• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Rebels, Super Rugby Round 16, 1 June 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paradox

Charge down! There were not two.

Hrmm I think there were 2. Cooper booted it straight into someone for the second. I felt so bad for guy as I wanted him to play well but unfortunately those charge downs gave the naysayers a lot of ammunition. I was delighted with his resolve to score that try. I agree though that JOC (James O'Connor) was anonymous. Cooper at least asserted himself on the game. THe Reds didn't have a lot kicking options around Cooper

I fear that the W back line against the Lions will have no points in them without Cooper at 10. Just like last year.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I'm not quite sure that's true. Deans was happy to play Giteau and Barnes at 12 for a long time. We slayed on attack but were equally carved up on defence. Then he freaked out about that in the WC year and started picking McCabe/Fainga'a. That was compounded by injuries last year.

Deans really isn't an idiot. I think we're going to see somewhat of a combination of the two styles. We won't see the incredible width we saw with Quade at 10 in 2010, but it isn't going to be the stifling nothing-ness of the last couple of years. Lilo is a strong enough defensive centre that his extra playmaking ability should see him over the line. I might be being overly optimistic, but I expect to see Lilo at 12 and Beale at 15. With those two in the fold I reckon we'll see lots of interchanging between first receiver between all three players.

I don't share your optimism.

And I don't think Beale should be in the squad. He couldn't play for the Rebels how can he be selected for the wallabies. It would be a great big joke if he gets the nod.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
You've got me on the age. Except 15 is far more similar to 14 than 12 is, and his test stats on the wing are infinitely more impressive than at 15.
Because he's not actually a great 15. He struggles to get involved. There's a bit of a myth about him being amazing in open space, which isn't quite true. He's almost better in the 'tight-loose' to steal a term from the forwards. He does his best work in broken play, turning tiny gaps into open space and then linking up with support runners. He works well off the wing because he cuts back inside and goes searching for work. At fullback he seems to struggle to know where to properly inject himself. The centres is the logical place to play him, I just hope we see it next year.

As for last night, he had a pretty strong first half. Certainly did everything Deans will have wanted. Faded out in the second when the Rebels pigs were getting bashed and he hardly saw the ball. People are being wilfully blind both ways here - for Cooper and for JOC (James O'Connor).

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I don't share your optimism.

And I don't think Beale should be in the squad. He couldn't play for the Rebels how can he be selected for the wallabies. It would be a great big joke if he gets the nod.
I don't think anyone who has spent even the slightest amount of time here in the last couple of weeks would be surprised by that.

As for Beale, he didn't play for the Rebels because he wasn't well. Apparently now he is. I don't have any inside information on him, so I'm not going to put on my tin foil hat and say I know for a fact that he isn't. What I do know is that when fit he's one of the very best players in Australia, he's a proven matchwinner, and any combination of him, Folau and JOC (James O'Connor) is going to be beyond horrendous to deal with for the Lions.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I don't think anyone who has spent even the slightest amount of time here in the last couple of weeks would be surprised by that.

As for Beale, he didn't play for the Rebels because he wasn't well. Apparently now he is. I don't have any inside information on him, so I'm not going to put on my tin foil hat and say I know for a fact that he isn't. What I do know is that when fit he's one of the very best players in Australia, he's a proven matchwinner, and any combination of him, Folau and JOC (James O'Connor) is going to be beyond horrendous to deal with for the Lions.

You can stop the crap with the tin foil hat. What I am talking about is basic logic. He is well enough to play for Randwick, not well enough to play or train with the Rebels, not well enough to rehab outside of Sydney but you think he is well enough to be selected for the most high pressure series he will likely ever play in?

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I am going with basic logic. I don't know Beale's situation. Deans and the rest of the selection panel do. They've also forgotten more about rugby than I will likely ever know. If they say he's ready, I'm happy to believe them.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
No, what Deans is saying is:

Despite punching team mates, drinking when you shouldn't be and not being able to turn up and play for the club that pays a portion of your wage, we'd like you to receive special treatment and come and train with us next week so we can try and sneak you into the squad so that your abilities can be used to help save my arse.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
The selection panel are picking the squad they best think can beat the Lions. If they think Beale is fit enough to be a part of that then so be it.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
With a longer term perspective in mind, I am most sincerely pleased that Quade's mistakes last night have nailed the coffin shut on his BIL selection prospects:

(a) Quade's relationship with Deans will not and cannot be repaired. Esssentially, both parties have by their conduct towards each other made that clear, if we look beneath the surface.

(b) Deans will never design a style of team and set of game plans to suit a player like Quade. That much has been clear since Deans' inner confidence as a national coach began to crack pre-RWC and he migrated his operating philosopy to a
far more 'conservative' and seemingly risk-averse one. He will almost certainly not change this for the BIL and trying to re-fit Quade back into a Deans Mk III Wallaby mode that will not suit him is a recipe for mutually assured destruction (MAD).

(c) Deans is a blamer, not a responsibility-taker. Should Quade have made any form of blame-able error in a BIL Test, Deans' media manager (btw Deans best appointment to his under staff, by far) would have leaked against Quade just as he as done for the past six weeks or so. Quade's confidence would in that public media-frenzied scenario take an awful knock, and both he and his playing strength would seriously deteriorate leading to yet more MAD.

(d) if (c) had transpired, I'd almost guarantee Quade would decide he'd had enough and could not prosper further in Australian rugby (especially with Link gone from the Reds), and thus move to league or the NH/Japan.

(e) many here would welcome (d), but many here in QLD would not. Those of us who've had real contact with Quade know him to be a really good, genuine person, with an equally genuine passion for rugby. He's uneven and makes mistakes, but he contributes way more than he takes. He's played a massive role in making QLD Australia's most dynamic, growing rugby State and with a financially and commercially successful QRU that delivered a crowd of 31,000 last night whereas other states are struggling financially with S15 crowds of 10,000-16,000. He's a rugby hero to many rugby playing kids here and many of us rugby loving parents hold him in high regard and want him to survive and develop further in this great game, as there are already too few of his ilk.

Redsman

Allen Oxlade (6)
(f) SURELY, SURELY - the ARU will see the light and instill Link as next wallaby coach. Then we can play to the strengths of our team rather than a pre-meditated strategy than may have worked for crusaders in the mid 2000s (with a nearly exculsive AB team). Writings on the wall unfortunately but QC (Quade Cooper) at least deserves a bench spot.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It was 'Worst crowd in rugby. Boo Boo Boo', by the usual suspect.

Sorry I got it so wrong.
Well, you replied about a different post, and I had dealt with that. If you have a problem with a post, report the post or quote the post, but I really don't need tips in the thread from you on how to run things, if it's all the same.

Hoolly Doolly

Fred Wood (13)
Im not in total agreeance with JOC (James O'Connor) being a great winger or fullback. As far as finishing goes yes for sure.
The allblacks deliberately targeted his wing at times. Lost count how many tries Corey Jane scored on o'conners wing either through JOC (James O'Connor) lack of trust of his team mate inside of him or just caught way out of position. JOC (James O'Connor) is a Rabbit alright.....for a while there he was Corey Janes Bunny

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Well, you replied about a different post, and I had dealt with that. If you have a problem with a post, report the post or quote the post, but I really don't need tips in the thread from you on how to run things, if it's all the same.

Sorry, I missed the original slurs being dealt with, certainly no retractions or deletions.

To be honest it appears that a certain individual gets away with a lot more on here than others do. I've reported his posts before and no action was taken.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
You don't agree? What crowd boos the ref as much when they don't like the decisions?

Every crowd boos the ref at one time or another, however the Qld one has twice as many as most NZ and Aus teams so you probably hear it more. Have you been to a game at suncorp that didn't involve the waratahs?

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
RedsHappy

Could not agree with your post more. Especially e). No matter what people say, he is an absolute legend to kids around Australia AND New Zealand and he gets the game more publicity (yes good and bad) than any other player past or present. The number of times I have heard phrases like "oh mate you're pretty much Quade Cooper", "Can you do those Quade flick passes?", "Did you see his stepping?" etc. etc. is amazing and its exactly what the game needs when competing with the likes of NRL and AFL.

In regards to the game itself, it was extremely weird and I think we have seen that Cooper still has a fair bit to do in terms of that consistency. But lets not forget the the All Blacks flyhalf was charged down twice only a week ago... Why are people saying there was only one charge down? Looked like two to me....

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
I had almost finished by 12 step Quadeitis program. I was right on the brink of recovery. But then he went and did this.

Look in the background at 12.06 to 12.09

Status
Not open for further replies.