I was angry, "f*cking bandwagoners, they hadn't sat in the rain on the hill at Ballymore to watch the team get smashed by the blues last year" but then I though how good. His kids got him to come.

I think there is a massive coloration between the Reds winning SR in 2011 and the current roster. Those kids whinging at their parents and getting along to games in 2011 are the Reds players now. It helped keep them in rugby. You can see this with the Waratahs. All the Aussie u20 players coming through NSW were in their early teens when the tahs won.
    Hound and Double Agent like this.
  14. Beer Baron Vay Wilson (31)

Pretty basic really - i'll pay money to be entertained. If there is a 10% chance based on recent performances of being entertained - i'm not going to spend $50+. I don't owe the reds anything. They get paid to play. They completely have to earn the crowd. I don't understand people who are anti bandwagon. Why would i/anyone pay to see a losing team (a la the broncos at the moment)??
  15. RugbyReg George Smith (75)

dunno. Always been a Reds fan. I'm invested him them.

I thought what was missing in rugby was the parochialism? But what your saying the secret to getting the fans back is ensure everyone is always winning? THat should be easy.
    Hound, Jimmy_Crouch and dru like this.
  16. Beer Baron Vay Wilson (31)

Didn't say always winning.
    Should be enjoyable/entertaining. That doesn't necessarily mean winning all the time. The Reds have been entertaining this year. However off the back of years of garbage they have a higher hurdle
  17. Ignoto Chilla Wilson (44)

The Reds sucked big time when Wendell moved to the Tahs but that first game at Suncorp with him playing in blue was packed.
    Hound and RugbyReg like this.
  18. HJ Nelson Cyril Towers (30)

Took my kids to that game (5 & 7 years). Was a bit worried about the "Wendell is a Wanker" chants every time Big Dell got the ball. Asked my son (5) about it later, and he asked 'Why were they calling Wendell a waiter ?'
    Ignoto, Hound, RugbyReg and 4 others like this.
  19. RugbyReg George Smith (75)

What about the exotic dancers at half time? How’d they react to that?
    Ignoto, Hound and HJ Nelson like this.
  20. Bobby Sands Peter Johnson (47)

Lolo Fakaosilea is in Brisbane, back from Japan - I assume still contracted to Kinetsu.

Would be one to bring back in and have a look at I would have thought.