• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Crusaders

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
It just seems that Super Rugby has moved on from the Reds.
Not sure if it's the coach or players but the 2014 playing squad has only really changed by 3 players from their winning team of 2011 - Samo, Ioane and Higginbotham.
Which other Super rugby franchise has had such little turnover of players?
Have they been too loyal to players at the Reds?
Meanwhile, the other mob were pretty bloody good on Sunday.

This subject could be extensively argued over, but I am sure of one thing.

If and when the QRU don't bite the bullet this year on RG and instead reappoint him for 2015 (the recent QRU leaks to The Australian on the subject strongly support this possibility) the public rationale will be, perhaps put more tactfully than this, but this in essence:

'After the less than adequate S15 results this year, the QRU recognises that the player group that has served the cause of QLD rugby so admirably since 2010 and secured our State the 2011 S15 Title and Finals berths in 2012 and 2013, requires change, replenishment and an element of redirection. This is only natural after such a dedicated and successful period, for which the QRU is extremely fortunate and indeed highly grateful to all the players involved.

'But change is a natural consequence of success. Accordingly, the QRU pays a fond farewell to X,Y, Z at the end of the 2014 season as these fine players take up positions overseas and with other Australian franchises. The QRU is in the process of securing the services of a number of exciting and skilful new players for 2015 and will announce these recruitments shortly.

'There has been much speculation regarding the tenure of Richard Graham as Reds Head Coach. However, Richard has had to deal with an extensive challenge of a successful team now requiring transition and change to adapt to a new and even more challenging S15 competition in the years ahead. Accordingly, the board of the QRU continues to endorse Richard as Head Coach for 2015 and the board is further sure of Richard's ability to succeed in 2015 with the extensively changed roster of players we will shortly announce for the upcoming season. Richard's application, commitment and hard work in 2014 is appreciated by the QRU and we have every faith in the 2015 team redesign that Richard has recommended to the QRU in recent weeks.'

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
Sadly, I think this is frighteningly accurate to what is being considered given some of the statements from those responsible for RG's appointment.
Great stuff RedsHappy!

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
@Redshappy After looking more of a rabble than a rugby team the past few weeks I dread this press release.

Got to sit down and watch the match again yesterday, this time at a decent hour.

There seems to be at least a few players in the squad playing with a "well, the season's already over" mentality. Interestingly enough, some of these players are the same ones who have been playing at half capacity for the majority of the season :mad:

Can't imagine how some of the other players feel when they're screaming their head off trying to organize the defense and players around them are walking into position.

Reactions: gel

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
I was speaking to my mate Richo yesterday, when he called in to borrow my crowbar! He suggests that the Reds should play Mike Harris at 10 and Quade at 15. As a former five eight for both the Wallabies and the Kangaroos, his thoughts are worth considering.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Finally, Nemani Nadolo is a great example of the lack of proper player development and tactical usage in Australia. At the Tahs Nadolo was used in the manner of Lomu, feed it to him in traffic or in space and expect him to do what Lomu did. Too often he was tackled and turned over, because guess what, despite physiological similarities he is not Lomu. He has his own strengths and these were never developed and used properly in Oz to get the results now being seen at the Saders. Good luck to him.
I disagree.
I can't recall him playing with the Tahs,but I would be gobsmacked if they were giving him the ball in traffic.He had tits for hands,but if the ball stuck,then the defence was in a lot of trouble.
Since then he has spent years in Europe learning the game.
You are not comparing apples with apples,he was only just a kid when he left for Europe.
And he can catch now.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I don't recall him playing for the tahs at all, just some media Hype (Lote's cousin etc). I saw him play for Aus U20, and agree that his handling and positional play was poor, but he was damaging when he got the ball in space.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
This subject could be extensively argued over, but I am sure of one thing.

If and when the QRU don't bite the bullet this year on RG and instead reappoint him for 2015 (the recent QRU leaks to The Australian on the subject strongly support this possibility) the public rationale will be, perhaps put more tactfully than this, but this in essence:

'After the less than adequate S15 results this year, the QRU recognises that the player group that has served the cause of QLD rugby so admirably since 2010 and secured our State the 2011 S15 Title and Finals berths in 2012 and 2013, requires change, replenishment and an element of redirection. This is only natural after such a dedicated and successful period, for which the QRU is extremely fortunate and indeed highly grateful to all the players involved.

'But change is a natural consequence of success. Accordingly, the QRU pays a fond farewell to X,Y, Z at the end of the 2014 season as these fine players take up positions overseas and with other Australian franchises. The QRU is in the process of securing the services of a number of exciting and skilful new players for 2015 and will announce these recruitments shortly.

'There has been much speculation regarding the tenure of Richard Graham as Reds Head Coach. However, Richard has had to deal with an extensive challenge of a successful team now requiring transition and change to adapt to a new and even more challenging S15 competition in the years ahead. Accordingly, the board of the QRU continues to endorse Richard as Head Coach for 2015 and the board is further sure of Richard's ability to succeed in 2015 with the extensively changed roster of players we will shortly announce for the upcoming season. Richard's application, commitment and hard work in 2014 is appreciated by the QRU and we have every faith in the 2015 team redesign that Richard has recommended to the QRU in recent weeks.'

Great post but which players do you gently let go
Genia
Horwill
Quade
Ant
Schatz
Quirk
Rocket
Shipperly
Turner
Aiden Toua - must be very close
Ben Lucas - must be close
Davies - must be close

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Finally, Nemani Nadolo is a great example of the lack of proper player development and tactical usage in Australia. At the Tahs Nadolo was used in the manner of Lomu, feed it to him in traffic or in space and expect him to do what Lomu did. Too often he was tackled and turned over, because guess what, despite physiological similarities he is not Lomu. He has his own strengths and these were never developed and used properly in Oz to get the results now being seen at the Saders. Good luck to him.

I think it's a good example that a player can improve greatly over the course of five years.

You are making it sound like he was terrible at the Tahs because of poor coaching but now excels at the Crusaders because of good coaching.

You're ignoring the five years separating the two events.

T

tranquility

I was speaking to my mate Richo yesterday, when he called in to borrow my crowbar! He suggests that the Reds should play Mike Harris at 10 and Quade at 15. As a former five eight for both the Wallabies and the Kangaroos, his thoughts are worth considering.

I know which Richo you are talking about! Loves his pushups.

He is also blinking mad!

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I think it's a good example that a player can improve greatly over the course of five years.

You are making it sound like he was terrible at the Tahs because of poor coaching but now excels at the Crusaders because of good coaching.

And unless my memory has totally turned to Swiss Cheese, he was never selected for the bench and he definitely did not ever start. The coaches felt he was just too green. Mind you, our coaches then were so risk averse they wouldn't have even selected Folau to start anywhere.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

No I am not. What I was pointing out is that his potential is being unlocked, and that he didn'timprove in the years he played at the Tahs and Randwick. Indeed at Randwick he was often outplayed by Club players who didn't have access to higher level coaching and mentoring.

He isn't isolated, in recent times AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s passing issues have been discussed at great length. This year we have actually seen him pass a bit and with some accuracy. That is after how many years at the top?

Go back a few years and look at Al Baxter, most capped prop in Australia but the binding and set up issues he displayed at the scrum were never addressed and ultimately led to the ending of his career.

There are plenty of other examples that can be quoted. Indeed in today's newpaper my position has been supported.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He definitely did not play for the Tahs at all, even in pre-season matches. I think he played 1 or 2 games for NSW A or Junior Tahs as they were known back then and unless you went to those games.. you wouldn't have seen him play.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
He definitely did not play for the Tahs at all, even in pre-season matches. I think he played 1 or 2 games for NSW A or Junior Tahs as they were known back then and unless you went to those games.. you wouldn't have seen him play.

Yeah he definitely did. I saw him play for nsw v qld in a pre-season trial at Lismore.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

Did not start in Super games for NSW.

Played Trial matches in 2010.

Played for Randwick 2008-2009
Played for Manly 2010

gone

Ted Fahey (11)
Had the reputation of a being a very lazy trainer at the Tahs. Seems like he grew up a bit while he was overseas.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

I remember seeing him play in a trial at Viking Park against the Brumbies. He actually did a couple of good things in that game but I was not surprised that the Tahs never used him that year.

I wrote in the forum that he was frustrating because he had everything going for him but he didn't seem to be able to concentrate, especially in his ball handling and general diligence around the field.

It is easy to re-invent history and say that he was one that the Waratahs and the other franchises let slip through their fingers, but when he went overseas few were saying what a mistake Oz rugby was making.

But many of us were regretting the potential not realised.

I wrote something about him in the Tuesday Top 5 here:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/the-tuesday-top-five-5/

Now he is playing Super Rugby at a high level—well done that man.

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
How good is Nemani Nadolo doing on the wing for the Crusdaders this year? I still vividly remember this guy running over the entire BBC team, including Will Genia, on his way to the match winner for Nudgee in 2005.

Status
Not open for further replies.