• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
If it was that easy to sign a marquee flyhalf wouldn't a side have already done it? Who's this international of the same vintage going to be?

Where did I say it was easy to find one? I doubt the Reds have even looked into it to be honest and assume JOC (James O'Connor) will stick around.

But for discussions sake as there is nothing else to talk about, I think the following blokes would be suited to the job, if JOC (James O'Connor) were to leave the Reds still have plenty of cattle to get the job done they just need someone to steer the ship

Foley
Aaron Cruden
Lionel Cronje

All accomplished fly halves in their early 30s playing overseas. Obviously left Cooper off that list as he’s in the Thorn bad books.

This is all hypothetical obviously - I don’t get why people on discussion forums spark up so easily on topics which are far from even happening.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeh I mean there is really no scenario where the Reds are better off without him tbh, even beyond 2021. His form isn't exactly dropping off the face of a cliff (yet), I daresay he would still be handy in 2022 if he were to stick around.

Everyone seems very quick to dismiss him due to age, but its 2020, sports science has come a long way. Yes he's had some injuries the last few months but with the proper rehab plans and all this cryogenic, muscle therapy blah blah recovery stuff they do, I imagine he is in pretty good nick.

He nearly steered us to a Premiership this year and at times had limited support from his other backs. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with Vunivalu and Petaia with him for hopefully a full season. His greatest strength in the last 12 months has been not overplaying his hand. And the more weapons he has out wide, the better that looks.

You need experience in the backline with a young and less experienced centre pairing. Don’t want to lose JOC (James O'Connor) at this stage and the ideal is he is at the Reds for at least the next 2 seasons whilst develop the next young 10 as his long term replacement.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Where did I say it was easy to find one? I doubt the Reds have even looked into it to be honest and assume JOC (James O'Connor) will stick around.

But for discussions sake as there is nothing else to talk about, I think the following blokes would be suited to the job, if JOC (James O'Connor) were to leave the Reds still have plenty of cattle to get the job done they just need someone to steer the ship

Foley
Aaron Cruden
Lionel Cronje

All accomplished fly halves in their early 30s playing overseas. Obviously left Cooper off that list as he’s in the Thorn bad books.

This is all hypothetical obviously - I don’t get why people on discussion forums spark up so easily on topics which are far from even happening.
Not sparking up, you mentioned the Reds would chase an international flyhalf, I’m interested in who is on your radar. I would very much enjoy watching some QLD supporters having to get behind Foley.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
What a wanker, forced his way out of Aus rugby. Inconsistently battled his way through European rugby to eventually come back home and start to really show some signs of consistency. Just as this happens, decides he wants to chase the dollar and head back over?
At least he has over 60 caps so the Giteau Law does apply.

Maybe he sat down and looked at his finances and realised that he may need a job in the next 40 years if he did not take the cash.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
So, does this mean Brad Thorn has finally had it with JO'C and the rumours about JO'C's antics are true?

I've been very supportive of Thorn and how he's shaped the team.

But if he's taking issue with JOC (James O'Connor) (which I haven't heard to be true until your post) surely you suck it up and finish his contract, rather than give him the arse. Cutting Quade out is one thing, cutting the current first choice Wallaby flyhalf is very different.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

But if he's taking issue with JOC (James O'Connor) (which I haven't heard to be true until your post) surely you suck it up and finish his contract, rather than give him the arse. Cutting Quade out is one thing, cutting the current first choice Wallaby flyhalf is very different.

Sorry, should clarify there's no rumour about JO'C and Thorn not getting along (that I'm aware of). Just JO'C has been linked to two foreign clubs in recent days indicating he wants out, there are rumours about his divisive behaviour and Thorn is known cut people easily for personality issues. I'm just connecting some dots, perhaps unfairly.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
There is the consideration that Rennie has spoken to JOC (James O'Connor) and said, champ, you're on the wrong side of 30 for me to seriously consider you in my RWC 2023 plans.

That would mean no RA top-up for JOC (James O'Connor) after his 2021 Reds contract. So getting the feelers out now for teams interested in his services would make sense as he would make more money signing outside of Australia. If his agent is talking to other clubs now, it would make sense there are rumours flying in the market about his playing future.

I expect him to be suiting up for the Reds in 2021.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

This bigger the profile of the player being cut, the more impact it has on the rest of the players.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Are we jumping the gun by assuming this is Thorn cutting JOC (James O'Connor)?
JOC (James O'Connor) has been isolated in the Wallabies bubble the last two months, hasn’t had anything to do with JOC (James O'Connor). Only 2 weeks ago Cordingley spoke of intent to extend JOCs time at the Reds, I’m sure that wasn’t made without liaising with Thorn.

At this point in time i think it would be a safer bet to assume JOCs time in the Wallabies camp is what has triggered his thoughts on his playing future.

rugbyfan90

Chris McKivat (8)
RugbyPass article for reference:

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/repo...-to-leave-australia-for-super-rugby-aotearoa/

A report from the New Zealand Herald suggests O’Connor has sounded out the Chiefs as a potential playing destination in 2021.
The Herald reports O’Connor, who was Australia’s starting first-five in his three test appearances this year, is eager to play in “the world’s toughest domestic competition” and “regularly test himself against the best”.
The 55-test Wallaby reportedly met with Rennie on Friday to discuss a potential release from his contract with the Reds to play in New Zealand next year.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Fucking hate the player drain to all these countries who don't develop their own players like [checks notes] ... New Zealand?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I'd be impressed if NZR allowed it. As we've learned in Aus it's not ideal having 1/5 of your starting flyhalves be ineligible.

Wouldn't be surprised if he did go he'd just end up on the bench for Kaleb Trask.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
RugbyPass article for reference:

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/repo...-to-leave-australia-for-super-rugby-aotearoa/

A report from the New Zealand Herald suggests O’Connor has sounded out the Chiefs as a potential playing destination in 2021.
The Herald reports O’Connor, who was Australia’s starting first-five in his three test appearances this year, is eager to play in “the world’s toughest domestic competition” and “regularly test himself against the best”.

This is all a misunderstanding, he's talking about Subbies rugby against the Goodna, Ipswich and Logan.