• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

B

Bobby Sands

On that, what do people think of ASY (Angus Scott-Young). I wasn't amazed by him this year, but given his lineage and he's only young I will give him some time. But do people think he's a Wallaby in waiting or a solid super player?

I think ASY (Angus Scott-Young) has tremendous value to QLD rugby, in many ways he is similar to Peter Ryan (probably why he likes him). I just think players like Wilson, Wright and McReight have a more varied skillset and will as a result have a higher ceiling as players.

Dont get me wrong however, rough and ready "bush" style backrowers who are physical and knock blokes over all day are incredibly valuable and nothing to sneeze at.

ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is also a man of great character who trains his arse off and loves QLD. These are the type of people, as seperate of just players, that will take QLD rugby back to the promised land.

B

Bobby Sands

Bailey Tautau is another Australian schoolboys No.8 from QLD who to head to New Zealand last year as well, he is one to watch in the future.

Where is he now, ITM u19 I assume? Do you know which province?

B

Bobby Sands

I hope that we sign 5 or so players from prems as wider training squad players such as; Rowan Safaloi, Lynch, Korch, Paisami, Isaac Henry etc.

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
I think ASY (Angus Scott-Young) has tremendous value to QLD rugby, in many ways he is similar to Peter Ryan (probably why he likes him). I just think players like Wilson, Wright and McReight have a more varied skillset and will as a result have a higher ceiling as players.

Dont get me wrong however, rough and ready "bush" style backrowers who are physical and knock blokes over all day are incredibly valuable and nothing to sneeze at.

ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is also a man of great character who trains his arse off and loves QLD. These are the type of people, as seperate of just players, that will take QLD rugby back to the promised land.

Exactly the reason he's captaining Country. Great leader.

Reactions: TSR

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I hope that we sign 5 or so players from prems as wider training squad players such as; Rowan Safaloi, Lynch, Korch, Paisami, Isaac Henry etc.

I must admit I am a little intrigued by this George Francis playing in the front row for QLD Country. One to keep an eye out for.

Similarly Ilasia Droasese and I've been impressed with Brad Twidale too.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I must admit I am a little intrigued by this George Francis playing in the front row for QLD Country.

You'd think he has some sort of Reds offer on the way. As far as I know he was with the Brumbies/Vikings last year and I thought was signed by Southern Districts in Shute Shield this year.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)

Spot on. He is the from the Mattie Cockbain mould, does the business all day. Plenty of ticker. Doesn't need to run a million miles when you (will) have the likes of Wilson and McReight. BUT you can see he is working on his running game, he is a big unit, he'll get there. His partnership at the ruck this year with Wright was immense they complemented each other perfectly.

Add Wilson to the mix and you get an unbelievable 6,7,8 (regardless of which Right brother you choose) on the openside. Could be the new Cockbain, Stinky, Kefu combo.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Crystal ball for rd 1 2020.........

1. Fotuaika/Hoopert
2. BPA
3. Thor
4. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
5. Rodda
6. McReight
7. Wright
8. ASY (Angus Scott-Young)?
9. McDermott
10. Hegarty
11. Speight
12. Rabbit
13. Petaia
14. Daugunu
15. Stewart

16. Mafi
17. JP Smith
18. Ruan Smith
19. Hockings
20. Uru
21. Sorovi
22. Lucas
23. CFS

B

Bobby Sands

I must admit I am a little intrigued by this George Francis playing in the front row for QLD Country. One to keep an eye out for.

Similarly Ilasia Droasese and I've been impressed with Brad Twidale too.

Fiji U20 Previews.

"The back line was not as fluid as they would have liked, but outside centre Ilaisa Droasese looked consistently threatening, as well as making a number of effective defensive reads and one-on-one tackles."

"whilst inside centre Ilaisa Droasese will provide much of the cutting edge and thrust in the midfield that sevens star Vilimoni Botitu brought to the team last year."
Me too re Twidale.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Talking schoolboys last year we have Will Roach (a classical 7. Hard on the ball and loves a pilfer) and Reno Gerrard (a hard running, uncompromising No 8).

They're the two standouts I reckon, but there are a few others around the traps too.
Will Roach plays a lot like Pocock. A Reds Development contract would serve him well.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Not another one (Roach). I reckon McReight is a clone of Poey already.

Roach’s timing of coming of age may not be the best when the Reds have Wright and McReight going for the 7 jersey. The size of all three of these players does make it difficult for them to slot into other spots in the back row. And there is also Kibble.

Brumbies or Rebels could use Roach’s talents.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Roach’s timing of coming of age may not be the best when the Reds have Wright and McReight going for the 7 jersey. The size of all three of these players does make it difficult for them to slot into other spots in the back row. And there is also Kibble.

Brumbies or Rebels could use Roach’s talents.
That is bloody ridiculous. Why would we want to ship out a talent like Roach. There are not too many up and coming players with a rugby IQ like Roach. I can count 2. Give him a Development Contract and in 2 -3 years I see him competing with either Wright or McReight for a starting position. Who knows where players end up in a few years in the current ARU climate. QRU needs focus on depth for now and the future, and that is achieved by keeping talent here.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Wright is 193 cm. Hardly pigeon holed as a seven.

At least not pigeon holed at Super Rugby level where you can easily get away with lighter back rows.. Even at test level, as long as there is balance across the forward pack you can still have a blindside of those physical traits. Although historically they have leaned towards a bigger bodied player at blindside then what Wright currency offers.

He could serve a key role as back row reserve though.

B

Bobby Sands

I love that the Wright to 6 idea is gathering steam. Hope Thorn is on the same page.