• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Well I agree To'omua is a much better player then Stewart at 10 and 12.

Would not argue at 10.

For 12 they both offer something a little different in terms of strengths at D rather than play ,making per se. Stewart ruck strengths are better than To'omua (who has plenty). I don't think To'omua's kicking in play is a huge leap ahead of Stewart though definitely ahead.

What To'omua has is calm strength to guide a team, and while Stewart is no slouch there, it is something that To'omua has in spades.

At 12 in summary, Stewart and To'omua have a lot of similarities that many miss.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think if SH was pulling the strings at 10 next we would be middle of the pack team in Super Rugby AU.

Stewart, Hamish.

OK.

James, there is fine margins in a 5 team comp between top two and middle of the pack. I suspect that there is a chance we would drop from #1 given just how much JOC (James O'Connor) gives us. But I don't see Rebels leap-frogging us with Stewart at 10.

BUT. If Stewart plays 10 and shoves his head inside just one ruck looking for a ball turnover, I am going to scream. Horses for courses, and IMO that is not the horse for that course.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Not great- they weren't good and actively recruited a replacement flyhalf.

Eh? Yes he was great. Not the best in the comp, but great. And no, the only 10's recruited were for development. JOC (James O'Connor) was hardly recruited specifically for 10. These issues formed up over time as the coaching team considered options. JOC (James O'Connor) has ended up a much better 10 than Stewart - but it wasn't where the thinking was in recruitment.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I answered so I could get in before all the revisionist responses like DRUs above came in (plus poor humour)

I feel like we're being quite generous with the word 'great' here; Queensland rugby invested heavily with Hamish Stewart and he was given ample opportunity to show his wares as a flyhalf (predominantly due to the attributes I listed above- robust, tough and predominantly coachable) but the fact is that he never really nailed down that position.

If HW was indeed 'great' he would be playing flyhalf for the Reds and they would have moved JOC (James O'Connor) to fullback as that's the position that we are constantly debating. They might not have intentionally recruited JOC (James O'Connor) as a flyhalf but the fact that he's ended up playing there is even more of an indictment of the stocks they had.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I answered so I could get in before all the revisionist responses like DRUs above came in (plus poor humour)

Oh dear. Reds actively recruited a 10? Crumbs I was screaming for it and they did not.

Anyhows, I don't want Stewart back at 10 either. Just dispute your historical "non" revisionism.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Hamish is one of the most over-hyped players in Super Rugby. Not saying he isn't Super quality. but he's shown me, and I guess most fans of other teams, nothing to support his consideration for a Wallaby spot. Simone, otoh, and whether you like him or not, has been called into the Wallaby PONI squad at present and played a small role in tests last year. I would say that Simone is obviously rated above Stewart by those who matter.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hamish is one of the most over-hyped players in Super Rugby. Not saying he isn't Super quality. but he's shown me, and I guess most fans of other teams, nothing to support his consideration for a Wallaby spot. Simone, otoh, and whether you like him or not, has been called into the Wallaby PONI squad at present and played a small role in tests last year. I would say that Simone is obviously rated above Stewart by those who matter.
Who is hyping him? Reds fans? And when you mean hype - do you mean talking him up?

Do you mean like calling Simone the best attacking player in Super Rugby? Is that hype? Or over hype?

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Who is hyping him? Reds fans? And when you mean hype - do you mean talking him up?

Do you mean like calling Simone the best attacking player in Super Rugby? Is that hype? Or over hype?

If you could clone the two of them you'd actually end up with a first class centre- Simone for his skillset game and Stewart for his defence and general toughness.