• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
I'd be impressed if NZR allowed it. As we've learned in Aus it's not ideal having 1/5 of your starting flyhalves be ineligible.

Wouldn't be surprised if he did go he'd just end up on the bench for Kaleb Trask.

Chiefs are a really odd choice for O'Conner considering they've 3 promising 10's coming through in
Rivez Reihana, Caleb Trask & Bryn Gatland.. they certainly aren't bad in that space, at all.

really he should have targeted the Hurricanes,
Garden-Bachop & Hickey are genuinely useless. The Canes need quality 10's more than anyone..

unless he's aiming to play in the midfield at the Chiefs?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Could be just this month Koroibete equivalent rumor that turns into nothing.

For the record I don’t mind Aus talent playing in NZ. They are still visible for the public and play in a great high performance structure on saying that I’d rather talent stay if it can be arranged.

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
maybe it was Rennie who gave him that idea? JOC (James O'Connor) can still play for oz under the giteau rule

rennie figured JOC (James O'Connor) was not going to develop as a 10 in oz playing against average, poor 10s in super rugby AU .. might as well play in a competition where he will get better

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
maybe it was Rennie who gave him that idea? JOC (James O'Connor) can still play for oz under the giteau rule

rennie figured JOC (James O'Connor) was not going to develop as a 10 in oz playing against average, poor 10s in super rugby AU .. might as well play in a competition where he will get better

Sure, lets just ship all the players over to new zealand then, no real point in even having a domestic tournament if this is the case

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I think you’ll find this chat about JOC (James O'Connor) leaving the Reds in 2021 is all rumour. His manager would have kept James’ options open prior to signing for a further 3 years. Old news just coming to fruition now. Journos love it.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)

You DH.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Is the Giteau rule still a thing? I know during COVID it was replaced by the 2 overseas players rule but there have been murmurs that this could become permanent.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
What 3 year deal? JOC (James O'Connor) was always signed until the end of 2021 and they’re looking to extend him another 2.
1 + 2 = 3
Many were sceptical when there was talk of JOC (James O'Connor) returning to the Reds and for good reason. At Nudgee he was called Teflon and it seems his ways haven’t changed. He has a knack of telling people what they want to hear and then throws a curveball. He’s never been about the jersey or the players, and it surprises me that the Reds would trust his word, particularly when his actions have always prevailed. I feel the most for Thorn if he pisses off at the end of 2021, because Thorn put a lot of trust into the kid. Thorn has proven that he can rebuild from nothing, and no doubt he’ll come through again.

EDIT. This media shit might be his manager’s antics to drive his contract value with the Reds.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)

Doubt it. The other 10s need to play against international class 10s to improve

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Personally think it paper talk, and I can't see the Reds let him go, I personally think he has been very very good for them this year. Whenever thing were going to shit he would be the one to hold the ball and take hits not shovelling out to his young backline.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
RugbyPass article for reference:

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/repo...-to-leave-australia-for-super-rugby-aotearoa/

A report from the New Zealand Herald suggests O’Connor has sounded out the Chiefs as a potential playing destination in 2021.
Has sounded out is hardly negotiating etc, I wouldn't mind betting a lot of players 'sound out' other teams etc, just to see what they are worth. Wouldn't mind betting a hell of a lot are 'sounding out' Maoana Pasifika too, just to see what story is.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Time to change the title of this thread to:
"JOIN THE SWEEP TO PICK JOC (James O'Connor)'S FUTURE RUGBY CLUB"
If you also get the year right, you get to be a moderator on G&G Rugby:D

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Next year the Kiwi's will have the playmaking brilliance of Mo'unga and ....... ?? gracing SRao at 10.

Also, JOC (James O'Connor) will earn what, less than half if he leaves Aus?

Smells like bullshite to me.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
1 + 2 = 3
Many were sceptical when there was talk of JOC (James O'Connor) returning to the Reds and for good reason. At Nudgee he was called Teflon and it seems his ways haven’t changed. He has a knack of telling people what they want to hear and then throws a curveball. He’s never been about the jersey or the players, and it surprises me that the Reds would trust his word, particularly when his actions have always prevailed. I feel the most for Thorn if he pisses off at the end of 2021, because Thorn put a lot of trust into the kid. Thorn has proven that he can rebuild from nothing, and no doubt he’ll come through again.

EDIT. This media shit might be his manager’s antics to drive his contract value with the Reds.

I'm confused by your comments about a 3 year deal

JOC (James O'Connor) was signed for to the Reds for 2020-2021, and according to reports the Reds at least want to extend him until 2023. This latest rumour comes at a time when he is apparently renegotiating.