• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Brumbies - Super Rugby Round 7 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Newter

Why don't the Brumbies just play the backrow of
6- Mowen
7- Hooper
8- Vaea

It'd make more sense, it's not like Kimlin is needed just for line outs, Mowen is one of the best jumpers going around, plus the two locks.

Never weaken one position to strengthen another. Mowen is their best 8 and the best in Australia.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Never weaken one position to strengthen another. Mowen is their best 8 and the best in Australia.
He has played alot at 6 though, or alternatively put Vaea at 6.

I'm just interested to see how the battle of the flankers plays out. With Kimlin and Vaea blast the Reds flankers off the ball, or will Gilly and Beau have the edge for being quicker and better on the ball.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm not going to make a prediction here, because who knows what will happen... particularly in this unpredictable conference...

Sure, the Reds are down, but they were supposed to also run riot over the Brumbies at Suncorp last year when the roles were reversed...

There's a real danger for the Brumbies with the Reds picking 2 fetchers simply because they're not starting with any...

On the plus, if things aren't going their way at least Hooper is on the bench... I think that works better than having Hooper come off in a tight match...

The Brumbies might have the advantage in the backline, but it'll be of no use if the forwards can't retain possession or recycle the ball in the manner they have been of late.

Anyways, I'm hoping Bernie's words ring true and the Brumbies' back show a bit more attacking flair this week.

I wasn't too impressed with the amount of Waratah like kicking that went on in the first half last week, but with Lilo now at flyhalf I expect them to run it more as they did against the Highlanders.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I like this kid already... Some of those pills had that (Brumbies flyhalf) loop about them.... Looks to be a good organiser too. Not to mention that hoof of his.

He looks to be a much better option than Dallan, ha ha.

Does look very handy doesn't he, but we have to remember this is schoolboy footy footage. Having said that though it looks like a bloody high standard and a very good team that he played for.

I wish people would go easy on Murphy. Young bloke trying to break through, gets his break and has to try and control team'play while his forwards are going backwards. Cant have been easy at all.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I wish people would go easy on Murphy. Young bloke trying to break through, gets his break and has to try and control team'play while his forwards are going backwards. Cant have been easy at all.

Easy? I doubt Mark Ella would have looked much better behind a beaten pack and a now very slow halfback. Every card was stacked against him. He'll be hurting big-time but he just needs to go back to grade, regroup and play good football. He'll get another chance. We aren't so blessed with talented young tens around the country (unlike our NZ cousins). And Sopoanga, Bleyendaal and Cruden have turned in some shockers on their way up too.

Reido

Sydney Middleton (9)
Can't understand the horror that some have raised about him not being in the run on side.
It's because the blue coloured glass wearers think he is 2nd to Pocock. That's a joke in my opinion. If that's our #2, we truly are screwed. He disappeared last week and that was a wonderful try he let through for his MOM performance.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Does look very handy doesn't he, but we have to remember this is schoolboy footy footage. Having said that though it looks like a bloody high standard and a very good team that he played for.

In a professional sporting environment, when you get your chance you'll either sink or swim. Cooper at the start had some horrendous games, however it was obvious there was something special there waiting to break out and was worth persisting with, that and he really was young, just 18. Murphy on the other hand has showed nothing of promise in his two shockers and isn't really all that young at 25, I think he had his chance & has blown it.
Of course some of this could just be my anti Brothers bias shining through.....

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Agree Penguin, and yes I do also have a strong anti-Brothers bias, but he was shithouse, and did not show any promise whatsoever, in any aspect of his game. Matt Brandon (Easts) or James Ambrosini (Uni) would of been better options.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Tough luck for Murphy, not an ideal time to get thrown in. Watching him, I thought him to be a confidence player rather than a guy who had a solid B game to fall back on when the A game was not coming off ie kick corners and stay down to opposition end. Didn't help him that the forwards were getting belted as well.

I just want to see the Reds play smart and play down the Brumbies end. Too much fighting out of our own half since Lucas got broken. Too much wasted energy.

W

What2040

Maybe just maybe a little criticism should be levelled at the captain - particularly when he has a forward pack laced with Wallabies - lead from the front, be inspirational, and all that good stuff. Certainly there has been some finger pointing at Genia, Link but haven't seen any directed at Horwill.

Reds to put it together tonight - forwards to dominate, Lane to take control of the backs, Daley to take kicks (haha) - Reds by 8

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Quite fitting that the Reds quest for a turnaround is being played on the Easter weekend. This is a massive game and I am sure it will be played with a lot of intensity. Plenty has been said about the need for the Reds forwards to step up, but just as equally, Genia has to show some leadership and form, stop worrying about what the other team is and isn't doing, and put his stamp on the game. His duel with White will be interesting. Agree with What 2040, Horwill too has to lead from the front, provide inspiration and carry the pack with him.

This is a good young Brumbies side playing with plenty of confidence, but they do still have a lot of inexperience in their side and the Reds need to apply a lot of aerial and defensive pressure on players like Mogg and Tomane.

Time to step up Reds...Go you good things!!!

T

tranquility

Barring Hooper and Fardy, the Brumbies bench is very light on.

I wish the bookies were being a little more reasonable, and even has the same optimism as Brumbies supporters because 1.65 does not entice me at all for a flutter.

Status
Not open for further replies.