• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I’ve bashed Petaia a bit this year but it’s good to see him finally have a decent game. He looked good on the wing and the biggest positive was his work in the air, ball security much improved.

With that in mind it might be time to temper some expectations on the kid and hope that he turns out to be a very good winger. It was telling that when Paisami was ruled out and they moved Flook into 13 that Thorn may be of a similar mindset.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Watch the press conference. Thorn was specifically asked about leaving Petaia in one position.

He answered by noting that Petaia was great at 13, on the wing and would be great at 15 if he was played there.

Edit: as far as I have heard, the explanation is simply that they have big wraps on Flook, but he’s seen as an out and out 13.

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
Watch the press conference. Thorn was specifically asked about leaving Petaia in one position.

He answered by noting that Petaia was great at 13, on the wing and would be great at 15 if he was played there.

Edit: as far as I have heard, the explanation is simply that they have big wraps on Flook, but he’s seen as an out and out 13.

Wasn't Flook the captain of that under 20's side outside of Harrison and Lolesio?

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Wasn't Flook the captain of that under 20's side outside of Harrison and Lolesio?
No , he captained the U18s in 2019 over in NZ to an undefeated tour.

He will be in the mix with the U20’s this year if the proposed comp in July against NZ and Fiji gets off the ground .

EDIT : sorry slow typer , beat me to it TSR

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So a bye this week is awkwardly timed. I guess it's good to have a break but with a bye in the first week of the finals, it will be a challenge for the coaching crew to get the appropriate build up.

What it means is that we have to go in full strength v the Force otherwise it's too long a break until the next game (the final) for any rested player. We should be back to full strength too right? Paisami could have played Saturday night so will be right next week. Vunivalu should be good to go then too.

We might sneak some game time at club level for the likes of Uru, Wright, Zonggorr, Thomas, Flook, Daugunu, Asiata perhaps? Depending on how Wallaby camp goes for a bunch of them.

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
Week of 19 April with Member getting first access.

I'm trying to cast my mind back 10 years but I'm sure our members tickets included the finals back then. I know I sat in the same seats for the final as I had sat in all season. I was assuming that it would be the case this year and I'm pretty disappointed if it isn't.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'm trying to cast my mind back 10 years but I'm sure our members tickets included the finals back then. I know I sat in the same seats for the final as I had sat in all season. I was assuming that it would be the case this year and I'm pretty disappointed if it isn't.

I've had both Reds and Bronco's memberships over my time and they never used to include finals I'm fairly certain. It was always priority to purchase tickets in your current seats.

Suncorp memberships were inclusive of any finals games, do they still sell those? I remember about 6-7 years ago when the Reds, Broncos, Roar and QLD SOO were travelling well, they were the hottest ticket in town.

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
I've had both Reds and Bronco's memberships over my time and they never used to include finals I'm fairly certain. It was always priority to purchase tickets in your current seats.

Suncorp memberships were inclusive of any finals games, do they still sell those? I remember about 6-7 years ago when the Reds, Broncos, Roar and QLD SOO were travelling well, they were the hottest ticket in town.

As I said, it was 2011 so I can't really remember. We must have just bought our tickets for the same seats and hopefully we'll get the option for our seats this time.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
So a bye this week is awkwardly timed. I guess it's good to have a break but with a bye in the first week of the finals, it will be a challenge for the coaching crew to get the appropriate build up.

I know from a preparation point of view, its less than ideal. But, from a mental perspective I think it's perfect timing. The entire squad (coaches included) will be mentally drained from Saturday night and you could see in ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and Taniela's eyes how much winning on the weekend meant to them.

Backing up from such an emotionally driven game is tough and we saw last time we played the Brumbies, the following weekend they just weren't there. So play a full strength side against the Force (perhaps give Taniela a start from the bench) to blow out any cobwebs and use the second bye week to deal with any niggles.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
There was definitely a lot of emotion shown by the players after the win on Saturday, great to see it means so much to them.

It’s reciprocated by the fans with a season high crowd and as Thorn mentioned after the game , how many of them stuck around after the game had ended. Think Thorn used the word “ connection “ between players and fans , and you couldn’t wipe the smile off his face .

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I think you've gotta pick your full strength 23. But I'd be getting some of the guys who have done big minutes like Tupou onto the bench and I'd be making sure whoever my 10 of the future is on the bench to give JOC (James O'Connor) some well deserved rest (maybe Stewart?). I'd be touch and go on Pisami, if he's 100% then I'd be starting him but getting him off when I can. Obviously Wright to start, but perhaps at 7 to get McReight onto the bench. And Uru starting at 8 with Willo spelling him (or maybe LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) with Uru moving up into the row).

The Force will be hunting a BP win to stay in the hunt with the Rebels. So perhaps shock and awe are in order with Daugunu and Vuni to start and Jordie at 15?

Something like:
Zander, BPA, Asiata (I heard he plays all 3 front row positions, is that true?)
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Ryan (not sure what's happened with Blyth?)
ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Uru, Wright

Sorovi, O'Connor
Stewart, Flook
Daugunu, Petaia, Vuni

with the bench:
Mafi, Fotuaika, Tupou
Willson, McReight (Uru/ASY (Angus Scott-Young) pushing up into the row)
Thomis, Hegarty, Paisami