• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Completed (as far as he is concerned) Reds challenge and he's ready to move on. The real challenge would be to stay in Qld and bring the next guy through.
Do you really think JOC (James O'Connor) is interested in bringing the next flyhalf through???? Not likely. Thorn needs to find an established player who is thinking of winding down in a couple of years. Who’s O/S worth looking at? Force have grabbed McIntyre.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Still think JOC (James O'Connor) staying at Reds is best for both teams. I think he brings an awful lot to the Reds experience wise, and would prefer to see Chiefs bring through one of their 10s with a reasonably experienced midfield that maybe don't need 'nursing' (and I mean that in a good way) quite as much as Reds youngsters.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Still think JOC (James O'Connor) staying at Reds is best for both teams. I think he brings an awful lot to the Reds experience wise, and would prefer to see Chiefs bring through one of their 10s with a reasonably experienced midfield that maybe don't need 'nursing' (and I mean that in a good way) quite as much as Reds youngsters.
Let’s see what Thorn thinks about JOC (James O'Connor)’s shenanigans. The Reds 10 jersey is jinxed. Let’s just play two inside centres.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Let’s see what Thorn thinks about JOC (James O'Connor)’s shenanigans. The Reds 10 jersey is jinxed. Let’s just play two inside centres.

I still reckon Rennie said to JOC (James O'Connor), not RA top up in 2022 mate. Hence all this movement chat.

He’s on contract, in Red for 2021. I’m sure he will be fine. The comp is ours to win.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Panasonic’s version of the press releases, doesn’t offer much more.

OSAKA, Japan - Panasonic Corporation today announced that its rugby club, Panasonic Wild Knights, has signed a business alliance agreement with the Queensland Reds, a powerful rugby club with a long history in Australia, for the purpose of strengthening and developing club management, business operation as well as players and staff of the both clubs.

As announced earlier this year, the Panasonic Wild Knights will move its home base from Ota City, Gunma Prefecture, to Kumagaya City, Saitama Prefecture, in August 2021. Under this business alliance agreement, the clubs aim to not only strengthen and develop themselves, but also build a strong relationship with the regional governments of their respective homes, Saitama Prefecture and the State of Queensland, which have long been in a sister state relationship. The two clubs will cooperate with them in their regional and youth development programs through rugby and obtain their support and cooperation in the new business alliance.

Under the business alliance agreement, both teams will build a relationship that contributes to mutual development by enabling the players and staff to interact each other in order to promote their growth and actively exchanging ideas about the club and team management. The Panasonic Wild Knights is planning to host an international friendly match in December 2021 by welcoming the Queensland Reds to the Kumagaya Rugby Stadium.

As soon as the COVID-19 situation settles down, the two clubs, together with their host states, plan to set up an occasion to report on their cooperative relationship building.

Commenting on the new business alliance, Hitoshi Iijima, General Manager of the Panasonic Wild Knights, said: “It is an honor and privilege that we have reached an agreement with the Queensland Reds of Australia, the country renowned for its rugby prowess. This alliance agreement intends to not only develop the two clubs but also contribute to the development of our home communities. In order to promote new initiatives that have never been seen before, we would like to actively cooperate with Saitama Prefecture and the State of Queensland and contribute to society and local communities through rugby.”

Robbie Deans, Head Coach of the Panasonic Wild Knights, said: “This is an exciting initiative that has genuine potential to be mutually beneficial for all parties involved. I personally have been lucky enough to have dealt with all the entities through various roles over time. There exists a lot of like-minded people who have a strong sense of history, community and legacy. We will not only enjoy activating these relationships but reflect on this as a significant moment in time.”

Sam Cordingley, General Manager of the Queensland Reds, said: “We are honored to align with the Panasonic Wild Knights. Our organizations have a strong connection through our history and our people. We look forward to continuing to explore ways to extend our relationship with our respective government's support.”

Brad Thorn, Head Coach of the Queensland Reds, said: “It's exciting to partner with a powerhouse club like Panasonic Wild Knights. There's a lot of good people and good things happening at Panasonic. We share similar values and cultures focused on care and connection. This is a historic partnership and we're looking forward to the opportunities and relationships created between the two clubs moving forward.”

https://news.panasonic.com/global/press/data/2020/12/en201221-7/en201221-7.html

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Is this is a bit of the old, if you can't beat them, join them?

Possible benefit here being the Reds becoming facilitators of Japanese contracts through Panasonic, so players at the Reds can negotiate directly with the two clubs, rather than having a manager who's constantly looking to get them the highest pay day.

More players signing hybrid contacts for longer periods maybe and being paid accordingly, 2 years at the Reds, a season in Japan, half season with the Reds etc etc, versus blokes currently signing one or two year deals with the hope of getting big overseas contract at the end of it.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
This sounds very similar to the Rebels deal with Kintetsu. Lots of players have come and gone between the two with Kintetsu also providing some financial support as a major sponsor for the club. If it’s similar will be positive all round.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Is this is a bit of the old, if you can't beat them, join them?

Possible benefit here being the Reds becoming facilitators of Japanese contracts through Panasonic, so players at the Reds can negotiate directly with the two clubs, rather than having a manager who's constantly looking to get them the highest pay day.

More players signing hybrid contacts for longer periods maybe and being paid accordingly, 2 years at the Reds, a season in Japan, half season with the Reds etc etc, versus blokes currently signing one or two year deals with the hope of getting big overseas contract at the end of it.
I assume that would be part of it at least. I wonder if the Reds will be pushing for a foreign marquee allowance to allow them to include a foreign player or two on their roster.

I wonder if their is even some concession here that they need to be able to deal with Piccone? From everything I’ve read that seems unlikely and I would assume they’d be more likely looking at it as a way to prevent another Piccone type situation arising - but I can see how this arrangement might act as something of a circuit breaker.