• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
The lineout wasn't great on Friday but Rob Simmons is a very good defensive lineout operator for the Tahs.
In time, I don't think that Rodda and Hockings will be too big a loss and Tualima and Wood will be good. The lineout (Rodda and Hockings core role) isn't one of the Reds' strengths but they don't need it to be a strength because they have plenty of other attacking weapons.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Reds v Rebels at Brookvale Oval Friday night - wahoo. Never dreamt I'd see the Reds play at Brookie. now to just get a ticket.

Great isn't it. I happen to be in Sydney for the next 2 weeks and just bought four tickets to the game. Never been to Brookvale and wouldn't have imagined at the start of this year that I get to watch my two favourite teams battle it out in Sydney no less. Life could be worse.

B

Bobby Sands

I fear that Petaia might be this generation’s Geoff Fenwicke - a hugely talented player that we will never get to see play. At least Jordan managed a couple of caps, Geoff wasn’t so lucky. I hope I’m wrong, I’d love to see him as an integral part of the Wallabies (and Reds) for the next several years.

No more of this absurd, alarmist, rubbish.

He’s a young bloke who’s had a few injuries - stop contributing to this pressure on him.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
His injury has been fortuitous in that Paisami looks the goods as well. The potential for 3 test quality 13s sounds a hell of a lot better than throwing Hodge in as a stop gap again.

Edit: 4 if JOC (James O'Connor) isnt 10.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
No more of this absurd, alarmist, rubbish.

He’s a young bloke who’s had a few injuries - stop contributing to this pressure on him.

I agree. His injury history reminds me of CFS whom I was worried about fora while, but he seems to be fine now. This year has been his best that I can remember for a while. Sometimes these guys just need time to work into their bodies and gain that natural old man strength.

B

Bobby Sands

I will put a longer post in the match thread, but all in all I was stoked about the win.

Not because we played very well, but because of the toughness and spirit. I have been saying it for a long time, but we have the makings of one of the best domestic packs in the world. Although its a shame to lose those two tall knuckleheads, as that sets us back a fair bit in that position. But QLD rugby will produce more, and we already have some handy ones coming through.

In all honesty though we have talent in every position, and even more talent behind them.

We will soon be the best team in Oz, and it's been a bloody long time in the making!

Let it be known, QLD rugby is coming.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I will put a longer post in the match thread, but all in all I was stoked about the win.

Not because we played very well, but because of the toughness and spirit. I have been saying it for a long time, but we have the makings of one of the best domestic packs in the world. Although its a shame to lost those two tall knuckleheads, as that sets us back.

In all honesty though we have talent in every position, and even more talent behind them.

We will soon be the best team in Oz, and it's been a bloody long time in the making!

Let it me know, QLD rugby is coming.

its hard to make that argument now unfortunately. With Rodda and Hockings there, absolutely. Now? No way.

There's obliviously a gap at 15 but has been since Latho left in reality.

B

Bobby Sands

its hard to make that argument now unfortunately. With Rodda and Hockings there, absolutely. Now? No way.

There's obviously a gap at 15 but has been since Latho left in reality.

Jock is a great talent, and Mack is a lovely prospect.

Locks are short, but I think Wood will be a great player for us. Even on no exposed form, he is a very QLD rugby type of player.

I stand by what I said, and think our squad is in a bloody good spot. Just posted a more indepth post in the match thread.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Thoughts on changes for Friday? (sorry if there is already a thread)

Like others, I'd bench Hegarty and move Jock back to 15 with CFS on the wing.

Not sure about lock. Can only assume Blyth is not right. They obviously rate Big T highly...has been another Thorn project player. I like Ryan Smith a lot.

I expect they'll go T though. Lineout not a major factor v Rebels with Uelese throwing.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Like others, I'd bench Hegarty and move Jock back to 15 with CFS on the wing.

Not sure about lock. Can only assume Blyth is not right. They obviously rate Big T highly.has been another Thorn project player. I like Ryan Smith a lot.

I expect they'll go T though. Lineout not a major factor v Rebels with Uelese throwing.

Any idea if Blyth was calling the lineout before he went off, and if he was calling at all before Rodda and Hockings left? I wonder if one of the issues was after Blyth went down we had no-one with any calling experience on the field. Not sure what the answer is beyond training others to call, unless someone like Angus Scott-Young has called before.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Not really. On a defensive lineout how often do we send anyone up? Successfully? It makes no difference whatsoever on our own throw where we really need to be doing better.

Even if you say, well both teams will lose their own throw more often than they win it, balances the stats - how would you change strategy around that?

Our line out needs to improve.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I read on here that Blyth was calling the lineout for most of the pre-COVID rounds.

Mind you, not sure if that’s an endorsement

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Had a look at the Reds Insta over lunch , there's a clip of ASY (Angus Scott-Young) doing the speech for T before the Tahs game.

They look about the same height in the video which surprised me.