• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v. Crusaders, May 29th, Suncorp - 2011R15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Considering every report on QC (Quade Cooper)'s resigning spun it around to make it sound as if he is just biding his time to switch to league. I must say I was wrong regarding him leaving post RWC.

I would also add that his reasoning behind signing 1 year contracts is very refreshing and a very big motivational tool on a personal level for him. I see no reason to doubt the man and take him at his word, the League press turning the story around shits me no end. I suppose News being a major shareholder in the game has to be good for something.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
With 38000 tickets sold in a week

Shit me, that's a big number, and I don't even have my tickets yet!!

Goddamn, there is nothing better than being in a packed Suncorp Stadium to watch rugby. It's hard to believe the pinnacle of rugby league is happening this week as well.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
I know, I was expecting that there would be ~ 30000 max sold this week then everyone go into a frenzy when they realize origin is over and there is a big Reds game coming up. Nuh uh buddz! On Monday it said 28000 and on friday 38000, that's 10000 in five days = 2000 per day, 12000/2000 = 6 days, this game will sell out as of thursday evening next week.

Oh and worth a mention. Origin 1 hasn't sold out with a few sections still available even. Might get below 50k for the first time in well, ever at the renovated suncorp.

Nonetheless it will still go close. With the NRL double header on the Friday bound to draw a good crowd as well, It could get close to 2.5 (say 30k to the double header) sellouts in 1 week. That's very good for the health of our rectangular stadiums

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Glad i got in early for my tickets. After the Rebels win i got in and bought tickets to the remaining games i could get to. Even at that stage there were very few seats available in the western stand (my preferred area) and others for the Crusaders game. Probably got a lot to do with the number of members this year also.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Sport in Brisbane atm from someone who loves their sport is brilliant. I've been to the a-league grand final which was to be frank, fuckin epic, a few absolute first class Reds games, some big league games which are good too. And with it all on at suncorp, a world class facility with great transport ect, cheap tickets (I only paid 25 bucks to the a-league grand final and still had a view of the entire ground), why wouldn't you go? I can afford it off some pocket money and mowing, letting my part time money tick into the bank. So I'm sure those of you who have fulltime jobs can too. Question: How is sydney different from this?

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
Sport in Brisbane atm from someone who loves their sport is brilliant. I've been to the a-league grand final which was to be frank, fuckin epic, a few absolute first class Reds games, some big league games which are good too. And with it all on at suncorp, a world class facility with great transport ect, cheap tickets (I only paid 25 bucks to the a-league grand final and still had a view of the entire ground), why wouldn't you go? I can afford it off some pocket money and mowing, letting my part time money tick into the bank. So I'm sure those of you who have fulltime jobs can too. Question: How is sydney different from this?

Melbourne is still the sporting capital.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Brisbane could challenge Melbourne but we need at least a 70000 all seater rectangular to do that. Which aint gonna happen considering Suncorp's roof. When Melbourne consistantly get's > 30000 to every major code, then it can be the capital of Aus and The World, I don't think AUS has any sporting capital because as far as I'm concerned Melbourne doesn't have a good stadium for big soccer(football) and rugby games. They need at least a 50000 rectangular for this to happen, and given Australia has four codes for it to be the capital it needs at least 3/4 to all be fully servicable, the current one cuts it for Kangaroo's games but the Wob's aint gonna play any big matches there, nor the Socceroo's, they have to move them to docklands which is shite for rectangular, therefore Melbourne is not the Capital, neither is any other city, they are all good for different reasons. My question about sydney is that why is there so little people that go to all the games? SFS I have never seen get 40k for a club game (different for internationals), and homebush... It currently fills just once a year. Same as the MCG but the MCG consistantly gets 60,70,80, sometimes 90k. Homebush will never push above 30 - 35 for a standard club game. Why is that so given sydney's population

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
Brisbane could challenge Melbourne but we need at least a 70000 all seater rectangular to do that. Which aint gonna happen considering Suncorp's roof. When Melbourne consistantly get's > 30000 to every major code, then it can be the capital of Aus and The World, I don't think AUS has any sporting capital because as far as I'm concerned Melbourne doesn't have a good stadium for big soccer(football) and rugby games. They need at least a 50000 rectangular for this to happen, and given Australia has four codes for it to be the capital it needs at least 3/4 to all be fully servicable, the current one cuts it for Kangaroo's games but the Wob's aint gonna play any big matches there, nor the Socceroo's, they have to move them to docklands which is shite for rectangular, therefore Melbourne is not the Capital, neither is any other city, they are all good for different reasons. My question about sydney is that why is there so little people that go to all the games? SFS I have never seen get 40k for a club game (different for internationals), and homebush... It currently fills just once a year. Same as the MCG but the MCG consistantly gets 60,70,80, sometimes 90k. Homebush will never push above 30 - 35 for a standard club game. Why is that so given sydney's population

Fair call.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yes but there's about that many AFL clubs in sydney, and they get huge attendances? Different culture?

There's 1 AFL club. I assume you mean Melbourne? Which is a different issue. It's the only code down there. (yes, there's league + rugby...)

Tordah

Dave Cowper (27)
Reds should win comfortably (said that prior the Canes game, too, so here's hoping :)), Crusaders look very blunt the last few games

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Reds should win comfortably (said that prior the Canes game, too, so here's hoping :)), Crusaders look very blunt the last few games

Tordah, excuse me for agreeing, but, I think the exceptional intensity and brilliance of execution of the Cru's March-April period has dulled noticeably. Is the tragedy of their home region finally taking its toll, it would only be human if it did. The previous stunning V12 seems to downshifting to a V8, still Ferrari-class though.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Don't agree one bit tbh RedsHappy. Same intensity. The backs look much less dangerous which is to expected without Carter, Ellis/Kahn, SBW, Maitland, Dagg.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Melbourne is the sporting capital but they do have about 3 times brisbanes population.

Personally I think both cities are wonderful at supporting sports. And whilst Melbourne may deservedly still be Australia's sporting capital I think Brisbane is not far behind and does a fantsatic job getting juniors and school children playing sports. Having seen first hand how Primary school sports is organised in both cities, I'd argue that Brisbane arguably does a better job encouraging and facilitating junior sports and primary school sports, especially minority sports like swimming and Touch football. Whereas Melbourne does an excellent job supporting pro sports such as the AFL, Formula One and Australian Open tennis.

Status
Not open for further replies.