• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Force 2015 Super Rugby Rd 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
if it becomes a kicking game, we lose.

In which game scenario do the Reds not lose?

Would think kicking gives us as good a chance as any of snagging a win. Ebersohn is very good but they get bad quickly, Reds at least have 2 slightly better than poor options.

Edit: beaten by Troy.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Agreed. remember what happened to Murphy from Brother's club who was having a particularly good Premier's season and got boosted up into the No 10 for Reds owing to a mass of injuries in the position ( 2012 or 2103, can't remember) - he totally underperformed, poor bastard.
Was probably his undoing.

I was going to use the exact same reference. Poor Dallan was thrown right into the deep end and it just went to show that being the best player in clubland doesn't mean you're ready for the big show. The Reds really do need to stick with an experienced head to help steer them through this period, it could wreck a young blokes career.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
JOC (James O'Connor) has always been a solid kicker, I'm interested to see if his time working with Wilkinson has improved it again. From what I saw in the doco they were practising place kicks and kicks in play.

My only concern is that given the previous game, he tries to do to much this game and ends up doing nothing!

M

Moono75

A couple of Force injuries from the Tahs game. Pek Cowan to miss a week after his neck and Haylett-Petty has a couple of broken bones in his foot which will see him out till the Force travel to South Africa. Heidberg and Mitch Scott to come into the squad.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
For any new parents that want to go to the game but are unsure about taking bub, have a look at the Reds latest initiative. Sounds like a parents suite for those with newborns! Great idea! You can try it out for free this weekend by the sounds of it! Details in the Proud Parents thread. Post #157.

Reactions: Ash

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Harris played very well just thought To'omua edged him. I would love Harris back in Red. Letting him and Lucas go with the backup 10 options left was crazy.

3 very good 10/12/15 options let go by the Reds over the past couple seasons.... Harris, Lucas and Lance. All very solid at Super level. Seems like the same QRU mistakes over and over again. IMO Lance was the one with most potential and he was the first they let go. Playing completely out of position at 15 and 13 for the Reds and doing a top job. Unfortunately now stuck behind the face of nsw/aus rugby, Beale, in Sydney.

I suspect they also see Taps as a potential 10 but he is injured as well.

Piggies will have to do a complete 180 this week.... the Force pack is one of the best in the comp IMO

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Is the Badger any chance of playing this game? Not sure what the state of his injury is?

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Is Sam Windsor still kicking around? Would have been handy right about now...
Edit signed to Worcester Warriors in England. A shame.

Anyway, if the reports about 100-300mm of rain are true, the result could come down to goal kicking.

Ebersohn and Holmes were really poor against the Tahs, so Reds by 18.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Goal kicking should be fine if JOC (James O'Connor) is playing but Hunt has been just ok.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Is Sam Windsor still kicking around? Would have been handy right about now.
Edit signed to Worcester Warriors in England. A shame.

Anyway, if the reports about 100-300mm of rain are true, the result could come down to goal kicking.

Ebersohn and Holmes were really poor against the Tahs, so Reds by 18.

Nice try Bairdy. you know that underdog-status doesn't belong to you

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I've been thinking about the City vs Spirit games a bit, given the teams are pretty close in players I think we should be playing to the advantages we had there. In particular the scrum. We dominated their scrum in the NRC Final, and in terms of scrummaging the additions we have compared to that game are significantly better than theirs. With the predicted rain there should be plenty of scrums from the get go. If we actually make use of the advantage (something the Tahs failed to do with their poor kicking game and short distance place kicker) we should be well placed. Baring injury, this is the team I want to see from the Reds:

1. Slipper
2. FTS
3. Talakai
4. McDuling
5. Kotze
6. Thomson
7. Gill
8. Browning
9. Genia
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Turner
12. FTA
13. Kerevi
14. Kurindrani
15. Hunt

16. Hanson
17. Paraka
18. Faagase
19. Horwill
20. Schatz
21. Robinson
22. Frisby
23. CFS

If FTA is injured than maybe Hunt to ic (if they've trained it), Turner to 15 and CFS on the wing with Magnay coming onto the bench. I feel like it'd be more balanced a centre pairing than last week but if they haven't prepared it then it might not be worth moving Hunt around so much.

A line ball call between Browning and Schatz to the bench but Browning's ruck work was great against the crusaders and the Force are really going to push us there. Horwill to the bench after his disgraceful run last week, though he could possibly convince otherwise during training.

Paraka in for Daley, I like Daley but his scrummaging is becoming a liability. Though ideally whoever it is won't be on until late in the game, Slipper should be playing more than 57 minutes. 6-2 split because this going to be a hard graft forwards game. I'm not certain on Beau's fitness, so if he's not an option it's probably between EOD, Fakaosilea and Korczyk. I'd be tempted to play Ben Adams from QLD Country, if the can get him up to speed, I thought he was at least as impressive as Korczyk in the NRC and seemed a bit more settled, otherwise probably Korczyk because the others discipline is too suspect right now. Buchanan is probably also an option.

Mostly I hope Stiles plays a larger role, he coached city to victory over spirit twice and was a big part of the Forces most recent move to becoming one of our harder opponents to beat. The more I think about this game the more I feel a loss will end Graham, even if it takes a few weeks for the axe to connect.

T

TOCC

Goal kicking should be fine if JOC (James O'Connor) is playing but Hunt has been just ok.

JOC (James O'Connor) was doing a fair bit of goal kicking and training in France with Wilko coaching wasn't he?

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Nice try Bairdy. you know that underdog-status doesn't belong to you
Your team is stacked with precocious talent, ours is made up of honest toilers with no x factor.

Bear in mind also that the bulk of the Brisbane City team who dismantled the Perth Spirit in the NRC final are playing in the Reds against the Force - made up of the bulk of the Spirit.

I hope the Force can keep within touching distance at Fortress Suncorp.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Wilson has fucking nailed the team that the Reds should run.

How much fun would it be to have Paraka and Fa'agase jogging down the touch line to warm up eyeballing Hoskins, van Wyk and the other boys that they dominated in the NRC final?

Any update on how far away Taps is?

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I reckon the Spirit had an off night in the NRC final. They were tired from tackling their hearts out against the Rebels Rising.

That being said, the Force will be tired from all the tackling they had to do against the Waratahs. The Reds won't need to worry about tiredness.....

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
If JJ is out then JOC (James O'Connor) has to be at 15, or Turner even. Doesn't matter if Hunt trained there during the preseason. JOC (James O'Connor) has at least been playing at 15 somewhat recently and if the Force started finding Special K out of position at the back it wouldn't matter who our 10 was because we'd end the game with no possession or territory.

B

Bobby Sands

If JJ is out then JOC (James O'Connor) has to be at 15, or Turner even. Doesn't matter if Hunt trained there during the preseason. JOC (James O'Connor) has at least been playing at 15 somewhat recently and if the Force started finding Special K out of position at the back it wouldn't matter who our 10 was because we'd end the game with no possession or territory.

Really?

I think it will be more important to utilise JOC (James O'Connor)'s experience at ten rather than at the back.

K might be found out positionally from time to time, but I don't think it will be such an issue that Sias, or whoever will be kicking the ball will be just peeling off territory and pinning us into the corner all night. If K is that far off the money, which I don't think he is, than he shouldn't be starting at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.