• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The backrower situation reminds me of a couple years back (circa 2013-2016) when it felt like we had lots of players signed and giving us similar attributes, in the likes of Robinson, Gunn, Gill, Schatz, Higginbotham and Houston. Albeit most of those guys were on their way out of the Reds, they didn't seem to work together as a unit when on the field.

I hold this new crop in relatively higher esteem at this stage and hopefully they will learn to compliment each other over the coming seasons, but it will cause quite a number of headaches regarding selections if all these guys start to or continue developing their games in the next 12 months.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’m not as critical of LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at 6 as some but, regardless, I think it highly likely that he’ll translation back to the row over the next 12 months.

I can see McReight getting a start from the outset next year with a backrow of McReight, Wright (6) & ASY (Angus Scott-Young) (8) with Wilson off the bench. I think that will give us decent balance - although I would like to see ASY (Angus Scott-Young) become a bit more powerful in contact.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Off topic but maybe relevant for the Reds 2021 thread.

Which schoolboy backrower is the kid to watch for next season whom might come into the reds frame?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
On that, what do people think of ASY (Angus Scott-Young). I wasn't amazed by him this year, but given his lineage and he's only young I will give him some time. But do people think he's a Wallaby in waiting or a solid super player?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I’m not as critical of LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at 6 as some but, regardless, I think it highly likely that he’ll translation back to the row over the next 12 months.

I can see McReight getting a start from the outset next year with a backrow of McReight, Wright (6) & ASY (Angus Scott-Young) (8) with Wilson off the bench. I think that will give us decent balance - although I would like to see ASY (Angus Scott-Young) become a bit more powerful in contact.

If you run that backrow setup I think the second row needs to be Hockings and Rodda. Hockings is a lineout god but it also means keeping a current first string Wallaby on the bench, something which I doubt would happen, at least to start the season.

Reactions: dru
B

Bobby Sands

Another thing about ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is that he was dux of Churchie which is extraordinary. It was reported in the paper yesterday that he is just about to finish his double degree (Commerce, Science) with a GPA of 7.

B

Bobby Sands

Jaysus, how is he nearly finished uni, a double degree no less and kept up professional rugby? Impressive.

Now choosing whether to do masters in commerce or medicine.

His family have a long history in medicine.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
He's only 22, that must mean he did essentially a full load at uni. All my footy mates do 1 subject at a time and graduate from a 3 year degree in business in 10 years.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Off topic but maybe relevant for the Reds 2021 thread.

Which schoolboy backrower is the kid to watch for next season whom might come into the reds frame?

Talking schoolboys last year we have Will Roach (a classical 7. Hard on the ball and loves a pilfer) and Reno Gerrard (a hard running, uncompromising No 8).

They're the two standouts I reckon, but there are a few others around the traps too.

B

Bobby Sands

Talking schoolboys last year we have Will Roach (a classical 7. Hard on the ball and loves a pilfer) and Reno Gerrard (a hard running, uncompromising No 8).

They're the two standouts I reckon, but there are a few others around the traps too.

What about Lachlan Connors who was starting 8 for Oz from St Pats?

I haven’t seen him play, but it’s a fair old effort.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah, I was going to mention him. A quality player too. He could be a handy 6 to make a good combo with those other two. All should be on show in the Under 19s NRC to start soon.

B

Bobby Sands

yeah, I was going to mention him. A quality player too. He could be a handy 6 to make a good combo with those other two. All should be on show in the Under 19s NRC to start soon.

Kohan Herbert from Downlands & formerly oz schools is braining them in NZ.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
On that, what do people think of ASY (Angus Scott-Young). I wasn't amazed by him this year, but given his lineage and he's only young I will give him some time. But do people think he's a Wallaby in waiting or a solid super player?

I see his value in defence, high work rate who will tackle all day and miss very few. Plays a bit of a Jake Shatz style of rugby though, not a great ball runner, not great at pilfering.. but provides a line out target, is a smart player and will work all day.