• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds V Sharks - Round 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I read with interest in today's The Australian an article by Wayne Smith titled
Changes to one-trick Reds likely
It reported that Mckenzie was bewildered at the Reds over use of the pick & drive and driving maul, with not enough ball going out to the backs to do their thing.
Much like happened against the Brumbies the previous week, with much the same result - a lot of work in the opposition 22 for a belated try.
Expect some changes to personnel and tactics against the Sharks!

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...rick-reds-likely/story-e6frg7o6-1226635633554

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
So with changes in mind.......

1-Daley
2- Hanson (ffs he needs to be here every week)
3- Slipper
4- Simmons
5- Horwill
6- Quirk
7- Gill
8- Shatz
9- Genia
10- Cooper
11- Ioane
12- Tapuai
13- Fainga'a
14- Feauai-Sautia
15- Lucas

Bench: Fainga'a, Holmes, O'Donoghue, Samo, Robinson, Lance, Shipperely

I would not be suprised if Robinson was started ahead of Quirk if the game plan is to play more expansive. Daley & Hanson also suit that style.

In the backs I thought Shipperely and Lance were useless. I said it last week, Lucas is far better at doing the job at 15. Shipperely looked lost, and has for most of the season, enough chances, warm the pine.

The bench is something that may change as well with Buttler, Samo & Robinson there. Buttler has looked solid when playing, but the X-Factor of Samo may be too much to refuse.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
1. Holmes
2. Hanson
3. Slipper
4. Simmons
5. Horwill
6. Quirk
7. Gill
8. Schatz
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Fainga'a
13. CFS
14. Davies
15. Lance

Res: Fainga'a, Daley, ODonoghue, Butler, Lucas, Tapuai, Shipperley

Reactions: gel

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I'd love to see CFS at 13. Would probably have to move Ant to 12 and Taps to the bench on current form though.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Reds at a canter. The Sharks injury count is ridiculous. 16 squad members includign a lot of their big names. F Steyn now also gone.

Add to that the fact that Lambie has been really disappointing in attack.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
So with changes in mind...

1-Daley
2- Hanson (ffs he needs to be here every week)
3- Slipper
4- Simmons
5- Horwill
6- Quirk
7- Gill
8- Shatz
9- Genia
10- Cooper
11- Ioane
12- Tapuai
13- Fainga'a
14- Feauai-Sautia
15- Lucas

Bench: Fainga'a, Holmes, O'Donoghue, Samo, Robinson, Lance, Shipperely

I would not be suprised if Robinson was started ahead of Quirk if the game plan is to play more expansive. Daley & Hanson also suit that style.

In the backs I thought Shipperely and Lance were useless. I said it last week, Lucas is far better at doing the job at 15. Shipperely looked lost, and has for most of the season, enough chances, warm the pine.

The bench is something that may change as well with Buttler, Samo & Robinson there. Buttler has looked solid when playing, but the X-Factor of Samo may be too much to refuse.

Tiger,
like that team but is Daleys hammy ok ???? and reckon Taps should get a rest - he really hasn't quite excited me as he did last year. Maybe a touch of the "pine" will really motivate him. If so, would put davies at wing and CFS at centre

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
What has the weather been like in Brisbane? Starting to chill down at night? I am coming down for this match. Plane gets in about 11:00am on Friday. Staying at a place about 10 minute walk from Roma street station so will foot falcon to the game. Any ideas where to get a good feed before heading to the game? A good counter meal or something along those line would be great. I generally go early to avoid the crowd buildup and catch the curtin raiser (more rugby for your dime I say).

Banana skin game this one. Don't forget this mob came to town last year and belted us. Don't let it happen again.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
What has the weather been like in Brisbane? Starting to chill down at night? I am coming down for this match. Plane gets in about 11:00am on Friday. Staying at a place about 10 minute walk from Roma street station so will foot falcon to the game. Any ideas where to get a good feed before heading to the game? A good counter meal or something along those line would be great. I generally go early to avoid the crowd buildup and catch the curtin raiser (more rugby for your dime I say).

Banana skin game this one. Don't forget this mob came to town last year and belted us. Don't let it happen again.

bring a coat mate. Be cool once the sun goes down. As far as food goes coming from your direction there's a tonne of places which spoils you for choice. Not sure the pick though, been ages since i ate anywhere around there. Beers are $7 each once you get in the gate. Not sure your thirst requirements.

T

TOCC

The Reds need an injection of excitement in the backline, they have been stifled recently..

I think Lucas as a second playmaker at fullback would alleviate some pressure on Quade and create more opportunties, also i'd like to see Ioane and CFS as the starting wingers.. Im happy to keep Taps and Fainga'a as the starting centres, they have a good defensive combo going on at the moment.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member

We're staying in the city too. I'm flying in from Mt Isa about 2:30 and will be looking for somewhere to eat if you want to meet up.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
We're staying in the city too. I'm flying in from Mt Isa about 2:30 and will be looking for somewhere to eat if you want to meet up.

Sounds good Sully. I will PM you my phone number and we can work something out.

bring a coat mate. Be cool once the sun goes down. As far as food goes coming from your direction there's a tonne of places which spoils you for choice. Not sure the pick though, been ages since i ate anywhere around there. Beers are $7 each once you get in the gate. Not sure your thirst requirements.

Cheers redstragic. I am a XXXX drinker and getting it fresh is always a highlight coming to town. Normally good for a few beers but always concious of the need to view the game rather than the urinal. :) if caxton street isn't to busy a few pit stops may be in order.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
This is a game I am worried about, whenever you play a team that is missing so many players and just lost to a poor team you need to be worried.

I would definately bench a few players, for a rest but let thim think it is due to form and wanting to try something new.

By giving guys like CFS a starting spot you are sure he is going to grasp it with both hands and do his best work to try to get a regular starting spot, and when his replacement comes on he will be wanting to win his spot back.

I would look at Tapuai on the bench with CFS taking his spot. I would start with Saia but tell him that he is only getting 25 minutes before Hanson comes on as you want to increase Hansons time on the field. I would be tempted to let Beau have a start and let him go crazy with Saia for the first 25 minutes then bench him.

With the SA trip looming I would love to be in a position where QC (Quade Cooper) and Sanchez can have a rest at the end of the game, or let Lucas start and then switch to 15 at the end of the game.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Now the Guppies lose their backup hooker. This is the worst run of injuries I can ever remember.

Off the top of my head these are missing:
F Steyn, P Jordaan, Bismarck, Beast, Alberts, Ndungane, Whitehead (12 - who was part of the reason they had such a good run last year), Burden, Reinach, Ludik, Mtembu (very promising loosie did his knee last weekend)

They only just got Deysel, Mvovo and JP Pietersen back.

Kankowski has been in poor shape and left at home.

So something like:
Viljoen, Some new bloke, JPP, the old bloke, Mvovu, Lambie, McCleod, Daniel (needs to wake up), Deysel, Coetzee (what has happened to him?), Bresler, PS du Toit, Jannie (has been crap), Cooper, The 3 who is now playing at 1 and actually doing very well.

Bench: Bunch of jetlagged people who have just been flown in.

If the Reds can't get 5 points they do not deserve to get anywhere near the 6 this year.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Now the Guppies lose their backup hooker. This is the worst run of injuries I can ever remember.

Off the top of my head these are missing:
F Steyn, P Jordaan, Bismarck, Beast, Alberts, Ndungane, Whitehead (12 - who was part of the reason they had such a good run last year), Burden, Reinach, Ludik, Mtembu (very promising loosie did his knee last weekend)

They only just got Deysel, Mvovo and JP Pietersen back.

Kankowski has been in poor shape and left at home.

So something like:
Viljoen, Some new bloke, JPP, the old bloke, Mvovu, Lambie, McCleod, Daniel (needs to wake up), Deysel, Coetzee (what has happened to him?), Bresler, PS du Toit, Jannie (has been crap), Cooper, The 3 who is now playing at 1 and actually doing very well.

Bench: Bunch of jetlagged people who have just been flown in.

If the Reds can't get 5 points they do not deserve to get anywhere near the 6 this year.

Blue =- tough call re the 5 - would have thought we'd have 5 in each Force game but not to be.

Reds will be there at the end, either heading up Aussie Conference but certainly at 4, 5 or 6.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Cheers redstragic. I am a XXXX drinker and getting it fresh is always a highlight coming to town. Normally good for a few beers but always concious of the need to view the game rather than the urinal. :) if caxton street isn't to busy a few pit stops may be in order.

Have you been on the XXXX Brewery Tour before? There'll be one at 4pm that would run you up until the game nicely. Tour, then beers and dinner at their restuarant and then off to the match.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Blue =- tough call re the 5 - would have thought we'd have 5 in each Force game but not to be.

Reds will be there at the end, either heading up Aussie Conference but certainly at 4, 5 or 6.

The Sharks can pick a full 15 from their injured list. They can still field a half decent team but if you compare to the team that beat the Reds in the playoffs this one will be well off the mark. Reds would really have to muck it up to not get the 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.