• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Force 2015 Super Rugby Rd 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Has to be Genias best game in something like two years. Hopefully he can put a few games in a row of that calibre. Thomson was a huge factor in the Reds forward getting ascendancy. Simply night and day having a better balance in the back three.

Nick stiles must be feeling like he'll get the nod for wallabies forwards coach. Reds scrims have been rock solid foR 18 months now.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I have to say Adam Thomson was man of the match for me. I thought his defence in particular was excellent. Along with Jake Schatz and Liam Gill - the constant effort around the pitch - all three didn't stop trying throughout the game, which was a standout for me - blood and guts for 80 minutes - not pretty, but pretty effective.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Tough win for the Reds after a shit week that wasn't helped by JOC (James O'Connor) ruled out in the warmup.

Their scrum was impressive against a Force side who seem to be struggling but weren't helped by van Wyk going off early.

Tough night for the backs but good to see Lachie Turner doing well.

Thought Thomson was good in his first game back too. Gill and Genia also impressive.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Stiles is friggen capable.

Steve "Mr Bean" Meehan and Richard "Field Marshall Haig " Graham can just fuck right off now please.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Graham said O'Connor accidentally stepped on Kerevi's foot right at the end of training on Thursday to cause his knee issue and was pulled as a precaution due to the high number of injuries in the backs.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
I couldn't believe the scrum. Daily was boring in every time and Gill Assisting. Couldn't catch a break in that second half. Didn't have a chance.

Force need to have a go more as well. Threw away way to much possession in the first half I don't know why we trust our backs. We have a bloody good backline

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The scrums were interesting. I have to say the Reds were obviously dominant. I thought Talakai in particular did very well. One thing Tom Lawton alluded to when commentating from the sideline was how referees will tend to pick on the weaker team when scrummaging, particularly after given away a few penalties. I thought the referee was a bit harsh on the Force. I think Daley could have been penalised at least once for angling in. With that being said, I think the Reds definitely won the scrum battle tonight, something Nick Stiles will be particularly pleased with.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
I struggled to stay at the ground in this one. Boring as sh**. I enjoy a good scrum, but the number of resets got beyond the point of ridiculous.

Both teams were far more evenly matched than the score would suggest. Take away a runaway try and a dodgy penalty try and it's a drawn game.

Sias Elbersohn really failed to impress me tonight and the Force offered little more than the Reds did in attack.

Does anybody know what the actual ruling on that penalty try was? From what I saw the left side of the Reds scrum were on their knees crawling, which would seem to indicate a penalty going the other way..

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Doesn't matter that we won 9 games last year and beat the reigning Super Rugby champions in round 1. There is still no respect for the Force. We get the usual patronising comments every year.

You better hope 'Dick' Graham stumbled across a coaching manual since last week.

b1aad6f0ac5b57bc0d3cea8bf5795c34.jpg

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Disappointing loss but I'm confident the Force can bounce back. Looked like the Force had switched off and we're heading home on the plane mentally after the on/off lead up to the game. Though the prop injuries are concerning as is our hookers poor throwing. Without a solid set piece our game falls to pieces.

Reds did well after a tumultuous week. Thompson is worth whatever your paying him. Added some starch and more importantly didn't give a damn what had come before. Seemed to break the sleep walk the Reds senior players have been in and showed them how to lead from the front again.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
He advanced at least 6 or 7 metres on his knees. Force infringed but so did Daly. Surely a reset would have been the right decision?
I told ref at previous scrum from 17 rows back that we could do with a penalty try & it was obviously quiet enough that he heard me. Either that or he'd had enough of repeated Force infringements at all the scrums on the preceding 5 minutes.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
It had all the hallmarks of a get-square for the disallowed try just before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That was the messiest game I have seen for many a year. Conditions played a part, but neither team really wanted to take it by the scruff of the neck. Think the very poor display of refereeing also contributed.

Some lowlights. Wouldn't want to be an outside back in the Force with Ebeshon at No 10.His first half was absolutely woeful. Godwin had the least effective game I've seen from him. McCalman nowhere near as effective as last week. Still ran strongly, but seemed to lose the ball quite a bit. Daly still can't scrummage. He advanced at least 6 or 7 meters on his knees in the scrum leading to the penalty try. Big Kev better than last week but has dropped way down the pecking order for Wallabies'lock spot.

Not much to commend either team in that game.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Great to get a win. The team looked a different mob to the guys that played last week. They promised redemption and from their end I feel they delivered. The core issues from last week other than attitude and intent were still there. But I don't think that surprised anyone.

I said it in my season preview but Thomson will be the buy of the season. I loved the guy at the highlanders and am very happy to have him in red. He was excellent tonight and will only get better.
Locking depth looks much better now with Dules having a good run and Murday into the stocks. His debut was solid and I think he will improve as he settles into the team.
Frisby was surprisingly good at 10. Makes me wonder why we fucked around with Duncan and Hunt.
As little of the ball our backs saw, I liked us having such a big backline. Fuck me though, some of our kick chases from them were woeful but. Thomson was one of our best kick chasers!!!
The props were great. we have unearthed some talent in Talakai and Faagese.
Brownings impact was good coming on for Schatz and that could be something we see more of. Schatz putting in 60mins of hard work and then Curtis coming on in the last 20 to go nuts.
Genia was much improved.
Turner was excellent. From now on, he takes all our penalty kicks for touch. He got so much more distance than Quade usually does!

I'm still worried about how we'll go this season as the fundamentals still appear to be fucked. What I'm happy about though is that the boys all seemed to find their inner QLDer tonight and played with some fucking fire in their bellies. Great to see!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.