• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Blues, Round 11 2013, Attack of the Attack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
You Cheeky fuck, :eek::p:D I"ve had a few Cans tonight ( cyclopath )so there could be some classic's on the way.

Plus..I hate the Blues,Thieving,dirty Aucklander's. This game will be Penalised to buggery.
And With Attack I don't think Digby shouldn't play. By all accounts he is gone at the end of the Year. SO its time to play our players life after Digby. He Reminds me of Big Del, good Crash Ball Runner, but come to rugby Skills it's Very Ordinary for Super Rugby.
Half your luck - cans on a Wednesday night!
Enjoy. :)

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Only crack in the Reds IMO is possibily Horwill as captain.
Love the guy - is tough, uncompromising, passiionate, true Qlder etc etc but he does make some errors that he shouldn't
and I'm still pissed off he didn't take a couple of 'give me" penalty kicks when on offer. Score a try and you go from zero to hero - don't score it and you look like a mug.
Know it is his call but that call evidently conflicted with that of the coach.
a big part of captaincy is being able to talk WITH the referee like Mowen did last week or Ritchie Mc (or Sean Fitzpatrick) which can be subtlely persuavive
I was annoyed at not taking the shots at goal, but for the Reds it does have some benefit, this is what the live crowd wants to see. The Reds have a reputaion for going for tries and this is why people pay money to go to games.
It is a risk, but risky play has been successful for the Reds

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Interesting to see Daley and Fainga'a back into the front row. Blues scrum is not the challenge the Brumbies was so a good chance to rest Hanson and Holmes. Might be an idea to give Slipper a break and play Holmes at 3 if things are going well. Rocket keeping Shipperley on the bench again.

Will be very disappointed if they lose this one.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Typical Reds fan. Even when your team is playing a bunch of Kiwis, you can't help having a go at the Waratahs. That chip must be really weighing down your shoulder.

:D

I would get into fights with Waratahs fans at games over this

if they ever turned up ;)

Reactions: BDA

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Looks like a pretty 'lightweight' reds team. I think we are very vulnerable in this game. Hopefully the lads can turn it on.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Looking back at the stats from the Brumbies game one thing which helped us enormously was largely taking their back three out of the game both by having lots of possession in the opposition half but also by some pretty nifty backfield defending and cover.

Tomane only had 10m off of 1 run, Speight had 24m off 5 runs and Mogg had 69m over 5 runs. For comparison Digby had 140m over 13 runs and Rob went 93m off 6 runs while Jono went 22m from 2 runs.

Would probably be wise to try and execute something similar to this against the Blues' back three!

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Looks like a pretty 'lightweight' reds team. I think we are very vulnerable in this game. Hopefully the lads can turn it on.

Two changes, neigh, bench swaps, make this team lightweight & vulnerable? o_O Both players coming in have been there & done the job before, I'm sure they're up to doing it again....

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Also wouldn't hurt starting with the extra mobility that those 2 offer if the Blues do play an expansive game. Woul love tonights game to be a replay of 2011's, That highlight reel is champagne.... Here's hoping!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I don't see much of a weakness with the changes. It weakens the scrum but Daley is improving in this area. If I heard correctly in the podslam this week Slipper suggested that he might get a rest at some stage so Holmes will come on a THP so the change makes sense in that regard.
Saia and Hanson offer slightly different things but both are Super quality so you can't complain too much.
Blues are an interesting team this year. They have played some really good rugby but then have games, like the Bulls, where they just didn't front. The Reds had the same issue against the Force.
Looking forward to this one. expecting a few tries and some exciting rugby. Think the Reds may take a few kicks at goal but the crowd will go wild if they don't.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Only crack in the Reds IMO is possibily Horwill as captain.
Love the guy - is tough, uncompromising, passiionate, true Qlder etc etc but he does make some errors that he shouldn't
and I'm still pissed off he didn't take a couple of 'give me" penalty kicks when on offer. Score a try and you go from zero to hero - don't score it and you look like a mug.
Know it is his call but that call evidently conflicted with that of the coach.
a big part of captaincy is being able to talk WITH the referee like Mowen did last week or Ritchie Mc (or Sean Fitzpatrick) which can be subtlely persuavive
The Reds have been in attacking sense been one of the best. But their up and down performances rely on certain key aspects.
First off all they needed Genia and Cooper to have some continuity playing together. Checked
Secondly James Horwill provides the grunt and rough charisma of who is the leader of a forward’s unit who is much more important than the ones "making the headlines". Checked
Thirdly the Reds rely on their forwards heavily. They rely on the tight five which is their heavy ball carriers to break the advantage line then their back three make sure every time that they recycle very quickly where they can give it to the creative players who are freed up to punch the holes.
Fourth Digby is the best in the competition at beating defenders and getting line breaks and he is a important cog in the Reds machine. If one of them is missing the Reds do not perform up to potential. And 2011 wasn't fluke they are really that good, And when they have a bit of luck and have all that factors running again with continuity they will be my favorites. I really love the way they play when they got it all together.

The reason they are struggling a bit in the first part is mainly due to not winning the rucks as much as they should and they do not have that much clean breaks. Which means the back 3 and Digby have not come to the party yet. I really hope they do but I do not know what exactly is going on with the off field talk surrounding Digby and his contract and I wonder how that will effect the him.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Looking forward to this game tonight, would have to think Reds are looking pretty good to take it out. I going in, and if anyone remembers me putting on this board a few weeks ago saying I would not go back to Suncorp while they keep using that tosser screaming into mike:rolleyes: ...well as I explained to my beloved wife who mentioned this last week, what the hell can I do, I love the game of rugby, and I will just have to put fingers in ears like, I did at last weeks Reds/Brumbies game, even if my beloved Canes aren't playing.;)

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Interesting to see Daley and Fainga'a back into the front row. Blues scrum is not the challenge the Brumbies was so a good chance to rest Hanson and Holmes. Might be an idea to give Slipper a break and play Holmes at 3 if things are going well. Rocket keeping Shipperley on the bench again.

Will be very disappointed if they lose this one.

Think it is a good idea to start a rotation of the big fellas. Slipper generally seems to play 80 each week whilst Holmes seems to get a break around to 60. Maybe this week Slipper will get the break at 60 ???? Think saia will strengthen the scrum a little.
Great the see Digby manning up for the boys
Reds by 5

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I'm calling it for the Blues by 7. Need a big week from the forwards in particular and some big physicality from the backs in both defence and offence.

Blues will need to be very strong but really smart to win this one......if they want to be in the mix come play-offs, they need to make this game a good one.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
My biggest worry with this game is that the boys run out of steam in the final 20 minutes as a result of the short turn around and physical impact of last week's game. As long as that doesn't happen I see us winning this game. I'm not sold on the Blues. They possibly have the best up-and-coming talent roster in the competition but the Reds' are playing finals football at the moment. McKenzie will have identified the weaknesses in the Blues' game and whatever that weakness is the Reds should have the tools to exploit it.

The Reds need to make their tackles tonight or the Blues will find to try line easily.

Caaaaarn Reds!

T

tranquility

Saia and Daley coming back in, is very good squad rotation.

Should be a very tight match.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I was worried this morning when I heard the forecast for showers this evening as a wet ball could've killed what would potentially be a cracker of a game!

Much happier now looking out my window at work to see a stellar arvo. Looks dry and temp should be in the high teens. Perfect! WE ARE RED!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.