• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Crusaders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I will save my long term Reds issue comments for the Reds 2014 thread.

On this game:-
1st half Reds worked hard off the ball to support and provide options in attack. They had some success but lets not forget they struggled to get over the line when the Sader's didn't have a 9.

2nd half, did they forget to lace up their boots? It was chalk and cheese. Very few worked hard off the ball and given how many kicks they made surely somebody would have said CHASE!!!

I see the knives are out for Quade again, and I have to say that his position, even as incumbent is looking less and less tenable. Part of the problem is with him pushing everything when he has no support instead of dropping back and becoming conservative. The bigger part of the problem is the fact that the Reds on far too many occasions just are not working hard to give him those options and support. Look at how many backs slow job back when the Saders kicked over them. The Reds had two or three back on most occasions but nobody moved back at pace to support any potential run back leaving the kick as the only option because the Crusaders actually chased their kicks in numbers.

On the effort of the first forty I thought the Reds may actually be in with a chance, but then the dreaded defensive issues I have harped on about all year came back with a vengeance (and were there in the first half).

Finally, Nemani Nadolo is a great example of the lack of proper player development and tactical usage in Australia. At the Tahs Nadolo was used in the manner of Lomu, feed it to him in traffic or in space and expect him to do what Lomu did. Too often he was tackled and turned over, because guess what, despite physiological similarities he is not Lomu. He has his own strengths and these were never developed and used properly in Oz to get the results now being seen at the Saders. Good luck to him.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Just got back from the game, and still a bit stunned how poor Reds were in second half. It was almost as if they were starting to hurt,and so didn't chase or hit anything quite as hard. I know Quade did some not very good things, but thinking about it on way home he is a lone ranger in that backline, he often gets poor quality from Genia, who not only steps before passing at times, but steps towards his backline to give defense a head start. Also when you get teams that spread quickly on defence as a lot do now, and kicking becomes the option, you need real heads up play, you have to look where the opposition are and hopefully move them around, Reds don't seem to have this ability. And other thing a bloody good chase can turn an ordinary kick into a seemingly good one(and Reds certainly don't seem to know that)!!
To add the Saders were bloody good at time, and Sam Whitelock is a bloody beast!!!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I will also add, when Quade tried sidestepping late in the game I doubt whether he would of fooled a shortsighted 5 year old who had never played the game, could almost hear the Sader's player laughing as he tackled him.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Leave Quadey alone Fuckers!!!!! :D

Beside his monumental fuck ups tonight he also set up the tries so with out him reds will be truly fucked.
Cooper knows he is better then this and he is trying to make things happen with a team that is not getting coached at all.
He is a different player under link I reckon he will still be there at 10 and To'omua at 12 :cool:

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
I will also add, when Quade tried sidestepping late in the game I doubt whether he would of fooled a shortsighted 5 year old who had never played the game, could almost hear the Sader's player laughing as he tackled him.

You could hear the crowd yelling "RUN STRAIGHT" and "WHYYYYY".

Agree with your first post though, he really hasn't got much support around him and the brain explosions seem to be a mix of frustration and trying to do something when the rest of the team won't. Gee we look like a sorry bunch at the moment.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Farrk me, I really tested my mothers love by putting her through that second half footy. Poor soul doesn't deserve to watch 15 boys be slaughtered.

Absolutely gutted at that loss, it was truly a disgusting performance by that Reds outfit!

Could someone tell me what happened with the first try by Crockett? I thought Peyper had blown time off to have a chat to Horwill (there seemed to be two whistles blown) and the next thing you know, Crockett taps and scores.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Agree with your first post though, he really hasn't got much support around him and the brain explosions seem to be a mix of frustration and trying to do something when the rest of the team won't. Gee we look like a sorry bunch at the moment.
I not a Quade fan, but agree there were no options for him to take(no players running off him etc), that was why sidestep was never going to work.
Also agree with Sully, I never had impression Reds weren't trying, just they seemed a bit clueless??

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
@ Gnostic

On the evidence of the Reds' 2014 attack, Meehan surely would have to qualify on outcomes evident over 11 games as the worst Super attack coach in this year's S15.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Only if you like watching Giro D'somewhere cycling or a marathon run somewhere else.

Fox sports changed the channel from Fox 1 to Fox 3 but still advertised the game on Fox 1. If you set your IQ to record Fox 1 then its cycling or marathon for you.

If you like Reds rugby, then Cycling might be a better option for you.

Fox have outdown themselves - now I'm watching the medal presentation for the Czech marathon

M

Muttonbird

Don't know if this is relevant but I was doing some photography work at the hotel the Reds were staying at in Auckland last week (the Pullman hotel, in case anyone thinks I'm trolling) and they seemed flat the way an international rugby team should not be. If players are not fizzing every waking moment then what's the point?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
@Redshappy. Not sure of the try scoring/attack stats but they can't be good.

Foxsports stats show the Reds as the worst defensive side in the competition. With essentially the same squad as last year the difference could not be more stark.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I not a Quade fan, but agree there were no options for him to take(no players running off him etc), that was why sidestep was never going to work.
Also agree with Sully, I never had impression Reds weren't trying, just they seemed a bit clueless??

and almost totally leaderless. Big Kev just seems to be not up to the standard anymore. I actually thought he was going to cry during the post match interview with Sharpie.

I wonder how much leadership and influence on the team LFG has. Things seemed to dropped off in these areas since his injury.

He was Aust U20's captain wasn't he?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

A brain fart is a brain fart.
If he is taking poor options,he owns those decisions.
He is trying too hard,or he is playing with no support,do not excuse him at all.
He should be the calming influence,he is one of the most experienced players out there.He should be helping the weaker players.

Reactions: mst

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
He is trying too hard,or he is playing with no support,do not excuse him at all.
He should be the calming influence,he is one of the most experienced players out there.He should be helping the weaker players.

Ok sorry, he was shit. He should've plugged the corners and shovelled it on instead.

M

Muttonbird

Cooper has always done that. I remember at the RWC2011 AUS commentators saying the players around him weren't good enough to know what he was going to do next. That's not really the way to build a team.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
and almost totally leaderless. Big Kev just seems to be not up to the standard anymore. I actually thought he was going to cry during the post match interview with Sharpie.

I wonder how much leadership and influence on the team LFG has. Things seemed to dropped off in these areas since his injury.

He was Aust U20's captain wasn't he?
It is hard to believe they could have become so ordinary so quickly.
Kevin needs a sabbatical or something.
The passing seems like fling it and hope for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.