• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I'm confused by your comments about a 3 year deal

JOC (James O'Connor) was signed for to the Reds for 2020-2021, and according to reports the Reds at least want to extend him until 2023. This latest rumour comes at a time when he is apparently renegotiating.
All I can say is that I hope he stays on until 2023. We need consistency in the flyhalf position, with the development players coming through without being rushed. We do have Stewart and Hegarty as a back up plan.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
The rumor mill might argue "where there's smoke there's fire", but I think a more appropriate adage here might be "where there's smoke there's hippies".
I think it’s more a case of leaking information to the media to drive contract value. You don’t hear of the professional agents doing this, it’s usually a case of the deals done then it hits the media.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Send this to your partners, tell them they can now start planning around your prior engagements
131B6FD6-5E40-4F92-8243-A8413231DAC6.jpeg

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
I think it’s more a case of leaking information to the media to drive contract value. You don’t hear of the professional agents doing this, it’s usually a case of the deals done then it hits the media.

Pfff.

Agents are what they are but here in Australia they are babes in the woods compared to their species around the globe. Media usage and fan base pressure is the most obvious play in the book.

It's sort of amusing we expect some "Sir Knight" type of commercial morality from these guys that usually equates to fan base homerism (in desire for retention of players ) or operational control of cost.

When you see how underdeveloped agency representation is in Australian Sport relative to say US Sports or European Sports - Rugby feels like it is probably down a few additional notches off the benchmark of norm . Maybe that is driven by the legacy issues, 25 years on, of what was once an amateur game here and run by a small and select boys club - and god knows RA have taken their lumps over the last 20 years.

So JOC (James O'Connor)'s agent wound up a media rumor mill in an attempt to drive some value.........

images

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
How's the Academy set up looking?

Basically got packed up this year during COVID bar the development players and the coaches have moved on.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Courier Mail reports Floyd Aubrey will join Reds academy in 2021 after turning down NRL clubs. He is a fullback at Ashgrove, one of the AIC’s most exciting players in recent years.

Good pickup in a position where the Reds could build some depth with Mac Grealy coming through as well - if that is Mac's preferred position.

From what I've seen of Floyd he looks a genuine fullback, balanced running game, good shoe and hopefully a frame that can chuck a few kgs on.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Good pickup in a position where the Reds could build some depth with Mac Grealy coming through as well - if that is Mac's preferred position.

From what I've seen of Floyd he looks a genuine fullback, balanced running game, good shoe and hopefully a frame that can chuck a few kgs on.

They’ve signed Taj Anan as well, he played fullback this year but he is more likely to play fly-half or centre moving forward.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Liked the words in The Courier Mail around Floyd from his mum.

Schoolboy rugby sensation Floyd Aubrey has rejected a mountain of interest from NRL clubs to stay with the Queensland Reds academy in season 2021.
From Steve Renouf country in the South Burnett region, the 17-year-old is a thrilling outside back talent with blinding acceleration and vision who has been courted by NRL clubs since the age of 15.
But the Marist College Ashgrove old boy will stay loyal and local - playing with the Ashgrove-based GPS club where he will pursue a plumbing apprenticeship while training and playing in the Reds academy system.
“He had a lot of offers,’’ said his mother Yvonne.
“Because he is still only 17 we preferred the option of keeping him close to friends and transitioning him that way rather than packing him up and sending him to New South Wales and places like that.’’
Asked did league clubs go hard at securing him, Yvonne said: “They have been for a few years. We held them off.
“He is only very young and even though he can play both (league and union) really well, he needs to grow up and have all the people who have his back stay around him longer.
“This (the Reds and local club GPS) will be a good transition from boarding school.
“He can play footie and still have friends and a life beyond footie.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Yeah, I feel like the team culture the Reds are building will tend to have a lot of parents wanting their sons to play Reds rugby over going to an NRL Club. Obviously that's not going to be the fist and last of it, but that will be a big factor in what the parents want for their kids.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
There’s also a back row player from Marist that is a standout. His name escapes me. I think he was injured this year. He has been in the QLD team every year throughout his school years.

EDIT. Nick Baker