• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Rebels 31 Jan in Cairns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Geez guys, chill out! It was the first trial, played in greasy conditions with a number of guys new to the team and the structures. If you expected any more than what we got tonight, you were kidding yourself.

I was just stoked to see the Reds playing again! We'll be right! :D

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
These are trials. Let's wait till the season begins before we write them off.
I am aware they are trials, but I was hopeful of seeing at least something that would be different to last year given all the talk through the off season (and the end of year review).

I didn't.

I saw exactly the same as last year - and that is precisley what I said. I said nothing more than that.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
I agree with gel. I had the same impression, the Reds looked the same as they did last year, they still don't seem to take any notice of what the other team is doing.

Reactions: gel

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I would give Duncan another week. 1st match, in Cairns, in January. If he's shit again next week then he's got problems.

Was tonight worse than Quade's Benny Hill effort v the Chiefs in 07?

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
A fair point that @Scoey.

I'll compare this year's trial match to last year's trial match instead:

Well both teams quite rusty, but rebels showing more composure, ability, skill, passion, and infinitely better drilled than the reds so able to actually score points. I see the exact same reds as last year's trial match against the rebels: strong set piece but absolutely nothing else in their favour.

:p

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I will say this though, the 2014 trial was our 2nd or maybe even 3rd hit out and we were pretty much full strength from memory.
Tonight was the first game, the conditions were greasy and we have a fair bit of talent still to join us.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Stilesy doing good work with the Reds' pack.
The backs looked like they met in the carpark 30 minutes before the game.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Backs defense made Mike Harris look like Joe Rokocoko out there at times. Lots of opportunities on attack blown at the last second by stuff like knock ons, etc.

Need to rewatch the stream - looks like they're keeping it up.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
First trial - jeez I thought they would be better than that

Backs need a lot of improvement. Set pieces looked ok. The young props went very well.

Being positive, Duncan can probably improve.

Reg and Dales did a good commentary

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Only watched the second half, but didn't see KHunt in any of the action. Admittedly, the conditions looked fairly poor and the Reds didn't play open, backline-based rugby in that stanza, but the Rebels turned on some promising attack and looked the better prepared side. But they did last year too.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I reckon KHunt would have looked very impressive if he was running the ball back into the Reds defence last night.
I think he will prove to be a good signing,assuming he stays healthy.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I've watched about 50 minutes of this now and Duncan Paia'aua hasn't looked as bad I was expecting based on others' comments.

For a first go in a scrappy game, he seemed to fare alright.

It looked a bit like his only option was a flat cut out pass but generally the ball runner got smashed.

He made a couple of poor kicks in attack but he wasn't the only one.

I'd give him another go next week.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I watched the stream with half an eye on the Socceroos so can't comment in detail, other than to note that trials are trials and should be kept in that context.

The Rebels bitchslapped teams last year and ended up eating dust all season, so read little into it.

Reactions: daz
T

TOCC

Reds were really dominated at the breakdown in the last third conceding plenty of turnovers and losing meters, you have to wonder how much of that had to do with all the reserves been on the field though... The forward pack in the last 3rd had 5 backrowers in the forward pack. Kotze and Korczyk are both backrowers but were playing lock, and then Gun and Robinson were the flankers with Lolo at number 8.

Once Shatz, Slipper, Fainga'a and Horwill left the field the Reds forwards started to struggle around the breakdown and in defence... I think the Reds were actually leading 14-8 when all those players were on the field.

D

daz

The Rebels bitchslapped teams last year and ended up eating dust all season, so read little into it.

Exactly this. Rebels in 2014: Won all trials, smashed the Cheetahs in round 1 and came home with a wooden spoon for a sail.

Those being critical of either team in the first hit out should just chill; we don't really know anything about either team yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.